1. FC Nebra traces its roots back to the 1924 Nebra sports club, which was founded in 1924. After the Second World War, the SV 1924, like all sports clubs in the Soviet occupation zone, was dissolved at the instigation of the occupying power. A simply organized football team was founded in Nebra as early as 1945 in order to take part in the sports competitions that were temporarily permitted on a narrow regional level. This was after the introduction of the system of the East German company sports associations(BSG) taken over by the neighboring BSG activist Roßleben. It was not until 1953 that the BSG unit was established in Nebra with several sports sections, including a soccer section. In 1966, the company sports association Einheit Nebra and Aufbau Karsdorf were taken over by the Karsdorf cement works as a joint sponsoring company and merged to form the new BSG ZWK Nebra. In the 1970s, the BSG ZWK developed a high-performance wrestling section, whose team rose to the highest wrestling league in the GDR (Ringer Oberliga). The soccer section, however, did not come above the district league levelout. After German reunification and the discontinuation of the BSG system, members of the previous BSG ZWK founded the 1924 Nebra sports club in 1990. For economic reasons, the football department left SV 1924 in 1995 and founded the independent 1. FC 1924 Nebra on June 16, 1995. In 2012 the club merged with SG ZW Karsdorf to form FC ZWK Nebra.
Development of the sport of football
The Nebra football players experienced their first high point when SV 1924 won the district championship in 1932. After the Second World War, the district championship was celebrated in 1951, promotion to district class B in 1955, and promotion to district class A in 1959. The junior team won the junior district cup in 1965 and then took part in the GDR-wide junior cup competition. The men won the district cup in 1970 and the district cup in 1972. So they were qualified for the competition for the GDR Cup and met in the first main round on the two leagues higher playing GDR divisionForward Leipzig. The army footballers needed extra time in Nebra to finally win 5-2. With the momentum of the cup experience, the BSG ZKW won the relay in 1973 in the district class and rose to the third-class Halle district league. The Nebraers were able to hold the class for two seasons, in 1975/76 the third from last rank meant the return to the district class. The recovery succeeded immediately, but the new district league season 1977/78 ended again with a third from last place and relegation to the fourth division. A return to the district league did not succeed until the end of the GDR soccer operation in 1990, but in 1978 ZWK Nebra won the district cup again. This time, the Nebra team met activist Kali Werra Tiefenort's team in the GDR League in the GDR Cup, and there was a sang and soundless 3-0 defeat. In the DFB game operation, too, the district class level initially remained decisive for Nebra. It was not until 1997 that 1. FC 1924 was promoted to the Saxony-Anhalt state league. This soccer class, 7th since 2008, has been held so far. In 2004 and 2007 the 1. FC won the district cup. After the 2008/09 season, the Nebra rose as bottom of the table in the national class and after 2009/10 in the regional league Burgenland. In 2012, the club withdrew its first team from playing. Currently (as of: 2015/16 season) the successor club FC ZWK Nebra competes in the regional league.
1. FC 1924 Nebra plays its soccer games in the 1000-seat Dieter Höhne sports facility in the north of the city. The soccer field was completed in 1958. The entire facility was named in 1989 after the player and coach Dieter Höhne, who died early.