|17th Mixed Brigade|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Germán Madroñero López|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The unit was created at the end of 1936 in Villarrobledo , with Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Germán Madroñero López as commander , and Manuel Simarro Quiles - of the PSOE - as political commissioner. In mid-January 1937 the 17th Mixed Brigade was sent to the front line, being deployed in the Ocaña area in view of participating in a planned offensive on Brunete that, finally, would not take place. [ 1 ]
On February 7, added to the "Burillo" Group and in the middle of the battle of Jarama , it was assigned to the defense of the Titulcia Bridge ; shortly after, she would be assigned to the "Chorda" Group and charged with the defense of the Pindoque bridge . Franco's forces managed to take and secure the bridge, so the 17th BM had to go to plug the enemy gap, to the aid of the 23rd Mixed Brigade . On February 12 it attacked in the Cuesta de la Reina sector, and two days later it was located in front of the Vertice Pingarrón. On February 15 she was assigned to Division "B" of General " Gal», Taking part in the very hard battles that followed one another for the conquest of« Pingarrón ». Madroñero was replaced by Commander Hilario Cid Manzano . [ 1 ]
At the end of the Battle of Jarama the unit was assigned to the 13th Division , in front of Madrid. The 17th BM, which established its headquarters in Morata de Tajuña , was under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Julián del Castillo Sánchez , a veteran of the Cuban war . At the end of 1937, the militia major Carlos Fabra Marín assumed command of the brigade, succeeded shortly after by the militia major Gregorio Herrero del Olmo . It did not take part in any other major military operation. [ 1 ]
The 17th Mixed Brigade published a publication, Madrid . [ 2 ]
- Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Germán Madroñero López ;
- Infantry Commander Hilario Cid Manzano ; [ 3 ]
- Lieutenant Colonel Julián del Castillo Sánchez ;
- Major of the militias Carlos Fabra Marín ;
- Major of the militias Gregorio Herrero del Olmo ;
- Major of the militias Manuel López Cabanas ;
- Manuel Simarro Quiles , from the PSOE ;
- Ángel Maynar Cebrián , from the PSOE; [ 4 ]
- Pedro Tordesillas Sanz ;
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Ramos-Gascón , Antonio (1978). The Romancero of the Popular Army . Editorial Nuestra Cultura.
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.