On January 17th is , the 17th (seventeenth) day of the year in the Gregorian calendar . There are 348 days left until the end of the year (349 in leap years ).
- 1287 : in the Balearic Islands the Aragonese king Alfonso III invades Menorca .
- 1299 : birth of the Ottoman Empire hand Osmán I .
- 1362 : in the North Sea , third day of the second flood of Saint Marcellus , a storm that devastated the Netherlands , England and northern Germany , causing between 40,000 and 100,000 deaths.
- 1562 : Catherine de Medici promulgates in France the " Edict of Saint-Germain " which enshrines freedom of conscience and freedom of worship for Protestants .
- 1608 : in Ebenat ( Ethiopia ), the soldiers led by the emperor Susenyos I surprise an army of Oromos ; 12,000 Oromos and 400 Imperials die in the battle.
- 1694 : in Spain the first pilgrimage descent of the image of the Virgen de la Fuensanta takes place from her sanctuary to the city of Murcia .
- 1784 : for the first time the date stamps for the letters are established in Madrid .
- 1793 : the French Convention decides by a single vote of difference the death penalty of King Louis XVI .
- 1811 : Battle of the Calderón Bridge between the royalist army and the Mexican insurgent army, in which the former won.
- 1817 : in Mendoza , General José de San Martín , commanding 4000 men, begins the crossing of the Andes mountain range for the campaign in Chile . [ 1 ]
- 1852 : Great Britain recognizes in the Sand River Convention the independence of the Transvaal , which from then on is called the South African Republic .
- 1871 : The Preparatory College of Sciences and Arts is founded in Mexico , now known as the Secondary School and High School of Arts and Crafts , being the first school of its kind in that country.
- 1881 : in Peru - in the framework of the War of the Pacific - the Chilean army takes the city of Lima .
- 1904 : in Moscow (Russia) opens The Cherry Orchard , by Anton Chekhov .
- 1912 : British explorer Robert Falcon Scott arrives at the South Pole , a month after the Norwegian Roald Amundsen did .
- 1913 : Raymond Poincaré is elected President of the French Republic .
- 1914 : international commissions complete the delimitation of borders between Peru and Bolivia .
- 1917 : The United States Government acquires the Virgin Islands from Denmark for US $ 25 million.
- 1919 : in Greece five hundred people die in the wreck of the ship Chaouina, on its way to Piraeus .
- 1920 : in France , Paul Deschanel is elected president.
1920: In the United States the Prohibition Law enters into force , which prohibited (without success) the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- 1922 : in Venezuela the decimal metric system is adopted .
- 1930 : the Soviet Union does not recognize the Locarno treaties and orders two warships to cross the Dardanelles .
1930: Paraguayan troops repel the Bolivian army attack on the island of Poy.
- 1933 : the United States Congress defeats President Herbert Hoover by a two-thirds majority and votes in favor of the independence of the Philippines - invaded and subjugated by the United States.
- 1934 : the new employment charter drawn up by the German Government abolishes collective contracts, arbitration, the right to strike and unemployment imposed by employers.
- 1935 : the Council of the League of Nations agrees to incorporate the Saar Basin into Germany .
- 1937 : in Spain ―in the framework of the Civil War - Manuel Azaña moved the headquarters of the Presidency of the Republic to Valencia .
- 1938 : the first international exhibition of surrealism is held in Paris .
- 1939 : Nazi Germany bans Jewish dentists, veterinarians and pharmacists from working.
- 1942 : British troops conquer the Halfaya Pass , in North Africa , and take 5000 prisoners.
- 1943 : the British offensive in Libya is resumed .
- 1944 : in Buenos Aires, Juan Domingo Perón and Evita meet at the Luna Park gala for the victims of the San Juan earthquake .
- 1945 : Warsaw is liberated from the Nazis by Soviet forces.
- 1947 : Dr. Enrique Hertzog is elected President of Bolivia .
- 1948 : the Netherlands and Indonesia sign an armistice.
- 1952 : Habib Burguiba and numerous Neo Destur militants are arrested in Tunisia .
- 1954 : Milovan Đilas , President of the Federal Assembly and Vice President of the Republic of Yugoslavia , is removed from office.
1954: inauguration of the Valgrande-Pajares Winter and Mountain Station in Puerto de Pajares ( Asturias ), being one of the first ski resorts in Spain .
- 1958 : in Lima (Peru) the National Television channel, today TV Peru , is inaugurated .
- 1959 : in Buenos Aires, at dawn, President Arturo Frondizi sends the Army to repress the thousands of strikers. Tanks of war break down the gates. 5000 workers are laid off.
- 1961 : In the Democratic Republic of the Congo , the CIA and the Belgian government assassinate the Congolese nationalist leader Patrice Lumumba .
- 1966 : near the coast of Spain two American planes collide . Four atomic bombs fall, three in the vicinity of Palomares and another in the vicinity of Almería .
- 1969 : The Beatles release the soundtrack to their movie Yellow Submarine .
- 1974 : in Colombia , the April 19 Movement takes the Quinta de Bolívar , and steals the sword of the Liberator, in the first public act of said movement.
- 1975 : American artist Bob Dylan released his influential album Blood on the Tracks ("Blood on the Tracks").
- 1980 : Charles Weismann announces that they have managed to produce human interferon thanks to the use of biotechnology .
1980: a Spanish destroyer is machine-gunned in Saharawi waters by a Moroccan plane .
- 1982 : the gynecologist Julio Iglesias Puga , father of Julio Iglesias , kidnapped by the terrorist group ETA on December 29 of the previous year, is released.
- 1984 : the Conference on Disarmament in Europe opens in Stockholm , in which representatives of 35 countries participated.
- 1986 : the protocol establishing diplomatic relations between Israel and Spain is signed in The Hague .
- 1991 : multinational troops stationed in the Persian Gulf begin their attack on Iraq .
- 1993 : the composer Carmelo Bernaola enters the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando .
- 1994 : an earthquake in Los Angeles ( California ) causes 54 deaths and 5,420 injured.
- 1995 : an earthquake measuring 7.2 on the Richter scale shakes Japan 's Kansai region , causing 5,500 deaths and 26,000 injuries.
- 1996 : ETA kidnaps the prison official, José Antonio Ortega Lara .
- 1997 : Tens of thousands of people demonstrate throughout Spain to demand the freedom of Cosme Delclaux and Ortega Lara, kidnapped by the terrorist group ETA .
- 1998 : the Constitutional Court of Turkey outlaws the Islamic Welfare Party to protect the secularism of the state.
- 1999 : Serbian police massacre the Racak population in southern Kosovo in search of Liberation Army guerrillas.
- 2001 : the so-called "Barcelona command" of the terrorist group ETA tries to kill radio host Luis del Olmo with a car bomb.
- 2002 : in Goma ( Democratic Republic of the Congo ), the Nyiragongo volcano eruption causes 50 deaths and devours entire neighborhoods of the city.
2002: Ariel Sharón denies the European Union his requests to ease pressure on the Palestinian Territories .
- 2008 : in Pasto (Colombia) the Galeras volcano erupts at 20:06 (local time).
- 2010 : in Chile , Sebastián Piñera is elected as President of the Republic, ending twenty years of the Concertación government .
- 2014 : in Spain the left-wing political party Podemos arises, led by Pablo Iglesias Turrión .
- 2019 : in Bogotá , Colombia , a car bomb explodes at the Francisco de Paula Santander military academy, leaving 21 dead and more than 60 injured. [ 2 ]
- 2020 : American singer Halsey (singer) releases her third studio album, Manic (album) .
- 2021 : Alexei Navalny , Vladimir Putin's top opponent , returns to Russia after his failed poisoning. However, the political leader was detained at Moscow International Airport . [ 3 ] [ 4 ]
2021: In San Juan , Argentina the final of the Diego Armando Maradona Cup is played between Boca Juniors and Banfield . Cup in honor of the star of world football died during 2020. [ 5 ]
- 1504 : Pius V , Italian pope between 1566 and 1572 (d. 1572).
- 1560 : Caspar Bauhin , Swiss botanist and physician (d. 1624).
- 1600 : Pedro Calderón de la Barca , Spanish playwright (d. 1681).
- 1612: Thomas Fairfax, general británico (f. 1671).
- 1706 : Benjamin Franklin , American scientist and diplomat (d. 1790).
- 1734 : François-Joseph Gossec , músico francés (f. 1829).
- 1739 : Pedro Palacios y Sojo , Venezuelan religious and music teacher (d. 1799).
- 1761 - James Hall , British geologist and geophysicist (d. 1832).
- 1783 : Pedro Gual , Venezuelan lawyer, journalist, politician, statesman and diplomat (f. 1862).
- 1800 : Caleb Cushing , American diplomat (d. 1879).
- 1806 : Richard Joseph Courtois , Belgian physician, botanist and explorer (d. 1835).
- 1814 : Ellen Wood , British writer (d. 1887).
- 1820 : Anne Brontë , British novelist and poet (d. 1849).
- 1824 : Guilherme Schüch Capanema , Brazilian engineer and physicist (d. 1908).
- 1829 : Catherine Booth , British nun (d. 1890).
- 1837 : Antonio José Fernández de Villalta y Uribe , Spanish politician and lawyer (d. 1921).
- 1851 : Arthur Burdett Frost , American illustrator (b. 1928).
1851: Antonio Hernández Fajarnés , Spanish professor and writer (d. 1909).
- 1858 : Tomás Carrasquilla , Colombian writer (d. 1940).
- 1863 : David Lloyd George , British politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom between 1916 and 1922 (d. 1945).
- 1867 : Carl Laemmle , German filmmaker (d. 1939).
- 1871 - David Beatty , British admiral (d. 1936).
1871: Nicolae Iorga , Romanian historian and politician (d. 1940).
- 1875 : Pedro Mata y Domínguez , Spanish writer (d. 1946).
1875: Charles Rousselière , tenor francés (f. 1950)
1875: Florencio Sánchez , Uruguayan playwright (d. 1910).
1875: Tomás Soley Güell , Costa Rican economist and historian (d. 1943).
- 1878 : Joaquín Benjumea , Spanish politician (d. 1963).
- 1880 : Mack Sennett , American producer and filmmaker (d. 1960).
- 1881 : Alfred Reginald Radcliffe-Brown , British social anthropologist (d. 1955).
- 1882 : Antonio de la Paz Guerra , Mexican lawyer and military man (d. 1916).
- 1883 : Compton Mackenzie , British writer (d. 1972).
- 1885 : Emmy Hennings , German poet and novelist, Dadaist (d. 1948).
- 1889 : Ralph H. Fowler , American physicist (b. 1944).
- 1897: Nils Asther, actor sueco (f. 1981).
1897: Marcel Petiot , French serial killer (d. 1946).
- 1899 : Al Capone , American gangster (d. 1947).
- 1905 : Louis Armand , engineer and high French civil servant (d. 1971).
1905: Peggy Gilbert , American jazz saxophonist (b. 2007).
1905: Guillermo Stábile , Argentine soccer player (d. 1966).
- 1906 : Tomás Alvira , Spanish pedagogue and soil scientist (f. 1992).
- 1909 : Rafael García Herreros , Colombian religious (d. 1992).
- 1911 : George Stigler , American economist, 1982 Nobel Prize winner in Economics (d. 1991).
- 1913 : Werenfried van Straaten , Dutch Catholic priest (d. 2003).
- 1914 : Anacleto Angelini , Chilean businessman of Italian origin (d. 2007).
1914: Jerry Siegel , American strip cartoonist, co-creator of Superman (d. 1996).
- 1917 : Ramón Cardemil , Chilean rodeo rider (d. 2007).
- 1919 : Antonio Mingote , Spanish graphic humorist (d. 2012).
1919: Antonio Palenzuela , Spanish bishop (f. 2003).
- 1921 : Antonio Prohías , Cuban cartoonist (d. 1988).
1921: Elisa Frota Pessoa , experimental Brazilian physicist (f. 2018).
- 1940 : Tabaré Vázquez , Uruguayan doctor and politician, president of Uruguay between 2005-2010 and 2015-2020 (f. 2020).
1940: Rosa Posada , lawyer and Spanish politician (d. 2014).
- 1942 : Forges , Spanish graphic humorist (d. 2018).
- 1942 : Muhammad Ali , American boxer (d. 2016)
- 1943 : René Préval , Haitian politician and agronomist, president of Haiti between 1996-2001 and 2006-2011 (f. 2017).
1943: Elsa López , Spanish writer.
1943: Chris Montez , American singer.
- 1944 : Concha Cuetos , Spanish actress.
1944: Françoise Hardy , cantante francesa.
1944: Beatriz Lockhart , Uruguayan pianist and composer.
- 1946 : Luis Figuerola-Ferretti , Spanish journalist.
- 1948 : Davíð Oddsson , Icelandic politician, Prime Minister of Iceland between 1991 and 2004.
- 1949: Andy Kaufman, actor estadounidense (f. 1984).
1949: Juan Gossaín , Colombian journalist and writer.
1949: Carlos Alberto Solari , "Indio Solari", Argentine singer.
1949: Mick Taylor , British musician, of the band The Rolling Stones.
- 1950 : Cristina Galbó , actress and Spanish dance teacher.
1950: Luis López Nieves , Puerto Rican writer.
- 1952 : Luisa Albinoni , Argentine actress.
1952: Ryūichi Sakamoto , Japanese musician.
- 1954 : Marina Rossell , Spanish singer.
1954: Raúl Taibo , Argentine actor.
- 1955 : Steve Earle , American singer.
1955: Esteban Vigo , Spanish footballer and coach.
- 1956 : Lalo de los Santos , Argentine bassist and singer-songwriter (d. 2001).
1956: Paul Young , British singer.
- 1959 : Susanna Hoffs , American vocalist, of the band The Bangles.
- 1961 : Ángel Petisme , Spanish singer and poet.
1961: Maia Chiburdanidze , Soviet chess player.
- 1962 : Jim Carrey , Canadian actor and comedian.
1962: Lorenzo Rico , Spanish handball player.
1962: Luis Estrada , Mexican filmmaker.
- 1963 : Kai Hansen , German musician, creator of power metal and founder of Helloween and Gamma Ray .
- 1964 : Michelle Obama , lawyer and American first lady.
1964: Coco Sily , Argentine actor and comedian.
- 1965 : Manuel Sánchez Delgado , Spanish footballer.
- 1966 : Stephin Merritt , American singer, of the band The Magnetic Fields.
1966: Karim Aïnouz , Brazilian film director, scriptwriter and visual artist.
- 1968 : Steven Levitsky , American political scientist.
1968: Svetlana Masterkova , Russian athlete.
- 1969 : Naveen Andrews , British actor.
1969: Lukas Moodysson , Swedish screenwriter and filmmaker.
1969: DJ Tiësto (Tijs Verwest), disc jockey Dutch.
- 1970 : Genndy Tartakovsky , American animator of Russian origin.
- 1971 : Richard Burns , British rally driver (f. 2005).
1971: Leonardo Ciampa , American composer.
1971: Javier Gutiérrez Álvarez , Spanish actor.
1971: Kid Rock , American singer.
1971: Sylvie Testud , French actress.
- 1972 : Ken Hirai , Japanese singer.
1972: Lil Jon , American rapper.
1972: Juan Fernando Velasco , Ecuadorian musician.
- 1973 : Cuauhtémoc Blanco , Mexican soccer player and politician.
- 1974 : Ladan and Laleh Bijani , Iranian twins (d. 2003).
- 1975 : Freddy Rodríguez , Puerto Rican actor.
1975: Patrick Zwaanswijk , Dutch Futbolista.
- 1977 : Kevin Fertig , American professional wrestler.
1977: Leigh Whannell , Australian actor and screenwriter.
- 1978 : Carolina «Pampita» Ardohain , Argentine model.
1978: Ricky Wilson , British musician, of the band Kaiser Chiefs.
- 1979 : Ricardo Cabanas , Swiss footballer.
- 1980 : Zooey Deschanel , American actress.
- 1981 : Daniel Diges , Spanish actor and singer.
1981: Ray-J , American singer.
- 1982 : Dwyane Wade , American basketball player.
1982: Alex Varkatzas , American vocalist, of the band Atreyu.
- 1983 : Álvaro Arbeloa , Spanish footballer.
1983: Alexander Meier , German footballer.
1983: Chris Rolfe , American footballer.
- 1984 : Calvin Harris , Scottish musician and producer, specializing in electronic music.
1984: Filip Hološko , Slovak football player.
- 1985 : Adriana Ugarte , Spanish actress.
1985: Simone Simons , mezzo-soprano and Dutch vocalist, of the band Épica.
- 1987 : Arjan van Dijk , Dutch footballer.
- 1988 : Mykola Morozyuk , futbolista ucraniano.
1989: Kelly Marie Tran , Canadian actress.
- 1990 : Esteban Chaves , Colombian cyclist.
1990: Kaj Ramsteijn , futbolista nederlandés.
- 1991 : Michelangelo Albertazzi , Italian futbolist.
- 1994 : Lucy Boynton , British actress.
- 356 : Saint Anthony the Abbot , Egyptian religious (n. 251).
- 395 : Theodosius I the Great , eastern Roman emperor between 379 and 395 and western between 394 and 395 (b. 347).
- 764 : Joseph of Freising , German bishop.
- 1675 : Bernard Frénicle de Bessy , French mathematician (b.1605).
- 1689 : Pedro Atanasio Bocanegra , Spanish painter (b.1638).
- 1706 : Philipp Peter Roos , German painter (n. 1657).
- 1751 : Tomaso Albinoni , Italian composer and violinist (b. 1671).
- 1815 : Marie-Louise O'Murphy , French courtesan, mistress of Louis XV of France (b. 1737).
- 1824 : Carlos Martínez de Irujo y Tacón , Spanish diplomat and politician (b. 1763).
- 1826 : Juan Crisóstomo de Arriaga , Spanish composer (b.1806).
- 1861 : Lola Montez , Irish dancer and adventurer (b. 1821).
- 1863 : Horace Vernet , French painter (b. 1789).
- 1869 - Aleksandr Dargomyzhski , Russian composer (b.1813)
- 1874 : Chang and Eng Bunker , Thai conjoined twins (b. 1811).
- 1889 : Juan Montalvo , Ecuadorian writer and philosopher (b. 1832).
- 1891 : Thomas Graham Balfour , Scottish surgeon, pioneer in the use of statistics in medicine (b. 1813).
- 1893 - Rutherford B. Hayes , American lawyer, president 1877-1881 (b. 1822).
- 1899 : Panos Koronaios , Greek military and politician (b. 1809).
- 1907 : Antonio Montes Vico , Spanish bullfighter (b. 1876).
- 1911 - Francis Galton , British explorer and scientist (b. 1822).
- 1926 : Adolfo Bonilla , Spanish philosopher (b. 1875).
- 1927 : Jenaro Sánchez Delgadillo , Mexican priest, martyr and saint (b. 1886).
- 1933 - Louis Comfort Tiffany , American artist and designer (b.1848).
- 1934 : Mariano Dubón , Nicaraguan priest and Servant of God (b. 1862).
- 1941 : Virginio Arias , Chilean sculptor. (n.1855).
- 1942 : Walter von Reichenau , German field marshal (b. 1884).
- 1946 : Jenny Nyström , painter and Swedish illustrator (n. 1854)
- 1947 : Piotr Krasnov , Russian historian and general (b. 1869).
- 1961 : Patrice Lumumba , Congolese politician and prime minister in 1960 (b.1925).
- 1964 : Terence Hanbury White , British writer (b.1906).
- 1973 : Juan Adsuara , Spanish sculptor (b. 1893).
1973: Tarsila do Amaral , Brazilian painter (b. 1886)
- 1975 : Gustavo Rojas Pinilla , Colombian military dictator between 1953 and 1957 (b. 1900).
- 1980 : Agustín Yáñez , Mexican writer (b. 1904).
- 1982 : Osvaldo Zubeldía , Argentine soccer player and coach (b.1927).
- 1989 : Alfredo Zitarrosa , Uruguayan cantautor (n. 1936).
- 1991 : Olaf V , Norwegian aristocrat, king between 1957 and 1991 (b.1903).
1994: Helen Stephens , American athlete (b. 1918).
- 1995 : Miguel Torga , Portuguese doctor, poet and writer (b.1907).
- 1996 : Barbara Jordan , American lawyer, educator and politician (b.1936)
- 1997 : Clyde Tombaugh , American astronomer (b.1906).
- 2001 : Gregory Privateering , American poet (n. 1930).
- 2001 : Homero Cárpena , Argentine actor (b.1910).
- 2002 : Camilo José Cela , Spanish writer, Nobel Prize for Literature in 1989 (b. 1916).
- 2003 : Richard Crenna , American actor (n. 1926).
2003: Roberto Huerta , Argentine military and aeronautical engineer (b. 1917).
2003: Jaime Vivanco , Chilean pianist and composer (b. 1960).
- 2005 : Virginia Mayo , American actress (b.1920).
- 2007 : Art Buchwald , American satirical writer (n. 1925).
2007: Juan Reynoso Portillo , Mexican composer and violinist (b.1912)
- 2008 : Bobby Fischer , Icelandic chess player of American origin (b.1943).
2008: Allan Melvin , American actor (b.1923).
2010: Enrique Velasco Ibarra , Mexican politician (b.1927).
2010: Erich Segal , American writer (b.1937)
- 2011 : Eloy Linares Málaga , Peruvian historian (b.1926).
- 2012 : Carlos Pujol , Spanish writer and translator (b. 1936).
2012: Johnny Otis , American blues musician (b. 1921).
- 2013 : Jakob Arjouni , German writer (b. 1964).
2013: Yves Debay (58), Belgian journalist (b.1954).
2013: Fernando Guillén , Spanish actor (b.1932).
2013: Claudio Leo , Italian guitarist, of the band Lacuna Coil (b.1972).
- 2014 : Salvador Breglia , Paraguayan soccer player and coach (b. 1935).
- 2018 : Augusto Polo Campos , former Peruvian policeman, musician and composer (b.1932)
- 2019 : Vicente Álvarez Areces , Spanish politician, president of the Principality of Asturias between 1999 and 2011 (b.1943).
- 2020 : Terence Hallinan , American politician (n. 1936).
Saint Anthony , abbot [ 6 ] (356).
saints Espeusipo, Elausipo, Melasipo and Leonila , martyrs (s. inc.).
Saint Julian Sabas , ascetic (c. 377).
Saint Marcellus de Die , bishop (510).
Saint Sulpice Pius , bishop (647).
Blessed Gamalbert , priest (c. 802).
Saint Roselina , Prioress of Celle-Roubaud, of the Order of the Cartuja (1329).
Saint Jenaro Sánchez Delgadillo , priest and martyr (1927).