|23rd Mixed Brigade|
|Active||October 1936-January 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Alberto Calderon Martinez|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 23rd Mixed Brigade was a unit of the People's Army of the Republic created during the Spanish Civil War . Throughout the war it was deployed on the fronts of Madrid, Aragon, the Ebro and Catalonia.
The unit was founded in October 1936, in Cartagena , from the "Triana", "Milicias de Cartagena" and "Fernando Condés" battalions. Command of the unit fell to Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Eloy Camino Perales , while Infantry Commander Antonio Sicilia Serrano took over as Chief of Staff. Rafael Recatero Vilches, of the JSU , was appointed political commissioner. [ 1 ]
At the beginning of January 1937 the brigade was sent to the Madrid front, to the San Martín de la Vega sector , prepared to participate in a planned offensive. It got to take part in Batalla del Jarama , integrated in Division «C» ; [ 2 ] Between February 19 and 22, he carried out several unsuccessful assaults against the position of "El Pingarrón." In June the 23rd BM was assigned to the 16th Division of the III Army Corps , [ 3 ] at the Madrid front. It remained parked in this sector for the following months. In the spring of 1938, when the Francoist offensive took placeon the Aragon Front, the brigade was sent as reinforcement. After reaching Gandesa , he moved to Fraga , where he entered combat with the enemy forces. He had to retreat to the rear, concentrating on Sarroca de Segre . In May 1938 he participated in the Balaguer offensive . [ 4 ]
In July 1938, it grouped four battalions - 89th, 90th, 91st and 92nd. [ 5 ] On July 27, after the beginning of the Battle of the Ebro , he crossed the river and advanced through the Sierra de la Fatarella, to reinforce the republican pressure on Villalba de los Arcos . Later the unit would be withdrawn to the opposite bank of the Ebro to be reorganized. On 7 November he took part in a diversionary attack against the "Scorpion" vertex, at the Serós bridgehead . [ 4 ]
During the Campaign of Catalonia it had a little relevant role, having to withdraw towards the French border.
- Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Eloy Camino Perales ;
- Infantry Commander Antonio Sicilia Serrano ;
- Infantry Commander Alberto Calderón Martínez ; [ 6 ]
- Mayor of the militias Sánchez de la Mata; [ 6 ]
- Carabineros Commander Ricardo Gómez García ;
- Alpert, Michael (2013). The Republican Army in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939. Cambridge University Press.
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Cabrera Castillo , Francisco (2002). From the Ebro to Gandesa. The battle of the Ebro, July-November 1938 . Battlement.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Salas Larrazábal , Ramón (2000). History of the People's Army of the Republic . The Sphere of Books. ISBN 84-9734-465-0 .
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.