The first Badische body Dragoon Regiment. 20 was a cavalry joined the Grand Ducal Baden Army . The regiment set up in 1803 became part of the Baden contingent in the Prussian Army in 1871 and was disbanded with this in 1919.
On February 28, 1803, the margraviate of Baden received parts of the territory of the Bavarian Electoral Palatinate ( Electorate of Baden ). This expansion of the territory also involved the takeover of a former Palatinate-Bavarian Chevaulegers - Eskadron . It was given the designation Light Dragoon Squadron and garrisoned in Heidelberg . With an electoral order of January 28, 1804, this squadron was topped up with three newly established squadrons to form the light dragoon regiment and relocated to Bruchsal on December 26, 1807. On November 22, 1809, the regimental commander, Colonel Karl von Freystedt, became adjutant generalthe cavalry and regiment owners . It was now called Dragoon Regiment "von Freystedt" No. 1.
After the end of the Wars of Liberation , the regiment was assigned to Bruchsal, Mannheim and Schwetzingen as garrisons in 1815 . By order of April 12, 1830, the regiment was given its new name Dragoon Regiment "von Freystedt" No. 2.
During the revolution of 1848/49 almost all cavalry units in Baden deserted and joined the rebels. After the unrest had been put down, the mutinous groups were disbanded. Only the 4th squadron of the regiment "von Freystedt" No. 2, which was stationed in the Bavarian fortress Landau in 1848 , had not mutinied  . With the exception of this squadron, the regiment was disbanded on July 14, 1849 and formed the armed 1st rider depot.
On February 1, 1850, the association was reorganized as the 1st cavalry regiment to four squadrons and on January 10, 1855 was named 1st Dragoons Regiment . The association was renamed on September 20, 1856 on the occasion of the wedding of Grand Duke Friedrich I with Princess Luise of Prussia in (1st) Leib-Dragoon Regiment . According to the military convention with Prussia, the association was named 1st Badisches Leib-Dragoons Regiment No. 20 on July 1, 1871 . On April 1, 1887, the regiment moved its last garrison to Karlsruhe. With the 2nd Badischer Dragoon Regiment No. 21 , the association formed the28th Cavalry Brigade .
Campaigns and fighting
During the coalition wars , the regiment took part on the French side in the fighting in Pomerania against Prussian and Swedish associations. In 1809 it fought against Austrian troops advancing to Vienna . In the campaign against Russia in 1812 there was no major combat activity. In 1813 the Dragoons fought on the French side for the last time in the Battle of the Nations near Leipzig .
In the war against France , the regiment was initially involved in the capture of Haguenau on August 4, 1870 and then participated in the siege of Strasbourg from August 10 to September 27 . In December the regiment was involved in the battle at Nuits . As the war continued, the dragoons were used in reconnaissance and patrol service in France.
First World War
After mobilization at the outbreak of World War I , the regiment was initially deployed to reconnaissance services in France in August 1914 and then took part in the advance to the Rhine-Marne Canal . After the withdrawal order in September, the regiment took part in the race to the sea and was deployed on the right wing of the 1st Army until the end of October and then in the area of the new 4th Army . In November the association moved to the Eastern Front with partly cavalry and infantry operations. It fights in the area of Russian Poland , near Lodz , near Brzezyny in northern Poland, inCourland and Lithuania . In 1916 the regiment on the Daugava went into positional warfare. The association was then moved to the Danish border for protection and was then entrusted with the same task at the Belgian-Dutch border from September 1917 to March 1918. From March to November 1918 it was used for security and police services in the rear front area.
Until 1871 the regiment chiefs were designated as owners.
|Colonel / Lieutenant General||Karl von Freystedt||November 22, 1809 to April 11, 1830|
|General of the cavalry||Maximilian of Baden||April 12, 1830 to September 19, 1856|
|Generaloberst||Friedrich I of Baden||September 20, 1856 to September 28, 1907|
General of the Cavalry / |
|Friedrich II of Baden||September 28, 1907 until dissolution|
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Friedrich von der Goltz||July 15 to November 3, 1871 (in charge of the tour)|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Friedrich von der Goltz||November 4, 1871 to November 11, 1878|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Hermann von Brünneck||November 12, 1878 to March 11, 1881|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Arthur von Frankenberg and Proschlitz||March 12, 1881 to February 10, 1886|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Emil von Beulwitz||February 11, 1886 to November 18, 1889|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Franz von Schmidt||November 19, 1889 to May 13, 1894|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Friedrich von Bernhardi||May 14, 1894 to September 9, 1897|
|Major||Wolfgang von Unger||September 10, 1897 to August 17, 1898 (in charge of the tour)|
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Wolfgang von Unger||August 18, 1898 to October 17, 1900|
|Lieutenant colonel||Ludwig von Schack||October 18, 1900 to April 17, 1903|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Max von Baden||April 18, 1903 to July 9, 1907|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Georg Thumb from Neuburg||July 10, 1907 to February 19, 1912|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Leopold von Geßler||February 20, 1912 to November 12, 1914|
|Oberst||Hugo von Loen||November 13, 1914 to February 1, 1915|
|Lieutenant colonel||Wilhelm Marschalck von Bachtenbrock||February 2, 1915 to February 28, 1918|
|Lieutenant colonel||Ernst von Rathenow||March 1, 1918 to February 6, 1919|
|Lieutenant colonel||Eduard von Rotberg||February 7 to September 30, 1919|
Under the Empire, the Dragoons wore a cornflower blue tunic with Swedish lapels and ponceau red badges . Cuffs, collars, epaulette fields and shoulder flaps as well as advances were badge-colored. There was an embroidered yellow crown on the epaulettes and a tombac crown on the epaulettes . The buttons and fittings were made of nickel silver . A white bandolier with a black cartridge ran from the left shoulder to the right hip . Bandoliers and cartouches were not worn with the evening suit and formal suit. The pimple hoodwas provided with the Baden griffin in nickel silver. The scale chains and the tip of the helmet were made of tombac. A white (for the musicians a red) horsehair bush was attached to the parade. The national cockade was yellow-red, as was the team's lance flag. The non-commissioned officers' lance flag was yellow with a red, Baden griffin. The waist strap was white and had a simple pin buckle. The pants were charcoal gray.
According to AKO of February 14, 1907, the field gray uniform M 1910 was introduced in the entire army from 1909/10 onwards for field service. In this uniform, the straps and boots were natural brown, the helmet was covered by a reed-colored cover. The bandolier and cartridge were no longer worn.
- Hugo Knittel (1888–1958), sculptor from Freiburg, volunteered for service in the regiment in 1915 
- Nicola Moufang (1886–1967), lawyer and art historian , volunteered for service in the regiment in 1914 
- Eugen Moufang (1889–1967), lawyer and resident attorney, volunteered for service in the regiment in 1914 
- Franz Moufang (1893–1984), lawyer, cultural advisor, justice of the peace and art collector, volunteered for service in the regiment in 1914 
- Wilhelm Moufang (1895–1989), lawyer, astrologer, author, art collector, volunteered for service in the regiment in 1914 
- Claus von Bredow : Historical ranking and master list of the German army. Part II, Verlag August Scherl, Berlin 1905, pp. 650–651.
- Ferdinand Rau: History of the 1st Badische Leib-Dragoons-Regiment No. 20 and its main regiment of the Badischer Dragoon-Regiment von Freystedt from 1803 to the present. Königliche Hofbuchhandlung Ernst Siegfried Mittler und Sohn, Berlin 1878. Available online in the Google Book Search Digitized version
- F. v. Ernest, K. v. Regenauer: History of the 1st Baden Leib-Dragoon Regiment No. 20, 1908–1918. Volume 2 (= memorial sheets of German regiments. Units of the former Prussian contingent . Volume 133 ). Stalling, Oldenburg iO / Berlin 1925 ( digitized version of the Württemberg State Library ).
- Hans-Joachim Harder: Military history handbook Baden-Württemberg. Published by the Military History Research Office , Kohlhammer , Stuttgart 1987, ISBN 3-17-009856-X .
- Jürgen Kraus : The German Army in World War I: Uniforms and Equipment. 1914 to 1918. Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2004 (= catalogs of the Bavarian Army Museum, 2), ISBN 3-9501642-5-1 .
- Hugo FW Schulz: The Prussian Cavalry Regiments 1913/1914. Podzun-Pallas Verlag, Friedberg 1985, licensed edition Weltbild Verlag, Augsburg 1992, ISBN 3-89350-343-9 .
- Wehrgeschichtliches Museum Rastatt (ed.): Unter dem Greifen - Old Baden military from the unification of the margraviates to the founding of the empire 1771–1871 , Rastatt 1984
- Hans-Joachim Harder: Military History Handbook Baden-Württemberg. Published by the Military History Research Office, p. 104.
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 3: The occupation of the active regiments, battalions and departments from the foundation or list up to August 26, 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1993, ISBN 3-7648-2413-1 , p. 81.
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 3: The occupation of the active regiments, battalions and departments from the foundation or list up to August 26, 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1993, ISBN 3-7648-2413-1 , p. 82.
- Heinz Spath: sculptor Hugo Knittel. circa 1956.
- Heidelberg City Archives