18th Infantry Regiment (Reichswehr) - 18. Infanterie-Regiment (Reichswehr)

The 18th Infantry Regiment was a regiment of the Reichswehr .

history

The regiment was formed on January 1, 1921 from the Reichswehr Infantry Regiments 13 and 14 and the Reichswehr Jäger Regiments 31 and 32 of the transitional army . Since it was a mixed national association, only the respective battalions received on May 29, 1922, in addition to their names, the national team designation "Prussian" or "Lippisches". [1]

In the course of the expansion of the Reichswehr, the regiment was divided into the first wave in 1934, forming the Paderborn Infantry Regiment (IR 18) and the Münster Infantry Regiment (IR 39).

The garrison

  • Paderborn : Regimental staff, 1st (Prussian) battalion with staff and 13th ( MW ) company
  • Münster : II. (Prussian) battalion with staff
  • Bückeburg : Staff of the III. Battalion, 11th (schaumburg-Lippe) and 12th (Prussian) company
  • Hameln : 9th (Prussian) and 10th (Prussian) company
  • Detmold : (Lippe) training battalion

Commanders

No. Name Beginning of the appointment End of the appointment [2]
1. Oberst Karl Felsch January 1, 1921 15. June 1921
2. Colonel / Major General Georg von Stillfried-Rattonitz 16. June 1921 January 31, 1923
3. Colonel Hans Kloebe February 1, 1923 March 31, 1925
4. Colonel Gerd von Rundstedt 1. April 1925 30. September 1926
5. Colonel Walter von Schleinitz 1. November 1926 February 28, 1928
6. Colonel Hugo Zeitz March 1, 1928 30. April 1931
7. Colonel Hubert Schaller-Kallide 1. May 1931 30. September 1933
8. Colonel Emil Reischle October 1, 1933 30. November 1935
9. Colonel Eccard von Gablenz December 1, 1935 23. November 1938
10. Colonel Alexander Edler von Daniels 24. November 1938 December 10, 1940

Organisation

Association membership

The regiment was under the Infantry Leader VI of the 6th Division in Hanover, in the Wehrmacht of the 6th Infantry Division in Bielefeld.

structure

The regiment consisted of the regimental staff with a news relay

1st battalion with staff and news squadron, emerged from the Reichswehr-Jäger-Regiments 31 and 32,
2nd battalion with staff and news squadron, emerged from the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 13,
III. Battalion with staff and news relay, emerged from the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 14,
Supplementary battalion, from March 23, 1921 a training battalion, emerged from the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 14.

Each field battalion was divided into three companies of three officers and 161 NCOs and men (3/161) as well as a machine gun company (4/126). In total, a battalion consisted of 18 officers and officials (including medical officers) and 658 men.

Armament and equipment

Main armament

The shooters were equipped with the K98a carbine . Each platoon had an MG 08/15 light machine gun .

In the machine gun companies, the 1st platoon consisted of three groups with three MG 08 heavy machine guns on a carriage, drawn by four horses, the 2nd to 4th platoon consisted of three groups with three MG 08 heavy machine guns on a carriage, drawn by two horses.

The heaviest weapons in the regiment were the mine throwers in the 13th Company. The 1st train was equipped with two medium-sized launchers 17 cm, drawn in four horses, the 2nd and 3rd train with three light launchers 7.6 cm, driven in two horses.

miscellaneous

Takeover of tradition

The regiment took over the tradition of the old regiments in 1921 [3] .

literature

  • Georg Tessin : German associations and troops 1918–1939. Biblio Publishing House. Osnabrück 1974. ISBN 3-7648-1000-9 . P. 193ff.
  • Edgar Graf von Matuschka: Organization of the realm army. in Handbook on German Military History 1648–1939. Ed. Military History Research Office . Freiburg (Breisgau). Part VI: Reichswehr and Republic (1918–1933). Bernard & Graefe Publishing House for Defense. Frankfurt am Main 1970. pp. 320-322.

Individual evidence

  1. ^ Georg Tessin : German Associations and Troops 1918–1939. Biblio Publishing House. Osnabrück 1974. ISBN 3-7648-1000-9 . P. 188.
  2. Dermot Bradley (Ed.), Günter Wegner: Occupation of the German Army 1815-1939 Volume 2: The occupation of the active infantry regiments and hunter battalions, military district commanders and training managers from the foundation or formation until 1939 . Osnabrück 1992. ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 . P. 502.
  3. Decree of the Chief of the Army Command, General of the Infantry Hans von Seeckt, of August 24, 1921