|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 102nd Division was a Division of the Francoist Army that played an important role in the Spanish Civil War . Commanded by Colonel Antonio Castejón , [ 1 ] the division came to act on the Extremadura and Ebro fronts.
The division was created in mid-1937, although it was in the process of formation until October of that year; at that time it was lining up about 10,800 men. [ 2 ] Initially under the command of Colonel Izquierdo, it would be commanded by Colonel Antonio Castejón . [ 3 ] The division was initially arranged as a reserve for the Army of the South . [ 3 ]
In July 1938 the 102nd Division participated in the Francoist offensive to close the Merida Stock Exchange, integrated into a grouping of the Army of the South . [ 4 ] The offensive began on July 20 and in just a few days the Francoist forces managed to surround - and destroy - numerous republican forces of the Army of Extremadura . [ 5 ] On July 26, while still on the Extremadura front, the unit was called to move urgently to the Ebro sector . [ 6 ] [ 7 ]
Upon arrival in the Ebro, the division was assigned to the Moroccan Army Corps , [ 8 ] having an outstanding participation in the fighting that took place during the following months. At the end of the battle he returned to the front of Extremadura.
After the end of the war, the unit was assigned to the military forces of the Moroccan protectorate.
- Alpert , Michael (1989). The republican army in the civil war . Siglo XXI Editores.
- Besolí , Andreu; Sesalí , David; Hernández , Xavier; Íñiguez , David; Luque , Joan Carles (2005). Ebro 1938 . Barcelona: Inedita Editores. ISBN 84-96364-27-5 .
- Cabrera Castillo , Francisco (2002). From the Ebro to Gandesa. The battle of the Ebro, July-November 1938 . Battlement.
- Engel , Carlos (2000). History of the divisions of the national army . Almena Editions.
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- VV.AA. (1990). General history of Spain and America XVII . The second republic and the civil war . Madrid: Rialp Editions.