|Years||1918 1919 1920 ← 1921 → 1922 1923 1924|
|Decades||1890s 1900s 1910s ← 1920s → 1930s 1940s 1950s|
|Centuries||19th century ← 20th century → 21st century|
|Annual table of the 20th century|
- January 1 : in Nicaragua , Diego Manuel Chamorro Bolaños succeeds Emiliano Chamorro as president of that country .
- January 3 : Turkey and Armenia sign peace.
- January 10 : General Vogel , author of Rosa Luxemburg's death, is amnestied in Germany .
- January 21 : in Sweden , women obtain the right to vote .
- January 22 : in Spain , the Government establishes compulsory workers' insurance for all workers.
- January 23 : in Spain , in Vitoria "Sport Friends" was changed to Deportivo Alavés and the club was born here.
- January 28 : in Bolivia , Bautista Saavedra Mallea is appointed president of that country by the Republican party.
- February 1 : in Madrid , the Belgian kings Alberto I and Isabel make an official visit to Spain.
- February 2 : in Germany demonstrations are held against the agreements on war reparations.
- February 3 : in Spain , the Catalan astronomer José Comas y Solá discovers the asteroid (945) Barcelona.
- February 5 : in the United States , Charles Chaplin premieres his film The Boy .
- February 7 : in France there are searches and arrests of communists, for the distribution of pamphlets and holding antimilitarist meetings.
- February 10 : in Madrid (Spain) the Spanish Cortes reopened after the change of Government.
- February 15 :
- February 18 : British troops occupy Dublin to try to quell nationalist protests over the division of the island into two autonomous territories under British authority.
- February 20 : The film The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , by Rex Ingram , opens .
- February 21 :
- February 22 : Gosplán is created in the Soviet Union , in order to double industrial production.
- March 4 : Republican Warren G. Harding takes office as president of the United States .
- March 8 : in Madrid the Prime Minister Eduardo Dato is assassinated by anarchists .
- March 18 : the second Peace of Riga ends the Polish-Soviet War . The borders between the new Polish Republic and Soviet Russia are established.
- March 21 : The New Economic Policy begins in the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic .
- March 22 : in the United Kingdom , Sir Joseph Chamberlain leaves the Ministry of Finance.
- March 23 : in Germany , the Government authorizes the importation of saltpeter from Chile .
- April 7 : in China , Sun Yat-sen is appointed president of the counter-government of the southern cantons of this country, proclaimed independent.
- April 13 : In Spain , the Spanish Communist Workers Party is founded .
- May 1: Club Sportivo Luqueño is founded in Paraguay .
- May 20 : the symphonic poem La voz de las streets , by the composer Pedro Humberto Allende , premieres in Santiago de Chile .
- May 31 and June 1 - In Tulsa, Oklahoma, armed white men aided by members of the police perpetrate the Tulsa Massacre, killing about 300 and wounding about 6,000 African-American men, women and children , and setting the entire prosperous town on fire Greenwood neighborhood (known as "the Black Wall Street "). Only in 2001 will the descendants be financially repaired.
- June 12 : Club Sport Herediano is founded in Heredia ( Costa Rica ) , one of the most important teams in that country, with the distinction of being the only team in the world to be champion the year it was founded.
- June 22 : in Iran , the National Consultative Assembly rejects the Anglo-Persian Agreement.
- June 25 : the La Cierva autogyro takes off for the first time at the Getafe aerodrome ( Madrid ) .
- July 18 : in Burgos , on the occasion of the seventh centenary of the cathedral, the remains of the Cid and his wife Doña Jimena , as well as the relics of San Fernando , are transferred to the temple .
- July 22 : in the town of Annual (Morocco) the Rif Berbers defeat the Spanish in the Annual massacre . Some 7000 Spaniards die and 1100 are taken prisoner.
- July 28 : in Peru, the centenary of its independence of 1821 is celebrated.
- July 29 :
- July 31 : Insulin is discovered .
- 3 of September : in a hotel in San Francisco (California) , the comedian actor Roscoe Fattie Arbuckle (1887-1933) organizes a party in his room. One of the young women, actress Virginia Rappe (26), will pass away three days later, which will ruin the actor's life.
- September 5 : in Buenos Aires ( Argentina ) the National Cervantes Theater is inaugurated .
- September 24 : The image of Our Lady of Mercy, venerated in her Temple in Lima (Peru) , is canonically crowned by Archbishop Emilio Lissón, being the first ceremony of its kind in Peru.
- October 2 : The V Edition of Copa América, held for the second time in Argentina, begins .
- October 29 : in the United States the second process of the case of the anarchists Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti begins .
- October 30 : in Buenos Aires (Argentina) the Copa América ends and Argentina wins its first Copa América.
- November 14 : in Spain , the merger of the splinter groups of the PSOE , the Spanish Communist Party and the Spanish Communist Workers Party leads to the creation of the Spanish Communist Party .
- November 30 : in Chile is created the Body of Gendarmerie of Prisons , the current Gendarmerie of Chile.
- In November, the Washington Conference between the United States and Japan begins .
- In November, in Japan , Prince Hirohito takes over the regency of the country.
- In November, in Colombia , General Pedro Nel Ospina Vásquez succeeded Marco Fidel Suárez as president .
- December 6 : is signed in London on Anglo-Irish Treaty establishing the Irish of the South became the Irish Free State (Irish Free State), an independent nation incorporating 26 of the 32 counties of Ireland.
- January 3 : John Russell , American actor (d. 1991 ).
- January 5 : John I , Luxembourg aristocrat (f. 2019 ).
- January 5 : Friedrich Dürrenmatt , Swiss writer (d. 1990 ).
- 8 de enero : Leonardo Sciascia , Italian writer (f. 1989 ).
- January 10 : Rodger Ward , American racing driver (d. 2004 ).
- January 14 : Murray Bookchin , American libertarian socialist (d. 2006 ).
- 17 enero : Elisa Frota Pessoa , Brazilian experimental physicist (f. 2018 ).
- January 19 : Patricia Highsmith , American writer (d. 1995 ).
- January 27 : Donna Reed , American actress (d. 1986 ).
- January 27: Rafael Barón , Spanish writer (d. 1987 ).
- January 31 : Mario Lanza , American tenor and actor (d. 1959 ).
- February 1 : Peter Sallis , English actor (f. 2017 ).
- February 1: Teresa Mattei , Italian activist and politician (d. 2013 ).
- February 4 : Betty Friedan , American feminist (d. 2006 ).
- February 4: Lotfi A. Zadeh , Azero-American mathematician and computer scientist (d. 2017 ).
- February 8 : Lana Turner , American actress (d. 1995 ).
- February 8: Nexhmije Hoxha , Albanian politician (f. 2020 ).
- February 11 : Antonio Millán-Puelles , Spanish philosopher (d. 2005 ).
- February 16 : Hua Guofeng , Chinese politician (d. 2008 ).
- February 16: Vera-Ellen , American actress and dancer (d. 1981 ).
- February 20 : Conrado San Martín , Spanish actor (f. 2019 ).
- February 21 : John Rawls , American philosopher (f. 2002 ).
- February 22 : Jean-Bédel Bokassa , President of the Central African Republic ( 1966 - 1976 ) and later Emperor of Central Africa ( 1976 - 1979 ) (f. 1996 ).
- February 24 : Abe Vigoda , American actor (d. 2016 ).
- February 26 : Betty Hutton , American actress (d. 2007 ).
- February 28 : Pierre Clostermann , French World War II pilot (d. 2006 ).
- March 11 : Ástor Piazzolla , Argentine tango bandoneonist (f. 1992 ).
- March 12 : Gianni Agnelli , Italian motorsport executive (d. 2003 ).
- March 12 : Gordon MacRae , singer and American actor (d. 1986 ).
- March 21 : Arthur Grumiaux , Belgian violinist (d. 1986 ).
- March 25 : Simone Signoret , French actress (d. 1985 ).
- March 28 : Dirk Bogarde , British actor (d. 1999 ).
- March 31 : Peggy Rea , American actress (d. 2011 ).
- April 3 : Darío Moreno , Turkish-French singer and actor (d. 1968 ).
- April 3: Jesús Reyes Heroles , Mexican politician, lawyer and historian (d. 1985 ).
- April 3: Jan Sterling , American actress (d. 2004 ).
- 8 de abril : Franco Corelli , Italian tenor (f. 2003 ).
- April 14 : Thomas Schelling , American economist, Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics (f 2016 ).
- April 16 : Peter Ustinov , British actor and filmmaker (d. 2004 ).
- April 23 : Warren Spahn , American baseball player (d. 2003 ).
- April 25 : Karel Appel , Dutch painter (d. 2006 ).
- May 2 : Satyajit Ray , Indian filmmaker (d. 1992 ).
- May 5 : Arthur Leonard Schawlow , American physicist, Nobel laureate in physics (d. 1999 ).
- May 9 : Sophie Scholl , German anti-Nazi fighter (d. 1943 ).
- May 10 : Luis Ciges , Spanish film actor (d. 2002 ).
- May 12 : Joseph Beuys , German artist (d. 1986 ).
- May 20 : Wolfgang Borchert , German writer (d. 1947 ).
- May 21 : Prabhat Ranjan Sarkar , Indian writer (d. 1990 ).
- May 21 : Andrei Sakharov , Russian physicist and activist, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, which he rejected (d. 1989 ).
- May 25 : Jack Steinberger , German physicist, Nobel laureate in physics (f. 2020 ).
- May 31 : Alida Valli , Italian actress (d. 2006 ).
- June 1 : Nelson Riddle , American conductor, arranger and orchestrator (d. 1985 ).
- June 8 : Haji Mohammad Suharto , Indonesian dictator (d. 2008 ).
- June 10 : Philip of Edinburgh , British aristocrat (d. 2021 ).
- June 12 : Luis García Berlanga , Spanish filmmaker. (f. 2010 ).
- June 12 : Christopher Derrick , British writer (d. 2007 ).
- June 16 : Víctor Lima , Uruguayan poet and popular singer (d. 1969 ).
- June 17 : Gil Parrondo , Spanish decorator (d. 2016 ).
- June 21 : Judy Holliday , American actress (d. 1965 ).
- June 21 : Jane Russell , American actress (d. 2011 ).
- June 28 : PV Narasimha Rao , Indian Prime Minister (d. 2004 ).
- June 29 : Frédéric Dard , French writer (d. 2000 ).
- July 1 : Seretse Khama , first Botswana president (d. 1980 ).
- July 3 : Flor María Chalbaud , first lady of Venezuela between 1952 and 1958 (d. 2013 ).
- July 4 : Gerard Debreu , French economist, Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics (d. 2004 ).
- July 6 : Pepa Noia , Argentine activist, founder of Madres de Plaza de Mayo (d. 2015 ).
- July 6: Nancy Reagan , first lady of the United States (d. 2016 ).
- July 6: Billy and Bobby Mauch , American actors (f. 2006 ) and (f. 2007 ).
- July 7 : Ezzard Charles , American boxer (d. 1975 ).
- July 8 : Edgar Morin , French philosopher and sociologist.
- July 13 : James Anderson , American film and television actor (d. 1969 ).
- July 14 : Geoffrey Wilkinson , British chemist, Nobel Prize winner in chemistry (f. 1996 ).
- July 15 : Robert Bruce Merrifield , American chemist, Nobel Prize in Chemistry (d. 2006 ).
- July 17 : Rafael Rodríguez Almodóvar , Spanish poet (d. 2018 ).
- July 18 : John Glenn , American astronaut (d. 2016 ).
- July 18: Aaron T. Beck , American psychiatrist and professor.
- July 22 : Ronald N. Bracewell , Australian scientist and academic (d. 2007 ).
- 24 de julio : Giuseppe Di Stefano , Italian tenor (f. 2008 ).
- July 25 : Paul Watzlawick , Austrian psychotherapist (d. 2007 ).
- July 28 : Emir Rodríguez Monegal , Uruguayan literary critic (d. 1985 ).
- August 7 : Manitas de Plata , French guitarist (d. 2014 ).
- August 23 : Felipe López Licea , Mexican bullfighter.
- August 25 : Daniel Oduber Quirós , Costa Rican politician, president between 1974 and 1978 (d. 1991 ).
- August 28 : Fernando Fernán Gómez , Spanish writer, actor and filmmaker (d. 2007 ).
- August 31 : Pedro Brescia , businessman from Peru (d. 2014 ).
- September 4 : Alcides López Aufranc , Argentine military and businessman, accessory to the dictatorship from 1976 to 1983 (d. 2015 ).
- September 6 : Carmen Laforet , Spanish writer (d. 2004 ).
- September 12 : Stanislaw Lem , Polish science fiction writer (d. 2006 ).
- September 16 : Jon Hendricks , American jazz musician (d. 2017 )
- September 17 : Virgilio Barco Vargas , Colombian politician, president between 1986 and 1990 (f. 1997 ).
- September 19 : Paulo Freire , Brazilian pedagogue (d. 1997 ).
- September 25 : Jacques Martin , French cartoonist (d. 2010 ).
- September 30 : Deborah Kerr , British actress (d. 2007 ).
- 4 de octubre : Gianni Poggi , Italian tenor (f. 1989 ).
- October 6 : Cristián Hernández Larguía , Argentine choir director and musician (f. 2016 ).
- October 6: Yevgeniy Landis , Soviet mathematician (d. 1997 ).
- October 8 : Jaime Saenz , Bolivian poet (d. 1986 ).
- October 21 : Malcolm Arnold , British composer (d. 2006 ).
- October 24 : Sena Jurinac , Austrian soprano (d. 2011 ).
- October 26 ː Elena Quiroga de Abarca , Spanish writer (d. 1995 )
- October 29 : Julio Increase , Spanish poet (d. 2006 ).
- October 30 : Alberto Closas , Spanish actor (d. 1994 ).
- November 3 : Charles Bronson , American actor (d. 2003 ).
- November 6 : James Jones , American writer (d. 1977 ).
- November 17 : Albert Bertelsen , Danish painter (d. 2019 ).
- November 29 : Eva Calvo , Mexican actress (d. 2001 ).
- December 2 : Lola Gaos , Spanish actress (d. 1993 ).
- December 3 : Geoffrey Stephen Kirk , British classical philologist (d. 2003 ).
- December 4 : Paul Schaefer , Chilean Nazi criminal and pedophile of German origin (d. 2010 ).
- December 5 : Roberto Ares Pons , Uruguayan historian (d. 2000 ).
- December 20 : George Roy Hill , American filmmaker (d. 2002 ).
- December 21 : Augusto Monterroso , Guatemalan writer (d. 2003 ).
- December 21: Alicia Alonso , Cuban dancer and choreographer (f. 2019 ).
- December 22 : Robert Kurka , American composer (d. 1957 ).
- January 1 : Theobald von Bethmann Hollweg , German Chancellor (b.1856).
- January 6 : Devil Anse Hatfield , American, leader of the Hatfield family during the conflict between the Hatfields and the McCoys , in the United States (b. 1839).
- January 27 : Justiniano Borgoño , Peruvian military and politician (b. 1836).
- February 8 : Piotr Kropotkin , Russian anarchist (b. 1842).
- February 8: Francisco d'Andrade , Portuguese opera singer (b. 1859).
- February 26 : Carl Menger , Austrian economist (b. 1840).
- March 8 : Eduardo Dato , Spanish lawyer and politician (b. 1856).
- May 4 : Harry Daghlian , American physicist who died in a nuclear accident (d. 1945).
- May 5 : Alfred Fried , Austrian journalist and pacifist, Nobel Peace Prize winner in 1911 (b. 1864).
- May 12 : Emilia Pardo Bazán , Spanish novelist, journalist, editor, poet, playwright, lecturer, essayist and critic.
- May 18 : Filomena Tamarit e Ibarra , Spanish aristocrat and benefactress (b. 1845).
- June 19 : Ramón López Velarde , Mexican poet (b. 1888).
- July 13 : Gabriel Lippmann , French physicist, Nobel Prize winner for physics in 1908 (b. 1845).
- August 2 : Enrico Caruso , Italian tenor (b.1873).
- 7 de agosto : Aleksandr Blok , poeta ruso (n. 1880).
- 16 of August - Alphonsus de Guimaraens , Brazilian poet.
- August 30 : Enrique Del Valle Iberlucea , Argentine socialist politician (b. 1877).
- September 6 : Dardo Rocha , Argentine lawyer, politician, military and journalist (b. 1838).
- September 21 : Amala (2 years old), autistic Bengali girl, supposedly raised by wolves (b. March-April 1919 ).
- October 25 : Bat Masterson , American Sheriff (b. 1853).
- November 1 : Francisco Pradilla y Ortiz , Spanish artist (b. 1848).
- November 4 : Hara Takashi , Japanese politician and prime minister between 1918 and 1921 (b. 1856).
- November 28 : `Abdu'l-Bahá , Persian religious leader (b.1844).
- December 12 : Henrietta Swan Leavitt , American astronomer (b. 1868).
- 16 de diciembre : Camille Saint-Saëns , French composer (n. 1835).
- December 28 : Justo Cuervo Arango , Spanish Dominican religious, professor and publicist (b. 1859).
Art and literature
- The Spanish poet Juan Ramón Jiménez founds the magazine Index .
- Federico García Lorca : Book of poems .
- José Eustasio Rivera : Land of promise , sonnets.
- William Faulkner : Vision in Spring , collection of poems.
- Karel Capek : Rossum's Universal Robots / RUR which would give rise to the term robot .
- Ramón Pérez de Ayala : Belarmino and Apolonio ,
- Gabriel Miró : The angel, the mill, the snail of the lighthouse and Our father Saint Daniel ,
- Miguel de Unamuno : Aunt Tula ,
- André Breton : The Magnetic Fields ,
- Luigi Pirandello : Six Characters in Search of an Author .
- Rafael Sabatini : Scaramouche .
- In Germany, the German film company UFA is privatized .
- Edith Wharton wins the Pulitzer Prize for novel for The Age of Innocence .
Science and Technology
- Frederick Banting and Charles Best get insulin for treatment of diabetes .
- Friedrich Bergius succeeds in synthesizing gasoline from coal .
Philosophy and humanities
- Ludwig Wittgenstein public Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus .
- Ortega y Gasset : Invertebrate Spain .
- Carl Gustav Jung : Psychological types .
- Bertrand Russell : Analysis of Thought .
- March 9 : The soccer club of Salta , Argentina is founded . The North Central Athletic Club .
- 12 June : founded in Heredia (Costa Rica) the Club Sport Herediano .
- The first attempt to ascent Mount Everest fails .
- Chess : José Raúl Capablanca is proclaimed world champion against Emanuel Lasker .
- In Vitoria (Spain) the Deportivo Alavés team is founded .
- The Japan Football Association is founded in Tokyo .
- June 1 : The Godoy Cruz Antonio Tomba Sports Club is founded in Mendoza , Argentina . It is recognized as the most important club in the Cuyo Region .
- Alemania: El gato montés (The Mountain Cat) , de Ernst Lubitsch .
- Alemania: Nosferatu, a symphony of horror , de FW Murnau .
- United States: The three lights (Der mude tod) , by Fritz Lang .
- United States: The Kid , by Charles Chaplin .
- Physics : Albert Einstein .
- Chemistry : Frederick Soddy .
- Medicine : destined to the Special Fund of this section of the award.
- Literature : Anatole France .
- Father : Karl Hjalmar Branting and Christian Lous Lange .