|Years||2000 2001 2002 ← 2003 → 2004 2005 2006|
|Decades||1970s 1980s 1990s ← 2000s → 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Centuries||XX century ← XXI century → XXII century|
|Annual table of the 21st century|
|News per month|
- The International Year of Fresh Water, by the United Nations Economic and Social Council .
- The year of the goat , according to the Chinese horoscope of the 2000s .
- March 18 : Day of the Venezuelan Indigenous Child .
- March 23 : centenary of the Racing Club , an Argentine sports club . [ 1 ]
- April 26 : centenary of Club Atlético de Madrid , Spanish football club .
- January 1st :
- January 2 : in France , the police abort a plan to escape ETA prisoners in the Parisian prison of La Santé .
- 10 January : in Angola is killed Jonas Savimbi , leader of the right - wing guerrilla UNITA .
- January 11 : the governor of Illinois (United States) commutes the death sentences of 161 convicts.
- January 12 :
- January 23 : in Colima ( Mexico ) there is an earthquake of 7.6 degrees on the Richter scale .
- January 27 : in Mexico , CNI Channel 40 recovers its antennas at Cerro del Chiquihuite taken a month earlier by TV Azteca .
- January 30: In Belgium , the bill on same-sex marriage was approved by the House of Representatives by 91 votes in favor and 22 against.
- February 1 :
- February 2 :
- February 3 :
- In Nigeria , the government imposes a curfew in the south of the country to stem a wave of ethnic violence .
- On the Spanish coast of Tarifa ( Cádiz ), 163 immigrants are detained after crossing the waters of the Strait of Gibraltar on a dinghy .
- In Spain, the fuel discharged by the Prestige tanker continues to reach the Galician and Cantabrian coasts.
- February 4 : the Constitutional Charter enters into force in Serbia and Montenegro .
- February 5 : The International Court of Justice in The Hague orders the United States to temporarily suspend the execution of three Mexican prisoners.
- February 6 :
- In Madrid , surgeons at a hospital manage to transplant a complete digestive system ( stomach , duodenum , small intestine , pancreas and liver ) in addition to a kidney to an adolescent .
- In the vicinity of the Department of Tolima , Colombia , the minister of social protection Juan Luis Londoño and four other people lost their lives when the plane in which they were traveling crashed. The bodies would be found five days later.
- February 7 :
- The Spanish Government approves the bill that modifies the Penal Code to introduce the increase and full compliance of the penalties for those convicted of terrorism and serious crimes.
- In Spain, the flooding of the Ebro river , the largest in that country, floods several municipalities and forces the eviction of almost a thousand people.
- Belize , Guatemala and Honduras sign an agreement within the OAS to provide Guatemala with access to the Caribbean Sea .
- In Bogotá ( Colombia ), a terrorist attack against the El Nogal Club : a car bomb explodes in the El Nogal club building; 36 people die and more than 200 are injured, including several children.
- February 9:
- In Montenegro, the presidential elections are annulled due to the high rate of abstention.
- The Spanish athlete Alberto García beats the European record of the 5000 meters sprint on the indoor track in Ghent ( Belgium ) (13 min 11.39 s).
- The United States Navy announces its withdrawal from the island of Vieques .
- February 10 : France , Germany and Belgium block the United States' request to NATO to plan the eventual military defense of Turkey , a country bordering Iraq .
- February 11th:
- February 13 :
- February 14 : Dolly the Sheep , the first cloned mammal, dies .
- February 15 :
- Millions of people around the world are demonstrating against the possibility of another American war (this time against Iraq ).
- In Gaza ( Palestinian Territories ), members of Hamas kill four Israeli soldiers .
- The Holy See declassifies part of the documentary archives that collect its relations with Germany in the Third Reich .
- February 16 :
- February 17 : the European Union asks Iraq for maximum collaboration to achieve a peaceful solution to the crisis.
- February 18 :
- In Daegu ( South Korea ) about 200 people die in the subway fire .
- In Murueta ( Vizcaya ), the Ertzaintza deactivates a bomb with seven kilos of dynamite.
- In Peru , Vladimiro Montesinos , former head of the Peruvian Intelligence Service, sits on the bench to answer for a crime of influence peddling.
- In Bolivia , the Council of Ministers presents its collective resignation to President Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada .
- February 19 :
- February 20 :
- In Venezuela , a judge orders the arrest of Carlos Fernández Pérez , president of Fedecámaras (the largest business organization in Venezuela), for his actions as instigator of the general strike against the government of Hugo Chávez .
- In Spain, a breakdown leaves 8.7 million citizens subscribing to the Vodafone company without a mobile phone .
- In Spain, the judge of the National Court Juan del Olmo orders the closure of the Egunkaria newspaper for its alleged relationship with the terrorist group ETA . Ten people are arrested. Nine were later released on bail.
- February 21 :
- February 22 :
- The French Academy of Cinema awards seven César awards to El pianista (by Roman Polanski ) and Pedro Almodóvar collects the award for the best European film for Talk to her .
- In Seville (Belgium), the Spanish athlete Alberto García Fernández breaks the European record of the 3000 sprint meters on the indoor track (7 min , 32.98 s ).
- February 23 : the British Film Academy awards two Bafta awards (best script and best foreign film) to Pedro Almodóvar for Talk to her .
- February 24 :
- March 1 :
- March 8: Malta approves its accession to the European Union in a referendum .
- March 11 : The International Criminal Court is established in The Hague ( Netherlands ) .
- March 12: The WHO alert known as a coronavirus SARS to the spread to Vietnam and Hong Kong .
- March 16 : In the Gaza Strip , an Israeli soldier crushes American activist Rachel Corrie (23) with a bulldozer , preventing the demolition of Palestinian homes
- March 19 : George Maxwell Richards takes office as president of Trinidad and Tobago .
- March 20 : the Iraq War or Second Gulf War begins . Troops from the United States and three other countries invade Iraq .
- March 21 : Marcos Lagos electromechanical.
- March 22 : in Madrid police and a minority of rioters face each other at the end of a new march against the war in Iraq.
- March 23: Slovenia approves its accession to the European Union in a referendum . and to NATO .
- April 1 : Japanese video game companies Square and Enix merge and create their corporate entity Square Enix .
- April 2 :
- A group of Cubans hijack a ferry in Havana to flee the island.
- The Israeli army reoccupies the Tulkarem refugee camp and detains a thousand Palestinians.
- April 6 : in El Salvador the VTV channel channel 35 in open signal and 5 in cable begins operations .
- April 7:
- 9 of April : in Iraq the forces of the United States conquer Baghdad .
- April 10 : 22 students and their teacher die in a school fire in Siberia .
- April 12: Hungary approves its accession to the European Union in a referendum .
- April 14: The Human Genome Project is completed, with 99% of the genome sequenced.
- April 17 : Fourteenth Encyclical of John Paul II , Ecclesia de Eucharistia .
- April 20 : Argentine airline LAPA goes bankrupt .
- April 24 : Microsoft launches for workstations and servers: Windows Server 2003
- April 27 :
- The justicialist Carlos Saúl Menem wins the presidential elections in the Argentine Republic. However, due to the fact that it does not reach 45% of the votes required by Argentine law to assume an elective office, a ballot is started with the also justicialist Néstor Kirchner .
- In Paraguay , Nicanor Duarte Frutos is elected president.
- April 28 : launch of the Galaxy Evolution Explorer space observatory .
- April 29 : in the city of Santa Fe (Argentina) , the Salado river produces a very serious flood (23 deaths).
- May 3 : John Paul II visits Spain for the fifth time . The next day he canonizes Saint Angela de la Cruz , Saint Wonders of Jesus , Saint Genoveva Torres , Saint Pedro Poveda and Saint José María Rubio in Madrid .
- May 5 : in Colombia , the governor of the department of Antioquia , Guillermo Gaviria Correa , the former defense minister, Gilberto Echeverri Mejía , and eight soldiers who remained in the hands of the FARC , are assassinated by said guerrilla group in the middle of an operation of rescue carried out by the army. The events occurred in a rural area of the municipality of Urrao , southwest of Antioquia.
- May 9 : launch of the Hayabusa space probe .
- May 13 :
- Carlos Saúl Menem (winner in the first round of ballotage ) abandons the race for the presidency of Argentina , which is why Néstor Kirchner accedes to the first magistracy .
- In the Dominican Republic , the governor of the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic, José Lois Malkum, delivered a speech at the National Palace on the tax fraud of the Intercontinental Bank as a cause of the Dominican financial crisis of 2003.
- May 17 :
- In Kirkuk , Iraq , 13 people die in an ethnic confrontation between Kurds and Arabs .
- 29 German tourists on their way to Spain die in a bus accident in France .
- The Spanish athlete Alberto García , European champion of the 5000 meters, reveals his positive for EPO (erythropoietin) after a control carried out on March 29 after the World Short Cross .
- Slovakia approves its accession to the European Union in a referendum .
- May 20 :
- May 24 : in Riga , Latvia the IIL Edition of the Eurovision Song Contest is held, with Turkey winning with the singer Sertab Erener and the song Everyway that I can .
- May 25 :
- May 26 : 62 Spanish soldiers die when the plane in which they were returning after completing a mission in Afghanistan crashed on Turkish soil
- May 30 : an attack by ETA takes place in Sangüesa , Navarra .
- June 1 : In Belgium , Marriage between persons of the same sex comes into force .
- June 2 : Dominican Amelia Vega is crowned Miss Universe in Panama City , Panama .
- June 3 : in the La Mancha town of Chinchilla a serious train accident occurs due to human error, 19 people die.
- June 8: Poland approves its accession to the European Union in a referendum .
- June 14 :
- June 18 : The 6th edition of the 2003 FIFA Confederations Cup begins in France for the first time .
- June 28 : the Harley Davidson Open Road Tour lands in Barcelona , celebrating 100 years of the brand. More than 15,000 motorcycles gather in Montjuïc, making possible one of the largest motorcycle festivals in the history of Spain .
- June 29 : in Paris (France), the FIFA Confederations Cup tournament ends where the French are crowned champions for the second time by defeating the surprising Cameroon 1-0.
- July 2 :
- July 3 : Úbeda and Baeza are named World Heritage Sites by UNESCO .
- July 6 : general elections are held in Mexico .
- July 8 : Dhahran , Saudi Arabia has the highest thermal sensation in history, registering 42 ° C combined with Relative Humidity of 68% and Dew Point of 35 ° C, thus registering 79.9 ° C of thermal sensation.
- July 24 : in Guatemala , Black Thursday is held during the government of Alfonso Portillo (2000-2004).
- July 27 :
- July 30 : from the Volkswagen plant in Puebla , Mexico , leaves the last Volkswagen Beetle , the famous Automobile of the Century, with more than 50 years of production. He is immediately transported to the Autostadt Museum in Wolfsburg , Germany .
- August 1 : The 2003 Santo Domingo Pan American Games are inaugurated .
- August 10 : The highest temperature in the history of the United Kingdom is recorded : 38.5 ° C (101.3 ° F) is recorded in Brogdale near Faversham in Kent . [ 2 ]
- August 11 : A heat wave in Paris causes temperatures of up to 44 ° C (112 ° F).
- August 12 : in Buenos Aires (Argentina), Congress votes - at the initiative of President Néstor Kirchner - the nullity of the Due Obedience and End Point laws (established in 1986 and 1987 by radical president Raúl Alfonsín ). [ 3 ]
- August 14 : The United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq is established . [ 4 ]
- August 15 :
- In the northeastern United States and the Great Lakes of Canada suffer a blackout , the most affected city is New York and causes the most serious loss of electricity in the Big Apple since those that occurred in 1965 and 1977, Many people are stranded in the subway and the streets and bridges of the New York metropolitan area.
- In Paraguay , Nicanor Duarte Frutos is sworn in as the 46th president and the fifth since the fall of Stroessner.
- An earthquake of 5.8 degrees on the Ritcher scale is felt in Petrel ( Alicante , Spain ).
- August 19 : In Honduras , former President Carlos Roberto Reina (1994-1998) commits suicide by shooting himself in the head.
- August 22 : At the Alcantara Launch Center (in northern Brazil ) a VLS-3 rocket explodes , instantly killing 21 Brazilian scientists and engineers.
- August 24 : at the Hungaroring circuit ( Hungary ), Fernando Alonso becomes the first Spaniard to win a Formula 1 grand prix .
- August 25 : the scandal of the actress and singer Lucero was carried out by a security agent ('guarura' in the dictionary of Mexican Spanish) and his pistol threatening the journalists present.
- August 28 - A power outage cuts power to around half a million people living in south-east England , bringing 60% of the London Underground to a standstill.
- August 29 : Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis create the messaging platform called Skype
- August 31 :
- September 3 : Actor Jack Dylan Grazer is born.
- September 9 : two Hamas attacks cause 15 deaths in Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv . [ 5 ]
- 10 of September : in the NK stores of Stockholm ( Sweden ), the minister Anna Lindh is stabbed, dying in the following morning.
- September 14 :
- September 20 : Latvia approves its accession to the European Union in a referendum .
- September 23 : the Tenerife Auditorium , one of the most important buildings in Spanish architecture, is inaugurated .
- September 26 : at 6:24:57 ( UTC + 9 ) in Hokkaido , Japan an earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale leaves at least 7 dead and nearly 800 injured.
- October 8: Arnold Schwarzenegger is elected governor of the state of California .
- October 11 : Madrid, Zaragoza and Lleida are linked by the AVE (Spanish High Speed).
- October 17 : in La Paz (Bolivia), due to the conflict over the export of natural gas, President Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada resigns from his post and leaves the country and is succeeded by Vice President Carlos Mesa .
- October 19 : in the Vatican, Pope John Paul II beatifies the Albanian nun Teresa of Calcutta .
- October 24 :
- October 28 : the largest forest fires in the history of that State occur in California ; 1,500 homes were destroyed, 16 people were killed and 2,400 km² burned. Evacuations of parts of cities are ordered in Los Angeles and San Diego counties . [ 6 ]
- October 29 :
- October 30 : in Baghdad ( Iraq ), the UN withdraws all its foreign personnel from that city.
- November 3 :
- November 9 : in Guatemala , Óscar Beger Perdomo wins the first round beating former dictator Efraín Ríos Montt .
- November 10 : The Vista Hermosa Massacre in Ciudad Bolívar occurs in Venezuela , leaving seven prisoners dead, while another fifteen were injured, including two prison guards.
- November 14 : Sedna , a trans-Neptunian object , is discovered .
- November 15 : in Cruz del Eje ( Argentina ) the Illia House Museum is inaugurated in memory of former President Arturo Umberto Illia , in his former private home.
- November 16 : The Estádio do Dragão is inaugurated in Porto ( Portugal ) .
- November 17 : In California, Britney Spears receives her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame , becoming the youngest singer to receive such recognition.
- November 23 : in Georgia after the protests caused by the Rose Revolution, President Eduard Shevardnadze resigns from power and leaves a transitional government in place until the arrival of Mikheil Saakashvili in January 2004
- November 26 : The Concorde is completely withdrawn from airports, ending the era of commercial and civil supersonic flights.
- November 27 : The 14th edition of the 2003 U-20 Soccer World Cup begins in the United Arab Emirates .
- November 28 and 29 : the first Telethon television marathon is held in Uruguay , raising 14.72 million Uruguayan pesos .
- December 4 : in Japan , the company Polyphony Digital launches the game Gran Turismo 4 Prologue
- December 5 : in Saltillo ( Mexico ) the Teletón Children's Rehabilitation Center is inaugurated.
- December 12 : Keiko the killer whale dies in Taknes Bay ( Norway ) , famous for being a star in the Free Willy trilogy and mascot of the Reino Aventura amusement park (currently Six Flags Mexico) between 1985 and 1996.
- December 12 and 13 : in Mexico the Telethon is presented , with the slogan "We do it all", which will raise 247 million pesos in service.
- December 13 :
- December 19 : in Abu Dhabi ( United Arab Emirates ), ends the U-20 World Cup and Brazil champion of the world crown for the fourth time in this category to the beat by the minimum difference 0-1 to Spain .
- December 20 : in Mexico, the Pachuca club becomes champion.
- December 26 :
- An earthquake measuring 6.6 on the Richter scale occurs in southeastern Iran ; some 46,000 people die, and the citadel of Bam is ruined .
- In Córdoba ( Argentina ) there is a strong tornado of intensity F3 with winds of up to 300 km / h causing at least 3 deaths, 2 missing, 45 injured, hundreds of evacuees and numerous material damage. [ 7 ]
- December 28 : in Guatemala , businessman Óscar Berger Perdomo is elected president.
- January 1 : Cole Sand , American actor.
- January 1: Daria Trubnikova , Russian rhythmic gymnast.
- January 3 : Greta Thunberg , student and Swedish activist.
- 4 of January : Jaeden Lieberher , American actor.
- January 6 : MattyBRaps , American rapper.
- January 23 : Kim Ye-lim , South Korean figure skater.
- January 24 : Anna Tarusina , Russian figure skater.
- 4 of February : Kyla Kenedy , American actress.
- February 17 : Federica Falzon , Maltese singer.
- February 20 : Olivia Rodrigo , American actress, singer and songwriter.
- February 26 : Lim Eun-soo , South Korean figure skater.
- March 2 : Eloise Taylor , third daughter of Timothy Taylor and his wife Helen Taylor .
- March 4 : Park Sa-rang , South Korean actress.
- March 12 : Malina Weissman , American actress and model.
- March 24 : Azul Álvarez , Mexican soccer player.
- March 26 : Bhad Bhabie , rapper and American influencer.
- April 3 : Elsie Fisher , American actress.
- April 8 : Álvaro Conrado , was a Nicaraguan high school student who became a symbol of the 2018 protests against the government of President Daniel Ortega (f. 2018 ).
- April 11 : Aksel Rykkvin , Norwegian singer.
- April 13 : Olivia Sanabia , American actress and singer.
- April 19 : Zamira Manzur , Mexican professional soccer player.
- April 29 : Maud Angélica Behn , eldest daughter of Princess Marta Luisa of Norway and her ex-husband, the writer Ari Behn .
- April 30 : Mikhail Smirnov , Russian singer and actor.
- May 1 : Lizzy Greene American actress.
- May 8 : Moulay Hassan , eldest son of the King of Morocco, Mohamed VI , and his wife, Lalla Salma .
- May 8: Joaquín Bondoni , Mexican actor.
- 12 of May - Madeleine McCann , missing girl in Praia da Luz , Portugal in 2007.
- May 16 : Noa Fontanals , Spanish actress.
- May 18 : Aylin Aviléz , Mexican soccer player.
- May 20 : Jeon Min-seo , South Korean actress.
- June 1 : Emjay Anthony , American actor.
- June 2 : Jeremy Ray Taylor , American actor.
- June 2: Wang Seok-hyun , South Korean actor.
- June 11 : Breanna Yde , Australian actress.
- June 22 : Alisa Kozhikina , Russian singer.
- June 23 : Princess María Carolina de Borbón de las Dos Sicilias , eldest daughter of Prince Carlos de Borbón-Dos Sicilias, Duke of Castro , and Princess Camilla de Borbón de las Dos Sicilias.
- July 3 : Iván Luengo , actor, voice doubler and Spanish footballer.
- July 4 : Polina Bogusevich , Russian singer.
- July 7 : Celeste D'Arcángelo , Argentine rhythmic gymnast.
- July 13 : Wyatt Oleff , American actor.
- July 26 : Can Öncü , Turkish motorcycle racer.
- August 13 : Chiara Francia , Argentine actress.
- August 18 : Max Charles , American actor.
- August 18: Rustam Karimov , Azerbaijani singer.
- 20 of August : Hayley Faith Negrin , American actress.
- August 20: Gabriel of Belgium , second son of the King of the Belgians Felipe of Belgium and his wife, Countess Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz .
- August 24 : Alyona Kostornaya , Russian figure skater.
- August 28 : Quvenzhané Wallis , American actress.
- 3 of September : Jack Dylan Grazer , American actor.
- September 14 : Betty , Armenian singer.
- September 18 : Aidan Gallagher , American actor.
- November 8 : Louise Mountbatten-Windsor , first daughter of Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and Sofia, Countess of Wessex and twelfth in the line of succession to the British throne and is a member of the British Royal Family .
- December 1 : Robert Irwin , Australian photographer.
- December 4 : Lauren Boles , American actress.
- December 7 : Catherine Amalia of Orange , is Princess of Orange , Princess of the Netherlands and Princess of Orange-Nassau , heir to the throne of the Netherlands as the eldest daughter of King William Alexander I and Queen Máxima .
- December 9 : South Korean singer Shin Yu-Na, member of the K-Pop group Itzy
- December 10 : Rebeca Martínez , was a Dominican baby who was born with two heads (d. 2004 ).
- December 22 : Neel Sethi , American actor.
- January 6 : Andrés Trapiello obtains the Nadal award for his novel Los amigos delideo Perfecto .
- Arturo Pérez-Reverte : The Knight in the Yellow Doublet , fifth installment in the series of The Adventures of Captain Alatriste .
- Rosa Montero : The madwoman of the house .
- Dan Brown : The Da Vinci Code .
- Miguel Argaya : History of the Falangists in the Franco regime .
- Mark Haddon : The Curious Incident of the Dog at Midnight .
Culture and fiction
- The animated series UnderWorld recounts the beginning of "Nuclear Armageddon" ( Third World War ) on August 25 , 2003
Science and Technology
- February 14 : Dolly the sheep dies , the first mammal cloned from an adult cell .
- March 1 : WHO signs the first international treaty against tobacco .
- In March, in Hong Kong , a group of doctors declared that they had identified the causative agent of SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) as belonging to the family of paramyxoviruses .
- April 11 : in Madrid the Metrosur is inaugurated, which connects with the metro .
- April 24 : The genome sequence is completed .
- In September, in the cave of Liang Bua - west of the island of Flores ( Indonesia ) -, a species of hominid known as Man of Flowers (Homo floresiensis) is found .
- January 6 : Launch of the US Earth observation satellite Coriolis .
- June 2 : launch of the European probe to Mars Mars Express .
- November 14 : discovery of the planetoid Sedna
- September 21 : The Galileo mission ends , after eight years of exploration of the Jupiter system.
- September 27 : launch of the European lunar probe Smart 1 .
- February 14 (Japan) / March 23 (United States) / March 28 (Europe): Nintendo's successful console , the Game Boy Advance SP (greatly improved revision of Game Boy Advance) goes on sale .
- Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed
- Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- The PC edition of the game GTA: Vice City goes on sale .
- June 17 : Microsoft Game Studios and Digital Illusions CE release the Midtown Madness 3 video game for the Xbox console ,
- July 24 : SNK Playmore and Capcom launch SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom for the Neo Geo Arcade System .
- September 28 : Vivendi Universal and Vicarious Visions release the Crash Nitro Kart video game for PlayStation 2 , Xbox , Nintendo Gamecube and Game Boy Advance .
- November 18 : Rockstar Games releases Manhunt for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox consoles , and it would later release for Microsoft Windows .
- December 12 : SNK Playmore releases The King of Fighters 2003 as well as being the last video game in the KOF series to appear on the Arcade Neo Geo system.
- Soccer Women's World Cup : Germany is proclaimed world champion for the first time after defeating Sweden 2: 1in the final.
- Intercontinental Cup : Boca Juniors (Argentina), champion after beating AC Milan .
- Champions League (Champions League): AC Milan , champion.
- UEFA Cup : FC Porto win the UEFA Cup .
- Copa Libertadores de América : Boca Juniors ( Argentina ), champion.
- Copa Sudamericana : Cienciano of Cusco champion of the South American Cup after beating proclaims 1: 0 in Arequipa , Peru to the River Plate of Argentina .
- Recopa Sudamericana : Club Olimpia (Paraguay), champion.
- Spanish soccer league : Real Madrid , champion.
- Copa del Rey : June 28 : Real Mallorca is proclaimed champion by beating Recreativo de Huelva 3: 0. The final was played in Elche .
- English League : Manchester United , champion.
- Argentine League :
- Colombian League :
- Chilean League :
- Mexican League :
- Italian League Juventus of Turin , champion.
- German League Bayern Munich , champion.
- Ballon d'Or : Czech Pavel Nedvěd ( Juventus Turin ), named best footballer in the world of the year according to France Football magazine.
- Ecuadorian Soccer Championship : Quito League , champion.
- July 5 : Sergio Agüero becomes the youngest footballer to debut in a first division tournament in Argentina . [ 9 ]
- NBA : San Antonio Spurs , champion.
- EuroLeague : April- The FC Barcelona is proclaimed, forfirst time champion of the Euroleague of basketball , the "Final Four" was played in Barcelona . Barcelona's Serbian player Dejan Bodiroga is named MVP of the tournament.
- ULEB Cup : Pamesa Valencia, champion.
- ACB League : FC Barcelona , champion.
- King's Basketball Cup : FC Barcelona , champion, defeating TAU Baskonia in the Valencia final84-78.
- Liga Sudamericana de Clubes : This year has been the only one in which this tournament has not been held since its creation in 1996.
- Handball European Cup : Montpellier HB (France), champion.
- Handball European Cup Winners' Cup : Handball Ciudad Real (Spain), champion.
- EHF Cup : FC Barcelona , champion.
- Liga ASOBAL (Spain): FC Barcelona , champion.
- Australian Open : Men: Andre Agassi to Rainer Schüttler . Women: Serena Williams to Venus Williams .
- Roland Garros : Men: Juan Carlos Ferrero to Martin Verkerk . Women: Justine Henin-Hardenne to Kim Clijsters .
- Wimbledon : Men: Roger Federer to Mark Philippoussis . Women: Serena Williams to Venus Williams .
- US Open : Men: Andy Roddick to Juan Carlos Ferrero . Women: Justine Henin-Hardenne to Kim Clijsters .
- Masters : Champions Roger Federer (men) and Kim Clijsters (women).
- Davis Cup : Australia , champion.
- Federation Cup : France , champion.
- World Cup : Chile is proclaimed world tennis champion thanks to the team made up of Marcelo Ríos , Nicolás Massú and Fernando González in Düsseldorf , Germany .
- Augusta Masters : Mike Weir , champion.
- US Golf Open : Jim Furyk , champion.
- British Golf Open : Ben Curtis , champion.
- PGA Championship : Shaun Micheel , champion.
- PGA Golf Grand Slam : Jim Furyk , champion.
- Formula 1 : Michael Schumacher obtains his sixth title ofFormula 1 world champion. Fernando Alonso obtains in the Hungarian GP the first victory of a Spaniard in Formula 1, becoming the youngest driver to win a Grand Prix, and in get a pole position in the Malaysian GP.
- NASCAR : Matt Kenseth , Winston Cup Series champion with 1 win.
- World Rally Championship : Petter Solberg , champion.
- Paris-Dakar Rally : Hiroshi Masuoka , champion.
- Motorcycle World Championship :
- Paris-Dakar Rally : Richard Sainct , champion.
- Tour de France : Lance Armstrong wins his fifthconsecutive Tour de France . (These 5 and the other two that he won, are taken away by the anti-doping tests that came out positive.).
- Tour of Spain : September 26 : Roberto Heras is proclaimed winner of the 59th edition of the Tour of Spain for the second time.
- Giro de Italia : Gilberto Simoni , Italian, ganador.
- Cycling World Championship : Igor Astarloa (Spain), champion.
- Chilean Central Rugby Championship : Universidad Católica champion.
- Rugby World Cup : England champion (first team champion of the northern hemisphere).
- Championship URBA : SIC Champion.
- Coastal Tournament: GER Champion.
- National Rodeo Championship : Sebastián Walker and Camilo Padilla win the 2003 National Rodeo Championship title .
- January 9: Monster by Patty Jenkins .
- January 29: The Mystery of Gionostra by Manuel Pradal .
- 17 de enero: Kitchen stories de Bent Hamer .
- February 7: The great adventure of Mortadelo and Filemón by Javier Fesser .
- March 5: Astronauts of Santi Amodeo .
- March 14: Agent Cody Banks from Frankie Muniz and Hilary Duff .
- March 16 : The Great Piglet Movie by Francis Glebas
- March 14: Willard of Glen Morgan .
- March 21: Utopia by María Ripoll .
- 31 de marzo: Mixels (2003): The Movie .
- April 4: Japan of Carlos Reygadas .
- April 4: A dream for her from Dennie Gordon .
- May 2: Salinui Chueok ( Memories of Murder ) by Bong Joon-ho.
- May 9: Down with the love of Peyton Reed .
- 15 de mayo: The Matrix Reloaded de Andy Wachowski y Larry Wachowski.
- May 30: Finding Nemo by Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich .
- May 30: Km. 666 by Rob Schmidt .
- 9 de junio: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl de Gore Verbinski.
- June 13: Two sisters of Kim Jee-Woon .
- June 18: High tension of Alexandre Aja .
- June 26: Live tried by Tomás Yankelevich .
- July 2: Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas by Patrick Gilmore and Tim Johnson .
- July 25: Seabiscuit of Gary Ross .
- August 1: American pie What a wedding! by Jesse Dylan .
- August 8: SWAT SWAT from Clark Johnson .
- 15 de agosto: A good lawyer's wife de Im Sang-soo.
- August 23: The Curse 2 of Takashi Shimizu .
- 6 de septiembre: Zatōichi de Takeshi Kitano .
- September 12: American splendor by Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini .
- September 19: Spring, summer, fall, winter ... and spring by Kim Ki-duk .
- September 19: Underworld from Len Wiseman .
- September 25: Japanese Story by Sue Brooks .
- September 26: The Human Stain of Robert Benton .
- September 26: Under the Tuscan Sun by Audrey Wells .
- October 3: Against the clock of Carl Franklin .
- October 3: School of Rock of Richard Linklater .
- October 3: Lost in Translation by Sofia Coppola .
- October 10: Kill Bill Vol. 1 by Quentin Tarantino .
- October 17: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre of Marcus Nispel .
- October 24: Final Destination 2 by David R. Ellis .
- 24 de octubre: Catherine goes to the city of Paolo Virzì .
- October 24: Mystic River by Clint Eastwood .
- October 24: Scary Movie 3 by David Zucker .
- November 1: Brother Bear by Aaron Blaise and Bob Walker .
- November 5: Bad milk for Patrick Alessandrin .
- 5 de noviembre: The Matrix Revolutions de Andy Wachowski y Larry Wachowski.
- November 14: Master and commander of Peter Weir .
- November 21 : 21 grams of Alejandro González Iñárritu .
- November 21: Oldboy by Park Chan-wook .
- November 26: The Haunted Mansion of Rob Minkoff .
- December 1: Saraband by Ingmar Bergman .
- December 5: The last samurai of Edward Zwick .
- December 5: Peter Pan by PJ Hogan .
- December 12: When You Least Expect It ... by Nancy Meyers .
- December 17: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King by Peter Jackson (world premiere).
- December 19: El Cid: The Legend of Josep Pozo .
- December 19: The smile of Mona Lisa by Mike Newell .
- December 19: The girls of Nigel Cole's calendar .
- December 25: Cold Mountain by Anthony Minghella .
- December 25: Big Fish by Tim Burton .
All dates belong to the official premieres of their countries of origin, unless otherwise indicated.
- Physics : Aleksey Alekséyevich Abrikósov , Vitaly L. Ginzburg , Anthony J. Leggett
- Chemistry : Peter Agre , Roderick MacKinnon
- Medicina : Paul Christian Lauterbur , Sir Peter Mansfield
- Literatura: John Maxwell Coetzee
- Paz: Shirin Ebadi
- Economía: Robert F. Engle, Clive W. J. Granger
- Arts : Miquel Barceló . [ 10 ]
- Social Sciences : Jürgen Habermas . [ 10 ]
- Communication and Humanities : Ryszard Kapuscinski and Gustavo Gutiérrez Merino . [ 10 ]
- Concordia: Joanne Kathleen Rowling.
- International Cooperation : Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva . [ 10 ]
- Sports : Tour de France . [ 10 ]
- Scientific and Technical Research : Jane Goodall . [ 10 ]
- Lyrics : Fátima Mernissi and Susan Sontag . [ 10 ]
- Foundation in RSSSF. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- "Met Office: 2003 Monthly weather summary" . Archived from the original on February 20, 2003.
- "Deputies approved the nullity of due obedience and full stop" , article of August 13, 2003 published in the newspaper Clarín (Buenos Aires). In favor of the repeal of the amnesty laws, only the Peronist deputies (who made up the parliamentary majority) voted: all the right-wing parties ( radicals ―since the law had been promoted by radical president Raúl Alfonsín - menemistas voted against , cavallistas , ucedeístas , Ricardo López Murphy and the genocidal Ricardo Bussi ) and Luis Zamora ( Trotskyism ).
- Resolution 1500 (2003) Archived 2016-01-27 at the Wayback Machine .. United Nations Security Council , August 14, 2003. URL accessed on January 22, 2016.
- "Two Hamas attacks cause 15 deaths in Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv" . The Aragón Newspaper . September 9, 2003.
- News in CNN The fire extends towards the border in the Mexican state of Baja California , where two deaths are registered.
- "Violent tornado in Córdoba", Page / 12 , December 27, 2003.
- "Steam Client Release" (in English) .
- «Bird of good omen» . Archived from the original on February 7, 2016.
- "WINNERS WITH THE PRINCE OF ASTURIAS PRIZES 2003" . Prince of Asturias Foundation . Retrieved September 21, 2009 .
- "The Cervantes rewards the poetry of the dark love of the Chilean Gonzalo Rojas" . The country. December 10, 2003 . Retrieved August 13, 2009 .