|132nd Mixed Brigade|
|Active||June 11, 1937 - March 28, 1939|
|Rama/s||People's Army of the Republic|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War :|
The 132nd Mixed Brigade was a unit of the Republican People's Army formed in defense of the Second Spanish Republic during the Spanish Civil War , created on June 11 , 1937 from the Macià-Companys Column and that organically depended on the 30. ª Division , included in the XII Corps of the Army of the Republic.
It was made up of 4 battalions: 2 from the Catalan State , 1 from the PSUC and 1 organized from the first military regiment organized in Lérida . Each battalion was subdivided into 4 companies. Many of its members came from the «Macià-Companys» column , made up of Catalan nationalists from the Catalan Statistical Office and the ERC .
It was incorporated into the 30th Division . [ 1 ] [ 2 ] Immediately after training was sent to Teruel , which had an outstanding performance in the areas of Cervera of the Corner , Armillas , Utrillas and Pancrudo . They also incorporated rural areas of Teruel that were under the control of the CNT-FAI anarchists under the control of the Republic , restoring a certain order. On February 5, 1938, they defended the positions of the Francoist offensive in Utrillas and Montalbán . [ n. 1] A month later, on March 9, 1938, during the offensive of the Francoist troops toSan Martín del RíoandViver del Río, they held the position for five days, being decorated with the distinction ofNiño de Combate.
On March 14, they relieved the position of the 68th Division in Palomar del Arroyo and staged a heroic resistance in Alcolea del Pinar . On April 23, they replaced the 117th Mixed Brigade in Molinos ( Torre de Cabdella ), where they were attacked with artillery and aviation by the Francoist side, and withdrew towards La Iglesuela del Cid and Villafranca del Cid . In May they withdrew towards the Albocácer- Castellón highway , acquiring a strong position in the Mola de Ares (mountain located in Ares del Maestre ). When Castellón de la Plana fell in June 1938 , they retreated towardsAlcalá de Chivert and, in August, Chiva de Morella .
In January 1939 it was attached to the 51st Division , in Extremadura. A few months later, in March, they were sent to the port of Alicante to be evacuated, but the ships did not arrive and they were taken prisoner. Many of them were sent to the Albatera concentration camp , from which some were able to leave with endorsements from people addicted to Franco. The commanders who failed to flee into exile were executed by the Francoists.
- infantry commander Eduardo López Gómez ;
- militia major Francisco Villamón Ustal ;
- militia major Antonio Bárcena Rufo ;
- Although many of its troops undertook the flight in a disorderly way, reaching more than one hundred soldiers for these reasons. [ 3 ]
- Alpert , Michael (1989). The republican army in the civil war . Siglo XXI Editores.
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Maldonado , José M.ª (2007). The front of Aragon. The Civil War in Aragon (1936-1938) . Look Editors. ISBN 978-84-8465-237-3 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.
- Additional bibliography