Chronicle of the city of Düren / 1951–1975 - Chronik der Stadt Düren/1951–1975

This list is a partial list of the chronicle of the city of Düren . It lists events dated from 1951 to 1975 in Düren .

1951

  • Düren again has around 36,800 inhabitants
  • The British occupation forces leave Düren. The Belgian armed forces follow.
  • Easter: After the south school had been located in the St. Josef parish hall since October 1945 and in the Riemann barracks from Easter 1947 , lessons begin in the rebuilt school building on Friedrichstrasse
  • May 23: In Moltkestr. 7 / corner of Marienstrasse The groundbreaking ceremony for the Germscheid Commercial School takes place
  • July 8: Groundbreaking ceremony for the new St. Bonifatius Church
  • September 1st: The Volksbad with 10 tubs and 12 shower baths opens at the slaughterhouse on Paradiesstraße
  • October 31: Two Belgian tank regiments with around 6,000 soldiers are stationed in Düren . This makes Düren the largest Belgian garrison abroad. Most of the Belgians moved away between 1978 and 1979. The last Belgian soldiers left Düren in 1992.
  • November 19: Inauguration of the new Johannesbrücke in Aachener Str. New statue of the bridge saint Johannes Nepomuk . The tram connects Rölsdorf with Düren again.
  • December 13th: The entertainment committee of “Sportfreunde Düren” becomes “1. Düren Carnival Society Kruuschberger Funken ”was founded

1952

  • February 9th: Opening of the new business building of the Kreissparkasse on the property of the war-torn high school at the corner of Schenkel- / Zehnthofstr.
  • February 29: By 1953, the city acquired the large park area on the northern side of Bismarckstrasse from the Schoeller heirs in several steps. west of Moltkestr. The Wirteltergymnasium and the town hall will later be built on the site and the Theodor-Heuss-Park will be laid out
  • March 17: Relocation of the humanistic collegiate high school from the Tivolistr schoolhouse . 1 in the new school building Altenteich 14. At the same time, celebration of the 125th anniversary
  • March / April: a typhus epidemic breaks out in Rölsdorf, which also spreads to Düren
  • April 30th: The previous rectorate of Düren-Süd is elevated to a parish (St. Josef)
  • May 11th: Inauguration of the new St. Bonifatius Church
  • July 12th: Laying of the foundation stone for the Schlegelpassage
  • July 17th: Foundation of the "Düren wastewater treatment association"
  • September 25: Opening of the St. Josef Kindergarten
  • December 29th: The city council decided to enlarge the Kaiserplatz and to move the intended new town hall building back to the north

1953

  • April 26th: Laying of the foundation stone for the reconstruction of the Protestant Christ Church in Schenkelstr.
  • May 21: Inauguration of the agricultural school on Rütger-von-Scheven-Straße
  • May 26: Federal Minister of Economics Prof. Dr. Ludwig Erhard speaks in the Germania-Lichtspiele, Wirtelstrasse, about the social market economy
  • July 31: The orphanage “St. Josef “is opened. It is looked after by the Borromean Sisters.
  • September 13: Inauguration of the assembly hall of the Stiftisches Gymnasium, which is also intended to serve as a theater hall with 491 folding armchairs
  • October 28: King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of Belgium visit Düren for the first time

1954

  • Inauguration of the rebuilt district building
  • The first traffic light in Düren at the corner of Oberstr./Stürtzstr./Bonner Str. Is put into operation
  • April 4: Inauguration of the Christ Church of the Protestant community , Schenkelstrasse
  • April 30th: The circular line (tram) Rölsdorf-Gürzenich-Rölsdorf-Lendersdorf is closed and switched to buses (lines 2 and 3)
  • June 4th: Inauguration of the municipal savings bank building on the market on the site of the destroyed town hall and other properties
  • July 4th: Many people from Düren listen to their radios as Germany becomes world champions in football for the first time

1955

  • The Cellitinnen build in R.-v.-Scheven-Str. a kindergarten
  • January 16: Laying of the foundation stone for the new building of the Anna Church
  • October 2: The first construction phase of the “Am Muttergotteshäuschen” estate in August-Lüdenbach-Str. will be ready for occupancy
  • November 21: Laying of the foundation stone for the commercial school building in Zülpicher Str.
  • December 3: The town hall in Bismarckstraße is inaugurated with a ceremony.

1956

  • The Kaufhof is increased by one floor.
  • The Missionaries of St. The family acquire the Villa Paul Kappler at Bonner Str. 34
  • March 13: At the house at Josef-Schregel-Str. 46 the memorial plaque for the local poet Josef Schregel is unveiled.
  • May 10: After a visit to Aachen, the English Prime Minister Winston Churchill also drives through the city center of Düren.
  • July 7th and 8th: Inauguration of St. Anne's Church in Oberstr.
  • October 17th: Laying of the foundation stone for the new town hall on Kaiserplatz.
  • December: A piece of a Roman aqueduct is discovered on the western slope of the Fuchsberg

1957

  • January 25th: Commissioning of the municipal waterworks in Obermaubach
  • March 8: Topping-out ceremony for the new town hall on Kaiserplatz
  • September 3: Inauguration of the commercial school building in Zülpicher Str.
  • October 11: The Aachen Bishop Johannes Pohlschneider inaugurates the new Marian column on the market square
  • October: Removal of the ruins of the water tower on Fr.-Ebert-Platz (blown up on February 24, 1945)

1958

  • Construction of the Rita-Stift retirement home by the Cellitinnen in R.-v.-Scheven-Str.
  • March 2nd: Demolition of the old Nikolauskirche in Rölsdorf, Monschauer Str., Due to dilapidation
  • June 12: Lord Mayor Heinrich Spiess and City Director Hans Brückmann take part in the launch of the minesweeper "Düren" .
  • September 15: By resolution of the works committee of the city of Düren, the municipal works take over the maintenance of the indoor swimming pool in Bismarckstr.
  • September 18: The town hall clock is installed. The dial weighs 15 quintals
  • September 28: Inauguration of the first indoor swimming pool in Bismarckstrasse, later City-Bad (demolished in May 1998)
  • December 15: The St. Michael kindergarten opens in Block 1 of the Riemann barracks

1959

  • January 9th: Inauguration of the new town hall on Kaiserplatz
  • April 22nd: In Cuxhaven a minesweeper is put into service, which is named DÜREN.
  • 30./31. May: The first official delegation from Valenciennes in France visits the city
  • October 28: The Belgian King Baudouin I visits the Düren garrison

1960

January 1st: The Deutsche Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft (DEG) in Frankfurt takes over the operational management of the circular route to Nörvenich - Zülpich from the Düren circular route . At the same time, passenger traffic on the Nörvenich - Bessenich tram line will be shut down.

1961

  • April 28th: ​​The Belgian Queen Fabiola visits Düren
  • October 26: Opening of the Woolworth branch on the corner of Wirtelstrasse and Colognestrasse.

1962

  • Karl-Heinz Schnellinger , born on March 31, 1939 , was named Footballer of the Year 1962. He had played for SG Düren 99 , then for 1. FC Cologne , later in Italy and was a member of the World Cup several times
  • Relocation of the natural science high school from the corner of August-Klotz-Str./Tivolistr. (later music school) to Hans-Brückmann-Str., now Wirteltorgymnasium
  • On November 16, the anniversary of Düren's destruction , the sculpture “Flaming Angel” created by Adolf Wamper will be inaugurated in front of the town hall

1963

  • March 11th: Construction of the bell tower of the Anna Church begins
  • March 25th: The district association Düren of the "Lebenshilfe für Mentally Handicapped eV" is founded
  • April 30: The last passenger tram in Düren runs from Kaiserplatz to Nörvenich
  • December 1: The parish of the parts of the two large settlements belonging to the parish of St. Michael Lendersdorf takes place in the Nikolauspfarre. So the city boundary also became the parish boundary.

1964

  • The Düren railway AG represents the total passenger buses on order
  • First international fencing tournament in Düren
  • January 27: Inauguration of the new kindergarten of the parish St. Bonifatius at the new cemetery in the extended Friedensstrasse.
  • April: Completion of the bell tower of Anna church with carillon
  • April 9: The new Josefschule in Dechant-Bohnekamp-Str. is related
  • May 10: Düren begins twinning with Valenciennes in northern France
  • July 10th: Delivery of the four large bells for the Anna Church
  • November 27th: The new school building of the municipal high school for girls on Bismarckstrasse. is inaugurated

1965

  • The sports teacher Bernd Malzbender founds the first Düren volleyball club, today "SWD Powervolleys Düren", from a subdivision of the Düren gymnastics club.
  • Start of construction of the new Stadtwerke building in Arnoldsweilerstr. , previously in the current Fritz-Erler-Str., completed in 1968
  • January 1: The purchase contract with Thyssen-Gas for the supply of natural gas comes into force
  • April: The first parking meters in Düren are set up in Bismarckstrasse and Kölnstrasse
  • March 22nd: The German trade union federation starts building its own office building in Kämergasse (inauguration January 27th, 1966)
  • December 21: Inauguration of the St. Peter Julian Church in Kölnstr. (demolished in June 2003)

1966

  • Start of construction on the new Birgel administrative building on Monschauer Str. In Rölsdorf. The Birgel office then consisted of the communities Gürzenich , Birgel and Lendersdorf-Krauthausen and Berzbuir-Kufferath .
  • The start of the school year was postponed to two short school years. The 1966 school year began on April 1st and ended on November 30th. The school year 1966/67 began on December 1 and ended on July 31, 1967. Since then, Easter has not been postponed, but rather before the summer holidays.
  • January 1st: The parish of St. Peter Julian in Kölnstrasse starts work
  • May 5: The first electric train on the Cologne-Aachen route passes Düren
  • June 30th: Dürener Eisenbahn AG (1,000 mm gauge) ceases operations
  • Establishment of the district secondary schools on Bretzelnweg and in Kreuzau
  • May 17: Foundation stone laid for the Ford factory in Düren, later VISTEON, then TEDRIVE and later NEAPCO. The building plot was 326,000 m². The plant was later expanded

1967

  • August 1st: For all children who started school after this day, normal school time now ended with the 9th grade
  • October 8th: The Franziskaner-Gymnasium in Vossenack is inaugurated
  • November 28: The Veldener Hof in the extended Malteserstrasse is demolished. The former Johanniter monastery (Maltese monastery) used to stand there

1968

1969

  • The new pond bridge on Monschauer Str. Will be opened to traffic
  • January 1: The Dürener Kreisbahn takes over the passenger bus service of the Dürener Eisenbahn AG
  • May 5: The Ministry of Culture approves the construction of a new language grammar school for boys and girls in development, decided by the city council on December 12, 1968 (since February 17, 1972: Burgau grammar school ). School starts after the summer holidays with four sixths in the green belt school
  • July 1: The municipalities of Berzbuir-Kufferath and Lendersdorf-Krauthausen are merged to form the new municipality of Lendersdorf. [1]

1970

  • The Nordlichtspiele cinema closes
  • The circular path represents the freight on the circle line one
  • Inauguration of the St. Peter Julian Kindergarten in Kölnstr.
  • August 1st: At the beginning of the school year there are no more elementary schools, only elementary and secondary schools; the Bürgewaldschule in Arnoldsweiler (special school for people with learning disabilities) starts operations
  • October 6: The city council decides to build a second indoor swimming pool at the Jesuitenhof , inaugurated in 1970, taken over by the Düren service company (DSB) in 2011 from the Düren municipal utilities
  • December 16: A wagon falls from the railway embankment into Josef-Schregel-Strasse

1971

  • Demolition of the milk bar at the current confluence of Bismarckstrasse / Hans-Brückmann-Strasse
  • March 16: The city library moves from the museum to Arnoldsweilerstraße
  • April 29: A social therapeutic model institute for lawbreakers at risk of relapse is put into operation in the district court prison, designed for 33 people
  • August: Completion of the commercial schools, Euskirchener Str., With the district sports hall

1972

1973

  • For the first time, the competition “ Our village should be more beautiful ” is taking place in the Düren district .
  • May 14th: The old federal railway bridges on Josef-Schregel-Str. and Veldener Str. will be dismantled.
  • May 17th: Groundbreaking ceremony for the new Jesuitenhof indoor swimming pool
  • June 3: Part of the market becomes a pedestrian zone
  • November: The police building at the corner of Aachener Str./A.-Klotz-Str. is handed over to his appointment by Minister of the Interior Willi Weyer .

1974

  • Beginning of the reconstruction of Burgau Castle
  • January 1: The Kreissparkasse Düren and Jülich merge to become the Kreissparkasse Düren
  • January 9th: The last block of the Riemann barracks was blown up.
  • 13-15 February: The Russian writer Alexander Solzhenitsyn visits the writer Heinrich Böll in his country house in Kreuzau- Langenbroich immediately after his expulsion from the Soviet Union
  • March 11th A starfighter from Nörvenich crashes directly behind the FORD works. The 27-year-old pilot Harald Böhnke can save himself with the ejection seat. [4]
  • April: Completion of the Konrad-Adenauer-Park, formerly a Catholic cemetery, in Kölnstr. as a park
  • April: Completion of the forest nature trail in the Burgau Forest
  • April 17th: Commissioning of the new sewage treatment plant of the Rur wastewater association in Merkener Busch
  • 11-13 May: 1st city flea market
  • July 20: Inauguration of the 2nd indoor swimming pool at the Jesuitenhof in Nideggener Str.
  • July 24th: The Minister of the Interior of Luxembourg visits Düren, Nörvenich and Kreuzau
  • August: At the Annakirmes the “1. World Championships in cherry stone spitting
  • At the beginning of the new school year, the new east school building will be put into operation
  • November 14th: The 1st section of the pedestrian zone in Wirtelstrasse. from Kleine Zehnthofstr. to Kölnstr. is inaugurated
  • November 30th: Opening of the 1st Christmas market in Düren on the market square

1975

  • Demolition of the Riemann barracks on Euskirchener Str.
  • February 18: The foundation stone is laid for the vocational support organization in Karl-Arnold-Str.
  • March 19: Due to a decree by the Minister of the Interior, the Oberkreisdirektor decrees that Düren is no longer allowed to have a “Lord Mayor” or “Oberstadtdirektor”, but rather a mayor and city director
  • March 31st: The last Elisabethers leave Düren. You were last in the hospital on Roonstr. active.
  • Spring: Creation of the trail for the blind in the Burgau Forest
  • Spring: Demolition of the memorial on Fuchsberg for a new residential area. The memorial for 700 victims of the First World War began in 1938 and was never completed. Since the beginning of the Second World War , no more has been built.
  • June: The youth traffic school on Annakirmesplatz opens
  • June 24th: The 17th Belgian tank brigade leaves the Düren site after 23 years
  • July 12th: First market day in the pedestrian zone in front of the Stadtsparkasse, before that around the Anna Church
  • September 13: Inauguration of the new Antonius Church in the green belt
  • November 18: Inauguration of the regional office of the Diocese of Aachen on the grounds of the Eucharist in Wernersstrasse.
  • December 8th: Inauguration of the new Marienkapelle on the corner of Monschauer Str./Lendersdorfer Weg (the old chapel was demolished in 1974 due to road construction work at the crossing area)

literature

Individual evidence

  1. Martin Bünermann: The communities of the first reorganization program in North Rhine-Westphalia . Deutscher Gemeindeverlag, Cologne 1970, p. 98.
  2. Martin Bünermann, Heinz Köstering: The communities and districts after the municipal territorial reform in North Rhine-Westphalia . Deutscher Gemeindeverlag, Cologne 1975, ISBN 3-555-30092-X , p. 59.
  3. ^ Federal Statistical Office (ed.): Historical municipality directory for the Federal Republic of Germany. Name, border and key number changes in municipalities, counties and administrative districts from May 27th, 1970 to December 31st, 1982 . W. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart / Mainz 1983, ISBN 3-17-003263-1 , p. 306.
  4. Hero of Düren