The 12th Supreme People's Assembly of North Korea was formed after the 2009 general election . It is the Supreme People's Assembly in the 12th legislative period and thus formally the highest power of the state. It has 687 members. 
The Supreme People's Assembly meetings are held in the Mansudae Congress Hall. With a few exceptions, Parliament meets once a year.
The constituent session of the newly elected parliament took place on April 9, 2009.  In this case, the agenda Kim Jong-il was "solemnly" as according to Chairman of the National Defense Commission re-elected. It was also Kim Yong-nam confirmed as parliamentary speaker again. The following were also elected to the Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly:
- Yang Hyong-sop , Vizepräsident
- Kim Yong-dae, Vice President (Chairman of the KSDP)
- Kim Yŏng-ju , Honorary Vice President
- Mr Ch'oe Yŏng-rim , Secretary-General
- Ryu Mi-yong (Chairman of the Chondoist Ch'ŏngu Party)
- Kang Yong-sop (Chairman of the Christian Federation of Korea )
- Sim Sang-jin
- Hong Sok-hyong
- Kim Yang-gon
- Ri Yong-chol
- Kim Pyong-p'al
- Kang Chang-uk
- Ro Song-sil
- Pyon Yong-rip
- T'ae Hyong-chol
In addition to Kim Jong-il, the following were elected members of the National Defense Commission:
- Jo Myong-rok , First Vice Chairman
- Kim Yŏng-ch'un , vice chairman
- Ri Yong-mu , vice chairman
- O Kŭng-nyŏl , Vice Chairman
- Jon pyong-ho
- Kim Il-chol
- Paek se-bong
- Chang Sung-taek
- Ju Sang-song
- U Tong-chuk
- Ju Kyu-chang
- Kim Jong-no
Kim Yong-il was confirmed as head of government. Likewise were other government members voted. Ri Kil-song was confirmed in the office of the Attorney General . Kim Pyong-nyul became chairman of the Supreme Court . 
In addition, a constitutional amendment was confirmed, according to which the National Defense Commission is from now on the highest state office in North Korea. The powers of the commission were expanded and the number of members increased, and for the first time civil functionaries were added. 
An extraordinary meeting was called for June 7, 2010.  In the course of a comprehensive government reshuffle , Choe Yong-rim was elected Prime Minister and Chang Sung-taek , Kim Jong-il's brother-in-law, was elected Vice-Chairman of the National Defense Commission.  Subsequently, the Ch'oe Yŏng-rim cabinet formed the government of North Korea.
At the fifth meeting 13 April 2012  was Kim Jong-un was appointed first chairman of the National Defense Commission. It was also decided to change the constitution of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea , which declared the state to be a nuclear power . 
The agenda for the 6th meeting consisted of two points: the increase in compulsory schooling from eleven to twelve years  and organizational issues. MEP Choe Thae-bok gave the presentation on the extension of compulsory schooling .
Honors Hong In-bom , chief secretary of the Party Committee of the South Phyongan Province Labor Party , and Jon Yong-nam , chairman of the Central Committee of the Youth Socialist League Kim Il-sung, were elected members of the Bureau of the Supreme People's Assembly. Kwak Pŏm-gi took over the chairmanship of the budget commission of the Supreme People's Assembly after Choe Hui-jong , who had taken over the post by then, was ousted.  
In the run-up to the meeting, the main suspicions were that economic reforms were being announced, particularly in the field of agriculture. 
The ordinary meeting on April 1, 2013 took place after North Korea terminated the non-aggression pact with South Korea and declared that it was at war with the South. At the meeting, a decision taken the day before by the Central Committee of the Labor Party on economic growth and the expansion of the nuclear arsenal should be approved.  Pak Pong-ju was elected head of government a second time and succeeded Choe Yong-rim .  In addition, the Space Development Act was passed, which also established the National Aerospace Development Administration . 
- The Economist Intelligence Unit: Country Report North Korea. London, Mai 2007. S. 8
- First Session of 12th SPA of DPRK Held ( English ) kcna.co.jp. Archived from the original on February 21, 2014. Retrieved on December 23, 2012.
- SPA of DPRK Meets ( English ) kcna.co.jp. Archived from the original on May 17, 2013. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- A North Korea after Kim Jong Il (PDF) kas.de. P. 83. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- Choe Yong Rim Elected PM ( English ) kcna.co.jp. Archived from the original on May 17, 2013. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- KCNA : Page no longer available , search in web archives: Jang Song Thaek Elected NDC Vice-Chairman
- 12th SPA’s 4th session roundup (englisch) North Korean Economy Watch. Abgerufen am 23. Dezember 2012.
- Supreme People's Assembly meets in Pyongyang: landmark decisions expected
- 5th session of the 12th Supreme Peoples’ Assembly (englisch) North Korean Economy Watch. Abgerufen am 23. Dezember 2012.
- We ARE a nuclear power: North Korea’s chilling claim in new constitution, 1. Juni 2012
- TV report on the 6th session (Korean)
- 6th session of the 12th Supreme Peoples’ Assembly (englisch) North Korean Economy Watch. Abgerufen am 23. Dezember 2012.
- Students now have 12 years to attend school from September 25, 2012
- All Talk and No Reform? nknews.org of September 25, 2012 (English)
- 6th session of the 12th Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK . KFA Switzerland. September 26, 2012. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- North Korea wants to reform agriculture from tagesschau.sf.tv of September 24, 2012.
- The north is moderating its tone ( memento from April 1, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) , Tagesschau from April 1, 2013.
- New premier in the north, sharp tones in the south ( memento from April 3, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) , Tagesschau from April 1, 2013
- KOREA NEWS SERVICE(KNS): National Aerospace Development Administration of DPRK vom March 31. 2014 Juche 103; abgerufen am 31. Mai 2014 (Memento vom 6. April 2014 im Internet Archive)