2008 - Alijos confiscados 1996/2008
|Years||2005 2006 2007 ← 2008 → 2009 2010 2011|
|Decades||1970s 1980s 1990s ← 2000s → 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Centuries||XX century ← XXI century → XXII century|
|Annual table of the 21st century|
|News per month|
- The Year of the Rat, according to the Chinese horoscope .
- The International Year of the Potato , according to FAO . [ 1 ]
- The International Year of Planet Earth according to the UN . [ 2 ]
- The International Year of Languages according to the UN . [ 3 ]
- The International Year of Sanitation according to the UN . [ 4 ]
- The European Year of Intercultural Dialogue , according to the European Union . [ 5 ]
- The Year of Citizen Power , according to the Government of Nicaragua . [ 6 ]
- The Year of the World Summits , according to the Government of Peru . [ 7 ]
- The Rodoreda Year , according to the Institution of Catalan Letters . [ 8 ]
- The Year of the Father of the Nation Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla , according to the Government of the State of Mexico . [ 9 ]
- May 2 : 200th anniversary of the May 2 Uprising .
- May 25 : 200th anniversary of the declaration of sovereignty by the General Board of the Principality of Asturias in the Spanish War of Independence . [ 10 ]
- 18 to the 19 July : 200th anniversary of the Battle of Bailen .
- January 1 : in Venezuela the bolívar fuerte (Bs.F.) is introduced as the new legal tender .
- January 1: the Greek-Cypriot part of the island of Cyprus , the British bases of Akrotiri and Dhekelia established on that island and Malta adopt the euro as their official currency. [ 11 ]
- January 1: Slovenia , a member of the European Union since 2004 , assumes, for the first time in its history, the six-month presidency of the Council of the European Union . [ 12 ]
- January 1: in Chile the Llaima volcano erupts. [ 13 ]
- January 4 : the Dakar rally is canceled for the first time in its history for fear of being the victim of an attack as it passes through Mauritania . [ 14 ]
- January 10 : Liberation by the FARC of two hostages, Clara Rojas and Consuelo González de Perdomo . [ 15 ]
- January 14 : in Guatemala , Álvaro Colom assumes the presidency .
- January 17 : British Airways Flight 38 suffers an emergency landing, without casualties, shortly before the runway at London-Heathrow airport ( United Kingdom ). [ 16 ]
- January 21 : the biggest fall of the Ibex 35 has been registered so far with a loss of 7.54%, falling to 12,625 points. [ 17 ]
- January 23 : Thousands of Palestinians cross the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt fleeing the Israeli blockade in the so-called Gaza Crisis . [ 18 ]
- January 24 : the largest rise in the Ibex 35 to date is recorded, with a rise of 6.95%, advancing to 13,106.7 points. [ 19 ]
- January 24: Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi loses the vote of confidence in a rowdy session of the Senate and resigns before the head of state . [ 20 ]
- January 28 : the Holy Year of San Julián begins , in the Diocese of Cuenca ( Spain ), on the 8th centenary of the saint's death. [ 21 ]
- January 29 : Asteroid 2007 TU24 passes a little less than 550,000 kilometers from Earth . [ 22 ]
- January 31 : in Istanbul ( Turkey ) at least twenty people die and 117 are injured in the explosion registered in a building that housed an illegal fireworks factory . [ 23 ]
- February 1 : The Phineas and Ferb animated series premiered worldwide .
- February 3 : The New York Giants are proclaimed NFL champions by defeating the New England Patriots 17-14 in Glendale , Arizona
- February 4 : the movement Colombia soy Yo summons millions of people in a worldwide march against the FARC and for the freedom of those kidnapped in Colombia . [ 24 ]
- February 4: Iran opens its first space center and launches a rocket into space.
- February 5 : on the American Super Tuesday of 2008 there is a virtual tie between the Democratic candidates , Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama , [ 25 ] while John McCain prevails among the Republicans . [ 26 ]
- February 13 : In Australia , Prime Minister Kevin Rudd makes a formal apology to the country's Aboriginal descendants, due to the systematic abduction of Aboriginal children carried out by the Australian Government between 1869 and 1976 . Since 1998 , every May 16 is celebrated the National Day of Forgiveness .
- February 17 : Kosovo unilaterally declares its independence from Serbia with Western support. [ 27 ]
- February 18 : general elections in Pakistan . [ 28 ]
- February 19 : President Cuban Fidel Castro in a message published by the official newspaper Granma , waiving the charge , for health reasons, after forty-nine years in power. [ 29 ]
- February 20 : the Spanish city of Barcelona is linked to the high-speed rail network ( AVE ). [ 30 ]
- February 21 : Total lunar eclipse from 3:01 to 3:51 ( UTC ). [ 31 ]
- February 21: the American spy satellite USA 193 is shot down by the United States Navy . [ 32 ]
- February 21: Flight 518 of the Venezuelan company Santa Bárbara Airlines , which covered the route between Mérida and Caracas , crashes in the Andes mountain range, killing the forty-six people on board. [ 33 ]
- February 24 : the Cuban Parliament elects Raúl Castro , as president of Cuba , replacing Fidel Castro . [ 34 ]
- February 24: 2008 Fedecámaras attack in the early hours of the morning against the headquarters of the Fedecámaras employers' union in Caracas , Venezuela . Despite causing great damage, the only death that occurred was that of the perpetrator. [ 35 ] [ 36 ]
- February 26 : Official opening of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault , the world's largest seed store . [ 37 ]
- March 1 : A diplomatic crisis breaks out in Colombia with Ecuador and Venezuela after the death of Raúl Reyes , a member of the FARC , in Ecuadorian territory. [ 38 ]
- March 1: Chita Oblast and the autonomous district of Aga Buryatia merge to form the Krai of Zabaikalie .
- March 2 : presidential elections in Russia , in which Dmitry Medvedev is the winner . [ 39 ]
- March 6 : International march against paramilitarism in Colombia and other countries. [ 40 ]
- March 7 : ETA assassinates Isaías Carrasco , a former PSE-EE councilor in the Mondragón town hall , at 42 years of age. The electoral campaign is suspended . [ 41 ]
- March 7: The XX Summit of the Rio Group of Heads of State and Government of Latin America is held in Santo Domingo ( Dominican Republic ) . [ 42 ]
- March 9 : general elections in Spain , [ 43 ] in which the PSOE is the winner . [ 44 ]
- March 9: regional elections in Andalusia ( Spain ), [ 45 ] winning them, by absolute majority, the PSOE . [ 46 ]
- March 11 : In Argentina , President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner announces a new mobile withholding plan applied to soybeans and corn , which causes a strike in the agricultural sector that will last 100 days. [ 47 ]
- March 14 : Hugo Chávez founds the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) to replace the Fifth Republic Movement (MVR).
- March 16 : The Peace Without Borders concert is held on the Colombian- Venezuelan border . [ 48 ]
- March 25 : in Cuba , President Raúl Castro begins the opening , repeals some prohibitions, such as access to hotels and the sale of mobile phone lines. [ 49 ]
- March 26 : Pedro Antonio Marín , better known as Manuel Marulanda alias Tirofijo, a Colombian guerrilla, commander and founder of the FARC guerrilla, dies .
- March 31 : the Pontifical Yearbook of the Holy See indicates that the number of Muslims is greater than the number of Catholics . [ 50 ]
- April 3 : In Chile , the then Minister of Education of Chile , Yasna Provoste , is dismissed from her post after the Chilean Chamber of Deputies approved a constitutional accusation against her as a result of the Subsidies Case . [ 51 ]
- April 15 : the regional meeting of the World Economic Forum for Latin America begins in Cancun , Mexico . [ 52 ]
- April 19 : in Ecuador 13 people are burned to death and 45 injured after the Factory nightclub fire in Quito .
- April 20 : National elections in Paraguay , [ 53 ] in which Fernando Armindo Lugo Méndez is elected as president. [ 54 ]
- April 21 : in Virginia (United States), the American neo-Nazi politician Kevin Strom (51) is sentenced to 23 months in prison for possession of child pornography.
- April 25 : in Texas ( United States ), the Krishna leader Prakashanand Saraswati is arrested for child abuse in the 1980s and 1990s.
- May 2 : the volcano Chile Chaitén enters eruption , after which the inhabitants of the communes of Chaitén and Futaleufú must be evacuated. [ 55 ]
- May 4 : The State Peace and Development Council of Burma said that five states in the delta of the Irrawaddy River are a disaster area after the cyclone Nargis left at least 351 dead on. [ 56 ]
- May 7 : the new president of Russia , Dmitry Medvedev , takes office for a period of 4 years. [ 57 ]
- May 11 : in Vatican City , Pope Benedict XVI definitively approves the Statutes of the Neocatechumenal Way . On June 13 he will deliver them to the initiators of this Catholic group, Kiko Argüello , Carmen Hernández and the priest Mario Pezzi .
- May 11: Mister Universe pageant takes place in Las Vegas
- May 12 : Demolition works begin on the National Stadium of Costa Rica (1924), the former National Stadium of Costa Rica, to make way for the National Stadium of Costa Rica (2011) .
- May 12: Cyclone Nargis, as it passed through the southern coasts of Myanmar (formerly Burma), in seven days, left 32,000 dead and more than 30,000 missing. [ 58 ]
- May 12: in the province of Sichuan ( China ), an earthquake occurs with more than 12,000 confirmed deaths the next day. [ 59 ]
- May 12: in Venezuela , President Hugo Chávez signs the nationalization of the Sidor company and creates the Venezuelan Steel Corporation. [ 60 ]
- May 14 : ETA kills the civil guard Juan Manuel Piñuel and wounds four more agents in the bombing , truck bomb against the barracks of Legutiano , Álava . [ 61 ]
- May 16 : the Fifth Latin America and the Caribbean - European Union Summit is held in Peru . [ 62 ]
- May 16: Presidential elections are held in the Dominican Republic . [ 63 ]
- May 21 : Manchester United win their third UEFA Champions League by defeating Chelsea 6-5 on penalties in the final .
- May 23 : the constituent treaty of the Union of South American Nations , Unasur, a political and economic community made up of the twelve South American countries , is signed in Brasilia . [ 64 ]
- May 25 : the American probe Phoenix lands on Mars . [ 65 ]
- May 29 : In a plane crash in Panama , the general director of the Carabineros de Chile , José Alejandro Bernales , dies , along with his wife and entourage. [ 66 ]
- May 29: David Garrett breaks the Guinness record for the fastest violinist in the world by performing The Flight of the Bumblebee , by Nikolai Rimski-Kórsakov .
- May 30 : Flight 390 of the Salvadoran company TACA leaves the runway, landing at Toncontin International Airport , killing five people, including the president of the Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI), Harry Brautigam . [ 67 ]
- June 14 : the Zaragoza International Exposition is inaugurated , whose main theme was water and sustainable development . [ 68 ]
- June 20 : the tragedy of the New's Divine nightclub occurred in Mexico .
- June 28 : the Year of Saint Paul begins , summoned in 2007 by Pope Benedict XVI . [ 69 ]
- June 29 : Spain wins the final and is proclaimed champion of the soccer Eurocup .
- June 30 : After 30 years, the rock group Toto breaks up due to the absence of the original members. Subsequently, they would be reformed on February 26 , 2010
- July 2 : The rescue operation Jaque , carried out by the Colombian Military Forces , manages to free the former presidential candidate Íngrid Betancourt and 14 other people who were kidnapped by the FARC . [ 70 ]
- July 2: in Rio de Janeiro , the Liga de Quito becomes champion of the Copa Libertadores for the first time , by beating Fluminense on penalties .
- July 14 : Miss Universe pageant in Vietnam where the Venezuelan model , Dayana Mendoza , is also chosen as the winner of the Miss Venezuela 2007 pageant . [ 71 ]
- 15 on July 20 : celebrated the XXIII World Youth Day in Sydney ( Australia ). [ 72 ]
- July 21 : In Belgrade ( Serbia ) the former president of the Serbian Republic of Bosnia , Radovan Karadžić , a fugitive for 12 years and accused by international justice of crimes against humanity, is arrested .
- August 1 : solar eclipse in the Asian continent . [ 73 ]
- August 1: In Switzerland , the first beams of particles are injected into the large hadron collider LHC . [ 74 ]
- August 1: Coronation ceremony of Siaosi Tupou V King of Tonga . [ 75 ]
- August 7 : War begins in South Ossetia 2008 .
- August 8 : The Beijing 2008 Summer Games open .
- August 15 : Fernando Lugo takes office as president in Paraguay . [ 76 ]
- August 16 : in the Dominican Republic , Leonel Fernández assumes the presidency for the third and last time.
- August 16: partial lunar eclipse , visible in Spain , from 20:35 to 23:44 ( UTC ).
- August 18 : Professional Basketball Club LLC acquires the Seattle SuperSonics franchise to later transform it into the Oklahoma City Thunder . [ 77 ]
- August 19: Lady Gaga's first album The Fame is released .
- August 20 : Flight 5022 of the Spanish company Spanair crashes shortly after taking off, killing 154 people. [ 78 ]
- August 23 : Madonna's famous " Sticky and Sweet tour " begins
- August 24 : Flight 6895 of the Kyrgyz company Itek-Air crashes while trying to land, killing 69 people. [ 79 ]
- August 24: Eight mountaineers are killed in an avalanche on Monte Blanco ( French Alps ) and several more are injured. [ 80 ]
- August 24: the 2008 Beijing Olympics ends in China .
- August 25 : President of Honduras , Manuel Zelaya Rosales , firm adherence to the Bolivarian Alternative for Latin America and the Caribbean (ALBA), ratified by the National Congress of Honduras on October 10 , 2008. [ 81 ]
- August 26 to September 1 : Hurricane Gustav passes through Louisiana with category 2 and kills seven people in the United States , after having passed through western Cuba with Category 4 and having killed 66 people in Haiti , 8 in the Republic Dominican Republic and 11 in Jamaica . [ 82 ] [ 83 ]
- August 26 : after the second war with Georgia , Russia was the first country to officially recognize the independence of South Ossetia as well as that of Abkhazia .
- August 28 to September 7 : The Hurricane Hanna kills 7 people in the United States and 529 in Haiti , mostly due to floods and landslides . [ 84 ]
- August 29 : traffic accident on route 11-CH, near the Chilean town of Putre, involving a bus carrying a group of students from the Cumbres de Santiago school, resulting in nine deaths and more than twenty injuries.
- August 30 : a massive march is held in Mexico City , called Illumine Mexico , for an awareness of the high levels of insecurity that affect the country. [ 85 ] In other cities of the country, numerous marches were also held for the same purpose. [ 86 ]
- September 5 and 6 : legislative elections in Angola . [ 87 ]
- September 6: at the least eight boulders emerge from a cliff near Cairo , Egypt , killing 90 people less and burying a 500. [ 88 ]
- September 10 : In Switzerland, the LHC particle accelerator began to function successfully after circulating a beam of one billion protons through the accelerator in just over 50 minutes . [ 89 ]
- On September 11, the Porvenir massacre took place near the city of Cobija , capital of the Department of Pando ( Bolivia ), which resulted in 18 peasant deaths and nearly 30 disappeared. These events were carried out as part of the civil coup against the democratically elected president of Bolivia Evo Morales Aima .
- 12 September : Ambassador United States in Venezuela is expelled under orders from President Hugo Chavez .
- September 14 : bankruptcy of the US investment bank Lehman Brothers , with the largest liability in history: 550,000 million dollars. It affects about one hundred thousand financial institutions and unleashes panic at the threat of a global financial crash . The European Central Bank and the US Federal Reserve injected liquidity into the markets to contain the stock market declines and the Bank of America cushioned the chaos with the purchase of the investment bank Merrill Lynch for 50,000 million dollars.
- September 14 : Flight 821 of the Russian company Aeroflot crashes near the city of Perm , Russia , killing 88 people. [ 90 ]
- September 14: the Ecuadorian channel Gamavisión disappears . Immediately, a new public service communication medium, Gama TV , enters a trial period .
- September 15 : in the city of Morelia (Mexico), during the celebration of the 198th anniversary of the Grito de Dolores , a terrorist act perpetrated by drug traffickers leaves 8 dead and 101 injured. [ 91 ]
- September 15: in the Sierra Barrancos de Guadalupe (Mexico), due to weather conditions , a Cessna 421 from the CILA (International Boundary and Water Commission) crashes . As a result, the commissioners of Mexico and the United States die on a routine flight. [ 92 ]
- September 16 : The alarm goes off in China over the adulteration of baby milk . [ 93 ]
- September 19 : the largest percentage increase in the IBEX 35 took place , since its creation on January 14 , 1992 , with an increase of 8.71%. [ 94 ]
- September 20 : in Khimki ( Russia ) the Arena Khimki stadium is inaugurated .
- September 21 : legislative elections in Slovenia . [ 95 ]
- September 22 : the Colombian army confirms the death of Aicardo de Jesús Agudelo Rodríguez, alias El Paisa, leader of the 34th front of the FARC . [ 96 ]
- September 28 : Faced with the threat of bankruptcy of the Fortis group, the largest Belgian banking and insurance entity, the Benelux countries ( Belgium , the Netherlands and Luxembourg ) choose to nationalize it through a contribution of 11.2 billion euros (49% of its capital).
- September 28: the new Constitution of Ecuador is approved with 63.93% of the vote . [ 97 ]
- 1 October : in Japan , Matsushita Electric Ltd. renamed Panasonic .
- October 3 : The US House of Representatives approves the rescue plan proposed by the Bush Administration aimed at fighting the economic recession. It consists of an investment of 700,000 million dollars by the Department of the Treasury to clean the balance sheets of the bank of the "toxic" assets contaminated by subprime mortgages .
- October 5 and 26 : municipal elections in Brazil .
- October 7 : At 02:46 UTC it hits the 2008 TC 3 meteoroid in northern Sudan . [ 98 ]
- October 14 : federal elections in Canada . [ 99 ]
- October 26 : holding municipal elections in Chile .
- October 29 : launch of the first Venezuelan satellite, the VENESAT-1 Satellite (Simón Bolívar) , launched from China
- November 4 : Presidential elections in the United States , in which the Democratic politician Barack Obama , the first African-American president in the country's history , is elected . [ 100 ]
- November 4: general and municipal elections in Puerto Rico . Luis Fortuño defeats Aníbal Acevedo Vila by over 224,000 votes.
- November 4: an air accident occurs in Mexico City , when a Learjet 45 with registration XC-VMC crashes moments before its landing, killing thirteen people at the scene of the accident, including the Secretary of the Interior Juan Camilo Mouriño and three more in the hospital. [ 101 ]
- November 9 : municipal elections in Nicaragua , with the FSLN winning at least 101 mayoralties. [ 102 ]
- 20 to the 23 November : XX Summit of Leaders of APEC in Peru . [ 103 ]
- November 20: in Colombia , the Nevado del Hila volcano erupts .
- November 23: regional elections in Venezuela . <fer> "Chávez maintains the majority but suffers a clear defeat in Caracas . " Public . Archived from the original on December 13, 2009. </ref>
- November 26 : Ten terrorist attacks take place in the Indian city of Bombay, causing at least 125 deaths and more than 300 injuries. [ 104 ] [ 105 ]
- December 1 : the Moon , Venus , and Jupiter are visible together in the sky , with the naked eye, forming a strange astronomical phenomenon, which will be repeated in 44 years. [ 106 ]
- December 3 : ETA shot dead businessman Ignacio Uría in Azpeitia , Guipúzcoa . [ 107 ]
- December 3: the political party Unión Minera de Villanueva del Río y Minas is founded
- December 5 and 6 : the Telethon collected 442 million pesos.
- December 10 : The biggest financial scam in history is discovered: Bernard Madoff , former president of the Nasdaq technology market on Wall Street, has swindled about 37.5 billion euros through a hedge fund .
- December 14 : at a press conference in Baghdad ((Iraq), an Iraqi journalist throws his shoes against the president of the United States George W. Bush .
- December 16 : Cuba officially joins the Rio Group . [ 108 ]
- December 21 : Manchester United wins the Club World Cup by defeating the Quito League 1-0
- December 27 : Israel begins a massive bombardment against civilians in the Gaza Strip ( Operation Cast Lead ), causing hundreds of deaths and injuries. [ 109 ]
- December 31 : ETA places a bomb in Bilbao , at the EITB headquarters . [ 110 ] [ 111 ]
- April 10 : Isabella García , Colombian actress.
- April 16 : Eleanor of Belgium , second child and fourth descendant of King Philippe of Belgium , Queen Matilde of Belgium and granddaughter of Albert II of Belgium and Paola of Belgium .
- June 5 : Fiorela Duranda , Argentine actress.
- June 29 : Aristides Stavros of Greece , fifth son of the Hereditary Princes of Greece , Paul and Marie-Chantal of Greece .
- July 4 : Princess Rayet Al Noor bint Al Hashim , second daughter of Prince Hashim bin Al Hussein and his wife Princess Fahdah Hashim .
- July 15 : Iain Armitage , American actor.
- September 18 : Jackson Robert Scott , American actor.
- September 29 : Emma Tallulah Behn , third daughter of Princess Marta Luisa of Norway and the writer Ari Behn .
Art and literature
- June 24 : at the Palacio de Bellas Artes in Mexico City , homage is paid to the poet Alí Chumacero . [ 112 ]
- Carlos Ruiz Zafón : The Angel's Game ( April 17 ). [ 113 ]
- Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams : Depths , second installment of the Tunnels saga ( May 22 ).
- Stephenie Meyer : Breaking Dawn , fourth installment of the Twilight saga ( August 2 ).
- Novela: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao de Junot Díaz.
- Poesía: Time and Materials de Robert Hass y Failure de Philip Schultz.
- Winner : Francisco Casavella for What I know about vampires . [ 116 ]
- Winner : The Good Luck Sisterhood of Fernando Savater .
Science and Technology
- January 11 : The advanced KDE 4 desktop is released . [ 122 ]
- January 23 : the discovery of the galaxy A1689-zD1 , the furthest discovered to date, is announced. [ 123 ]
- February 19 : Toshiba announces the end of manufacturing and distribution of the HD DVD television format . In this way, the so-called "Format War" wins the Blu-ray led by Sony and Philips . [ 124 ]
- June 17 : Release of version 3.0 , known as Gran Paradiso , of the Internet browser Firefox . [ 125 ]
- July 7 to 19 : The 49th International Mathematical Olympiad takes place in Madrid , Spain . [ 126 ]
- July 11 : iPhone 3G launched in 20 countries. [ 127 ]
- July 17 to 20 : Party Quijote 2008 is held in Albacete ( Spain ). [ 128 ]
- July 23 : in the province of Soria the analog blackout takes place , two years earlier than in the rest of Spain. [ 129 ]
- October 29 : China launches the Simón Bolívar satellite , the first Venezuelan satellite . [ 130 ]
- January 31 : The video game Super Smash Bros. Brawl is launched in Japan . In other countries it goes on the market at later dates. [ 131 ]
- February 12 Latest video game released for the Game Boy Advance Samurai Deeper Kyo handheld console .
- April 10 : Mario Kart Wii is released exclusively for the Wii console. This installment becomes the best-selling of the series and was the debut of the Wii Wheel accessory for the Wii console.
- April 29 : Global launch of Grand Theft Auto IV with the premiere of its new graphics engine, Rage . [ 132 ]
- June 12 : Worldwide launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots , marking a return to the Metal Gear series. [ 133 ]
- June 19 : Mario Super Sluggers for Wii is released in Japan . In other countries it goes on the market at later dates.
- August 14 : The original Xbox console ends its useful life with the latest video game Madden NFL 09 .
- September 4 : launch in Australia of Spore , in other countries it goes on the market at a later date. [ 134 ]
- September 23 : Lego Batman: The Video Game is released for PlayStation 2, Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS, PSP and PC.
- October 7 : Worldwide release (Except Japan ) of Crash Mind Over Mutant , the latest game for PlayStation 2 in the Crash Bandicoot series , to an extremely mixed and negative reception.
- October 14 : The PlayStation Portable 3000 , a new version of the classic PSP, is released in the United States .
- October 21 : Launch of the game for Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
- October 28 : release in the US of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 in other countries comes to the market at a later date. [ 135 ]
- October 28 : Fallout 3 launch in the United States, in other countries it goes on the market at a later date. [ 136 ]
- November 1 : Nintendo launches the Nintendo DSi , a mini portable video game console that incorporates a camera.
- November 7 : Global launch of Gears of War 2 . [ 137 ]
- November 18 : Sonic Unleashed launches for PlayStation 2 , Xbox 360 , PlayStation 3, and Wii . with the premiere of its new Hedgehog graphics engine.
- Konami publishes Dance Dance Revolution X for PlayStation 2 and, belatedly, the arcade on Widescreen .
|[[:: Cinema in 1999 | ◄]]||[[:: Movies in 2000 | 2000]] • [[:: Movies in 2001 | 2001]] • [[:: Movies in 2002 | 2002]] • [[:: Movies in 2003 | 2003]] • [[ :: Movies in 2004 | 2004]] • [[:: Movies in 2005 | 2005]] • [[:: Movies in 2006 | 2006]] • [[:: Movies in 2007 | 2007]] • [[:: Cinema in 2008 | 2008]] • [[:: Cinema in 2009 | 2009]]||[[:: Cinema in 2010 | ►]]|
Events related to cinema in 2008 .
This year was the exhibition of various film premieres in its programming, both in the short as well as medium and long term . Films made as sequels to previously started series abounded mainly , including:
- [[Rambo (film) | the fourth part of Rambo ]];
- the second installment of The Chronicles of Narnia ;
- the second film in the new Batman franchise ;
- the fourth installment of Indiana Jones ;
- the third episode of The Mummy ;
- the third adaptation about High School Musical ;
- the twenty-second James Bond movie ;
- April 30 : Iron Man (film) by Jon Favreau
The Great Recession [ 138 ] refers to the world economic crisis that began in 2008, which had its origin in the United States . Among the main factors attributed as causes of the crisis are failures in economic regulation, [ 139 ] the overvaluation of products, world food crisis , the rise in the price of oil due to the invasion of Iraq by the United States [ 140 ] and the threat of a recession around the world, as well as a credit-mortgage crisis and confidence in the markets .
Although the crisis is considered to have arisen in 2008, especially after the fall of the US bank Lehman Brothers , the first symptoms appeared in August 2007 with the bankruptcy of several minor investment banks causing the crisis that has been pointed out by many international specialists such as the "Crisis of the developed countries", since its consequences are observed mainly in the richest countries of the world. With the collapse of US investment banks due to the subprime mortgage crisis , which accounted for a high percentage of their investment, stock markets and stock markets crashed and sparked the 2008 financial crisis around the world.Subsequently, because governments had to carry out numerous financial bailouts to save financial and non-financial companies from a probable bankruptcy, the crisis also turned into debt crises in different countries, especially in the eurozone . Due to the large amount of money allocated to financial bailouts and the sharp generalized fall in income in tax collection, some governments carried out economic austerity programs that implied strong social cuts, causing social protests and an increase in generalized poverty in great quantity of countries of the world. [ 141 ]
- February 14 and 15 : the opera for the instruments The Tree of the Birds by the Ecuadorian composer Arturo Rodas opens in Cuenca-Ecuador .
- 20 on February 25 : the celebrated XLIX edition of the International Festival of the Song of Vine of the Sea . [ 142 ]
- THE April 2 , guitarist Timo Tolkki announced in a statement the final separation of Stratovarius and reveals the reasons for this dissolution and the problems that arose in recent years. On May 9 the "remaining members of Stratovarius" reveal Timo Tolkki's true reasons for disbanding the group, and on May 29 Timo Tolkki ceded the rights of Stratovarius to his former colleagues.
- April 24 : final return of the Spanish group Ska-P . [ 143 ]
- On Wednesday April 30 , the singer Lisa Middelhauve leaves Xandria for personal reasons and due to a bad relationship with the rest of the group. On June 6 they edit a compilation called "Now & Forever - Best Of Xandria" that includes her best known songs as well as two bonus tracks and an unreleased song.
- May 6 : American singer Cher returns to show business after 3 years of artistic retirement. [ 144 ]
- May 16 : La Oreja de Van Gogh announces that Leire Martínez is the new vocalist of the group, replacing Amaia Montero .
- May 24 : celebration of the 53rd edition of the Eurovision Song Contest in Belgrade ( Serbia ), in which Dima Bilán was the winner , representing Russia , with the song Believe . [ 145 ]
- On June 19, Timo Tolkki, after leaving the band he led: Stratovarius , formed a new band called Revolution Renaissance and released his first album a few days after its creation.
- June : Lil Wayne launches his album Tha Carter III , which sold over a million copies in its first week, beating the previous record of sales in a week made by Graduation by Kanye West in 2007. Tha Carter III was the album best-selling 2008 in the United States, and it is the second time in history that a rap album is the best-selling album, before Eminem had done it with his album The Eminem Show .
- August 14 : the most important Latin American pop group in recent times, RBD announces its separation and begins its Goodbye Tour in Spain that would lead them to end again there, in Madrid , on December 21 after touring Latin American countries and Eastern Europe before thousands of fans who still refused the news, RBD finished their last studio album, entitled To forget about me .
- August and September : The Dominican bachata duo Monchy & Alexandra disintegrates .
- November 10 : they meet for the first time, after four and a half years of their separation ( 2004 ), in the living room of Susana Giménez, the successful Argentine pop group Bandana . [ 146 ]
- November 29 and 30 : Madonna's presentation at the Foro Sol in Mexico City . [ 147 ]
- October 9 : Panamanian Margarita Henríquez won the third edition of the Sony Entertainment Television's " Latin American Idol " continental singing contest held in Argentina . [ 148 ]
- She is so charged wins the award for Best New Pop Artist Album at the Carlos Gardel Awards for her eponymous production .
- November 9 : The bassist of the Deftones band , Chi Cheng suffers a traffic accident leaving him in a coma .
- World Chess Championship : Vladimir Krámnik against Viswanathan Anand , between October 14 and November 2 in Bonn ( Germany ).
- Corus Chess Tournament : Winners: Magnus Carlsen and Levon Aronian.
- Ciudad de Linares International Chess Tournament : Winner: Viswanathan Anand , from February 14 to March 8 .
- Melody Amber Chess Tournament : Winner: Levon Aronian , from the 15 to the 27 March in Monaco .
- M-tel chess tournament : Winner: Vasili Ivanchuk , in Sofia , Bulgaria , from May 6 to 18 .
- Chess Grand Slam Final : September .
- Chess Olympics : November , Germany .
- May 31 : the Jamaican Usain Bolt sets new world record in the 100 meters at the Grand Prix of New York , with a mark of 9.72 " . [ 151 ]
- August 16 : Usain Bolt again breaks the world record for the 100 meters in the men's final of the Beijing Olympics , with a time of 9.69 seconds. [ 152 ]
- August 20 : Usain Bolt breaks the world record in the 200m with a mark of 19.3 'at the Beijing Olympics . [ 153 ]
- August 22 : Jamaica sets the world record in the 4 x 100m with a mark of 37.10 ', with a team of Usain Bolt , Nesta Crater , Michael Frater and Asafa Powell , at the Beijing Olympics . [ 154 ]
- World Athletics Championships Indoor : from the 7 to the 9 March in Valencia . [ 155 ]
- November 11 : the Super Aguri team withdraws from the Formula 1 championship , after eighteen races, due to financial problems. [ 156 ]
- June 8 : the Formula 1 driver Robert Kubica , by winning the Canadian Grand Prix , becomes the first Polish winner in that motorsport category. [ 157 ]
- September 14 : German Sebastian Vettel , on winning the Italian Grand Prix , becomes the youngest winner Formula 1 driver [ 158 ]
- November 2 : the British Lewis Hamilton becomes the youngest Formula 1 champion by finishing fifth in the Brazilian Grand Prix . [ 159 ]
- December 5 : the Honda team leaves Formula 1 due to the economic crisis . [ 160 ]
- Formula 1 : from March 16 to November 2 .
- World Rally Championship : from January 24 to November 30 . Winner: Sébastien Loeb ( Citroën C4 WRC ).
- Dakar Rally : canceled. [ 161 ]
- Euroleague : from May 2 to 4 in Madrid .
- NBA: Boston Celtics.
- Copa ULEB :
- ACB League : until June 6 .
- King's Basketball Cup : from February 7 to 10 .
- Dominican Basketball League : the Constituents of San Cristóbal are proclaimed champions by defeating the Reales de La Vega 4-2.
- National Basketball League (Argentina) :
- National Professional Basketball League of Mexico : Halcones UV Xalapa
- European Cup : Ciudad Real Handball Club . [ 165 ]
- Recope de Balonmano : MKB Veszprém . [ 166 ]
- Copa EHF : HSG Nordhorn-Lingen . [ 167 ]
- ASOBAL League : Ciudad Real Handball Club . [ 168 ]
- United States : Philadelphia Phillies
- Mexico :
- Panama : Los Santos .
- Puerto Rico :
- Dominican Republic :
- Tour de France : from the 5 to the 27 July . Carlos Sastre . [ 170 ]
- Cycling Tour of Spain : from August 30 to September 21 . Alberto Contador . [ 171 ]
- Tour of Italy : from May 10 to June 1 . Alberto Contador . [ 172 ]
- World Road Cycling Championships : from the 24 to the 28 September in Italy . Alessandro Ballan
- UCI Track Cycling World Championships : from the 27 to the 30 March in Manchester ( UK ). UK
- Liège-Bastogne-Liège : April 27 . Alejandro Valverde .
- Paris-Roubaix : April 13 . Tom Boonen .
- Paris-Tours : October 12 . Philippe Gilbert .
- Tour of Lombardy : October 18 . Damiano Cunego .
- Milan-San Remo : March 22 . Fabian Cancellara .
- Volta a Catalunya : from May 19 to 25 . Gustavo César Veloso .
- Flanders Tour : April 6 . Stijn Devolder .
- Tour of the Basque Country : from April 7 to 12 . Alberto Contador .
- Plouay Grand Prix : August 25 . Pierrick Fédrigo
- Paris-Nice : from March 9 to 16 . Davide Rebellin .
- Ghent-Wevelgem : 9 April . Oscar Freire .
- Walloon Arrow : April 23 . Kim churches .
- Dauphiné Libéré : from June 8 to 15 . Alejandro Valverde .
- Tour of Romandie : from April 29 to May 5 . Andreas Klöden .
- Amstel Gold Race : 20th April . Damiano Cunego .
- Tirreno-Adriatico : from March 12 to 18 . Fabian Cancellara .
- January 1 : in Spain, the Real Murcia Club de Fútbol football team , celebrates 100 years of institutional life. The centenary is celebrated throughout the year without having a specific day as a celebration. [ 173 ]
- March 12 : in Colombia , returned after 19 years of absence the dispute of the Colombia Cup . [ 174 ]
- April 1 : in Argentina the Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro soccer team celebrates 100 years of institutional life. [ 175 ]
- April 8 : in Bolivia the soccer team The Strongest , the Achumani tiger , one of the most popular clubs in the country, celebrates 100 years of institutional life. [ 176 ]
- June 5 : in Chile , and after eight years of recess, the classic tournament between clubs " Copa Chile " returns , in which First (except D. Concepción ), Second , and (for the first time in the history of this championship) Third teams participate. division , plus three communal teams. The prize for the champion is a large sum of money. See also: Chile Cup 2008 .
- November 25 : the suspension of the Peruvian Football Federation by FIFA is confirmed due to a conflict between the federative president Manuel Burga and the national government. [ 177 ]
Championships by teams
- Eurocup : from June 7 to 29 in Austria and Switzerland . Spain was proclaimed champion by defeating in the final Germany 1-0. [ 178 ]
- OFC Nations Cup : New Zealand clinched their fourth title and their passage to the playoffs with an AFC team to reach the 2010 Soccer World Cup .
- U-20 Women's Soccer World Cup : from November 19 to December 7 in Chile . The United States became champion after defeating North Korea 2-1 in the final. [ 179 ]
- U-17 Soccer Women's World Cup : October 28 to November 16 in New Zealand . North Korea beats in the final United States 2-1 and is proclaimed champion of the first edition of the tournament. [ 180 ]
- UEFA European Under-17 Championship : from the 4 to the 16 May in Germany . Spain wins by a landslide, 4-0, a France and is proclaimed champion. [ 181 ]
- Champions League : May 21 , at the Luzhniki Olympic Stadium in Moscow , the English team Manchester United got their third cup by beating Chelsea , also from England, on penalties . [ 182 ]
- UEFA Cup : on May 14 , at the City of Manchester Stadium , the Russian team Zenit Saint Petersburg won its first cup beating Scotsman in the final Glasgow Rangers.
- Copa Libertadores : Played on June 25 and July 2 at the Casa Blanca stadium and at the Maracanã stadium , the Liga de Quito , by winning the penalty shootout at Fluminense . [ 184 ]
- South American Cup : on December 3 the Internacional became champion by beating Students with the aggregate score of 2-1, giving Brazil its first title in this tournament. [ 185 ]
- O-League 2008 : Waitakere United claim their second international title.
- Club World Cup : Manchester United got their first crown by beating the Quito League , 1-0
- Spain :
- England :
- Mexico :
- Golden Boot : Cristiano Ronaldo . [ 203 ]
- FIFA World Player : Cristiano Ronaldo
- African Footballer of the Year : Mohamed Aboutrika
- South American Footballer of the Year : Juan Sebastian Verón
- FIFA Futsal World Championship 2008 : Brazil . It is consecrated after defeating in the final Spain , in definition by penalties .
- 2008 FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup : From the July 17 on July 27 in France . At the Stade du Prado in Marseille , the final is played, where Brazil wins by 5: 3 marker a Italy , and is crowned as champion. [ 204 ] In the match for third place, Portugal won 5: 4 a Spain . [ 205 ]
- US Open : From the 12 to the 15 June in La Jolla ( California ). Tiger Woods.
- Augusta Masters : From the 10 to the 13 April . Trevor Immelman.
- British Open : from the 17 to the 20 July in Lancashire . Patrick Harrington . [ 209 ]
- PGA Championship : in the 7 to the 10 August at Oakland Hills ( Michigan ). Patrick Harrington . [ 210 ]
- MotoGP : from March 9 to October 26.Valentino Rossi
- 250cc : from March 9 to October 26 .M.Simoncelli
- 125cc : from March 9 to October 26, M. Di Meglio
- Dakar Rally : canceled. [ 161 ]
- Six Nations Tournament : it was played from February 2 to March 15 , resulting in the winner Wales also getting the Grand Slam . [ 211 ]
- Tournament of the Three Nations : it was played from July 5 to September 13 , triumphing the selection of New Zealand .
- Open Australia : of the 14 to the 27 January . Novak Djokovic ( hombres ) y María Sharápova ( women ).
- Roland Garros : from May 25 to June 8 . Rafael Nadal ( men ) and Ana Ivanović ( women ).
- Wimbledon : from the 23 June to the 6 July . Rafael Nadal ( men ) and Venus Williams ( women ).
- Beijing Olympics 2008 : of the 10 to the 17 August . Rafael Nadal ( men ) and Elena Dementieva ( women ).
- US Open : August 25 to September 7 . Roger Federer ( men ) and Serena Williams ( women ).
- WTA Tour Championships : from the 4 to the 9 November . Venus Williams.
- Tennis Masters Cup : of the 9 on 16 November . Novak Djokovic .
- Davis Cup : from the 21 to the 23 November . Spain ( David Ferrer , Marcel Granollers , Feliciano López , Rafael Nadal , Nicolás Almagro , Tommy Robredo and Fernando Verdasco ).
- Federation Cup : September 13 and 14 . Rusia ( Svetlana Kuznetsova , Yekaterina Makárova , Yelena Vesniná y Vera Zvonariova ).
- Professional wrestling :
- Paddle : From August 23 to 30, the IX Paddle World Championship was held in Calgary , Canada . [ 213 ]
- Polo : from April 21 to May 3, the 2008 Polo World Championship was held . The first place went to Chile , the second for Brazil and the third for Mexico . [ 214 ]
- Water polo : From July 3 to 13, the XII European Women's Water Polo Championship and the XXVIII European Men's Water Polo Championship were held in Malaga , Spain . The final result in ladies was Russia won by a score of 9-8 a Spain , at the Malaga Aquatic Center ; and in men, Montenegro won by a score of 6-5 a Serbia.
- Between September 6 and 17, 2008, the XIII Paralympic Games were held in Beijing .
- Fisica : Yoichiro Nambu , Makoto Kobayashi Y Toshihide Maskawa . [ 216 ]
- Chemistry : Osamu Shimomura , Martin Chalfie and Roger Y. Tsien . [ 216 ]
- Medicina : Harald zur Hausen , Françoise Barré-Sinoussi and Luc Montagnier . [ 216 ]
- Literature : Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio . [ 216 ]
- Paz : Martti Ahtisaari . [ 216 ]
- Economics : Paul Krugman . [ 216 ]
- Arts : National System of Youth and Children's Orchestras of Venezuela . [ 217 ]
- Social Sciences : Tzvetan Todorov . [ 217 ]
- Communication and Humanities : Google . [ 217 ]
- Concordia : Íngrid Betancourt . [ 217 ]
- International Cooperation : Organizations that lead the fight against malaria in Africa ( Centro de Investigação em Saúde de Manhiça , Ifakara Health Institute , The Malaria Research and Training Center and Kintampo Health Research Center ). [ 217 ]
- Sports : Rafael Nadal . [ 217 ]
- Scientific and Technical Research : Sumio Iijima , Shūji Nakamura , Robert Langer , George M. Whitesides and Tobin Marks . [ 217 ]
- Letras: Margaret Atwood.
Commemorations and parties
- 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights [ 218 ]
- 60th Anniversary of Operations Peacekeeping United Nations [ 219 ]
- "Year of the Potato" . Archived from the original on September 21, 2007.
- "Declaration of the International Year of Planet Earth" . Archived from the original on July 11, 2009.
- "Declaration of the International Year of Languages" . Archived from the original on July 11, 2009.
- "Declaration of the International Year of Sanitation" . Archived from the original on July 11, 2009.
- "European Year of Intercultural Dialogue" .
- «Year of the citizen power» . Archived from the original on January 6, 2008.
- "Peru begins today the Year of the World Summits . " Andean . Archived from the original on March 9, 2008 . Retrieved March 3, 2008 .
- «Presentation of the Rodoreda Year 1908-2008» (in Catalan) .
- Chamber of Deputies of Mexico. "Press release of the Legislative Power . " Archived from the original on July 22, 2011.
- Iker Cortés. "Sovereign principality . " The Trade . Retrieved February 13, 2009 . «On May 25, 1808, Asturias rose up against Napoleon. The General Board approved a declaration of war against the French, created an army and flew the regional flag for the first time. '
- "Cyprus and Malta are already part of the euro zone" . Public . Archived from the original on February 4, 2008.
- «Slovenia, first ex-communist country to assume the presidency of the European Union» . The Truth . January 2, 2008.
- "Ninth Region: Llaima Volcano erupts" . The Mercury .
- "The Dakar rally is suspended due to threats from Al Qaeda" . Public . Archived from the original on March 9, 2008.
- "Chávez announces that the FARC have already handed over the hostages . " Public . Archived from the original on April 24, 2008.
- "Heathrow collapses after an emergency landing" . Public . Archived from the original on January 22, 2008.
- «The Ibex 35 loses 7.5% and registers the biggest drop in its history» . The world . January 21 , 2008 . Retrieved January 21, 2008 .
- "More than 350,000 Palestinians cross the Egyptian border in search of help" . Public . Archived from the original on March 3, 2008.
- "The Ibex soars with the highest rise in its history" . Public . January 24 , 2008. Archived from the original on January 26, 2008 . Retrieved January 24, 2008 .
- "Prodi resigns after losing the support of the Senate" . Public . Archived from the original on June 21, 2008.
- presentation for the Jubilee Year of Saint Julian Archived October 13, 2011 at the Wayback Machine .
- "Asteroid passes close to Earth" . The Trade .
- "At least 20 dead and 117 injured by the collapse of a building in Istanbul" . February 1, 2008.
- «Between 10 and 15 million people in the world marched against the FARC» . Public . Archived from the original on June 21, 2008.
- "Clinton can't get rid of Obama" . Public . Archived from the original on February 10, 2008.
- "McCain already sings victory" . Public . Archived from the original on February 10, 2008.
- "Independence of Kosovo" . The Country . February 17, 2008.
- "Pakistan general elections postponed . " Terra . Archived from the original on January 13, 2008.
- "Fidel Castro will not preside over Cuba" . Public . Archived from the original on February 21, 2008.
- «The first AVE between Barcelona and Madrid arrive several minutes in advance» . Public . Archived from the original on December 13, 2009.