146th Mixed Brigade (People's Army of the Republic) - 146.ª Brigada Mixta (Ejército Popular de la República)
|146th Mixed Brigade|
|Active||May 1937 - January 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 146th Mixed Brigade was a unit of the Popular Army of the Republic created during the Spanish Civil War . Throughout the war he operated on the fronts of Aragon, Segre and Catalonia, although he did not have a relevant role.
The unit was created in May-June 1937, in Catalonia. Although initially attached to the 44th Division , [ 1 ] later it became attached to the 30th Division of the XII Army Corps and assigned to the Teruel front . The leadership of the unit fell to Lieutenant Colonel Enrique Correa Cañedo , with Pedro Suñol as political commissioner. [ 2 ]
In March 1938, the 146th BM was surprised by the fanist offensive on the Aragon front, and was soon surrounded in a bag by the Italian forces of the Corpo Truppe Volontarie ; the unit managed to escape the encirclement, albeit at the cost of heavy wear and tear. His remains were withdrawn to the north of the Ebro river , [ n. 1 ] regrouping with other troops from the division near Valdomá, on the Segre front. On August 9, he moved to the Villanueva de la Barca bridgehead as a reserve force, although in the end he would not intervene in the fighting. [ 2 ] At the end of the year, at the beginning of thecampaign in Catalonia , the brigade was still attached to the 30th Division. [ 5 ] Faced with pressure from the enemy, he had to retreat to the north; On January 23, 1939, as it marched towards Vich , the 146th BM dispersed and was destroyed. [ 2 ]
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Maldonado , José M.ª (2007). The front of Aragon. The Civil War in Aragon (1936-1938) . Look Editors. ISBN 978-84-8465-237-3 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1975). Arrival at the sea . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- —— (1979). The Campaign of Catalonia . Madrid: San Martín.