|Active||April 1937-March 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Joaquin Perez Salas|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 19th Division was one of the divisions of the People's Army of the Republic that were organized during the Spanish Civil War on the basis of the Mixed Brigades . It was deployed on the Córdoba , Levante and Extremadura fronts .
The unit was created on April 3, 1937, [ 1 ] after the disappearance of the old sector of Córdoba.
The 19th Division, which was made up of the 73rd , 74th and 88th mixed brigades , came under the command of Lieutenant Colonel of Artillery Joaquín Pérez Salas . [ 2 ] It had its headquarters in Pozoblanco , and it covered the front between the Zújar and Yeguas rivers . [ 3 ] As of June 1937, the unit was assigned to the VIII Army Corps . [ 4 ]
In February 1938, the 19th Division was sent to the Teruel front as a reinforcement unit against the Francoist counteroffensive, [ 5 ] being integrated into the XXI Army Corps . [ n. 1 ] Later it came under the jurisdiction of the XXII Army Corps , [ 7 ] taking part in the Levante campaign . Some time later it would be sent to Extremadura to reinforce the republican units deployed in this sector, leaving the VII Army Corps affected . [ 8 ]
In January 1939 he was present at the battle of Peñarroya , initially as a reserve force.
- artillery lieutenant colonel Joaquín Pérez-Salas García ;
- artillery commander José Cifuentes del Rey ; [ 4 ]
- militia major José Recalde Vela ; [ 9 ]
- Major of the militias Juan Martínez Lignac ; [ 10 ]
- Chiefs of Staff
- artillery commander José Cifuentes del Rey ; [ 13 ]
- infantry commander Francisco Furió Hurtado ; [ 14 ]
- militia lieutenant Antonio Pérez Olmedo ;
Order of battle
|Date||Attached Army Corps||Integrated Mixed Brigades||Battle front|
|June 1937||VIII Army Corps||73.ª , 74.ª y 88.ª||Córdoba|
|December 1937||VIII Army Corps||52.ª , 88.ª y 114.ª||Córdoba|
|February 1938||XXII Army Corps||52.ª , 73.ª y 74.ª||Teruel|
|June 1938||XXI Army Corps||6th , 58th and 16th Assault Group||Levante|
- Moreno Gómez, 1985, p. 593.
- Zaragoza, 1983, p. 58.
- Moreno Gómez, 1985 , pp. 557, 593.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , p. 129.
- Engel, 1999, p. 74.
- Moreno Gómez, 1985 , pp. 615-616.
- Martínez Bande, 1977 , p. 94.
- VV.AA., 1990, p. 616.
- Alpert, 2013, p. 130.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , p. 304.
- Álvarez, 1989, p. 180.
- Engel, 1999, p. 207.
- Moreno Gómez, 1985 , p. 557.
- Moreno Gómez, 1985 , p. 616.
- Alpert, Michael (2013). The Republican Army in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939. Cambridge University Press.
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1977). The offensive on Valencia . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- -- (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- Moreno Gómez , Francisco (1985). The Civil War in Córdoba (1936-1939) . Córdoba: Alpuerto.
- VV.AA. (1990). General history of Spain and America XVII . The second republic and the civil war . Madrid: Rialp Editions.
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.