1621 - 1621
|Years||1618 1619 1620 ← 1621 → 1622 1623 1624|
|Decades||1590s 1600s 1610s ← 1620s → 1630s 1640s 1650s|
|Centuries||16th century ← 17th century → 18th century|
|Annual table of the 17th century|
- February 14 : in Rome, Cardinal Ludovisio is elected pope with the name of Gregory XV .
- February 17 : in present-day Venezuela, Petare Parish is founded .
- February 27 : Dutch Jan Pieterszoon Coen lands on the Banda Islands during an expedition that will result in the extermination of the native population. [ 1 ]
- March 14 : dissolution of the Protestant Union .
- March 31 : after the death of Felipe III , his son Felipe IV becomes King of Spain and Portugal.
- May 2 : the disastrous Panama Earthquake of 1621 occurs .
- June 3 : founding of the Netherlands West Indies Company .
- October 10 : in present-day Peru, the Colegio San Francisco de Borja is founded . [ 2 ]
- April : The Eighty Years' War is resumed when the twelve-year truce between Spain and the Netherlands expires .
- April 5 : The Mayflower , the ship that brought English settlers to the United States , begins a journey back to Great Britain .
- April 7 : In Spain the aristocrat Pedro Girón is taken prisoner , which begins the persecution of the supporters of the Duke of Lerma .
- The Dutch inventor Cornelius Drebbel , makes the first known dive, of what can be called a submarine in London . The artifact manages to remain submerged in the Thames for 3 hours. Such a feat, is witness to King James I .
- The Dutch Willebrord Snel presents Snell's Law regarding the refraction of light.
- Edition of the Arithmetica of Diophantus of Alexandria by the French Bachet de Méziriac .
- January 27 : Thomas Willis , British physiologist (d. 1675).
- September 5 : Juan Andrés Coloma , Spanish aristocrat (d. 1694).
- September 8 : Louis II of Bourbon-Condé , French aristocrat and military man of the Thirty Years' War (d. 1686).
- November 20 : Avvakum , Russian bishop and writer (d. 1682).
- January 28 : Paul V , Italian pope.
- February 15 : Michael Praetorius , German composer and organist (b. 1571).
- February 28 : Cosimo II de Medici , Italian aristocrat and patron.
- March 31 : Felipe III , Spanish king between 1598 and 1621.
- November 30 : Francesco Rasi , Italian tenor and composer (b. 1574).
- December 17 : Roberto Bellarmine , Italian religious, doctor of the Church (b. 1542).
- Muridan Satrio Widjojo (2009). The Revolt of Prince Nuku: Cross-Cultural Alliance-making in Maluku, C.1780-1810. BRILL. p. 18. ISBN 9789004172012.
- Augustin Redondo (1995). Relations between cultural identities in the Iberian and Ibero-American space, Volumen 2 . Presses Sorbonne Nouvelle. p. 97. ISBN 9782878541335 .