29th Division (People's Army of the Republic) - 29.ª División (Ejército Popular de la República)
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 29th Division was a military formation belonging to the People's Army of the Republic that fought during the Spanish Civil War . Originally created in 1937 from the militarization of the POUM column , it would be dissolved and recreated again at the beginning of 1938, operating on the Extremadura front.
The division was created in April 1937, on the Aragon front, after the militarization of the former militia of the Marxist Unification Workers Party (POUM) - the so-called "Lenin" division . [ 1 ] [ 2 ] The unit, which was under the command of Major José Rovira , was composed of the mixed brigades 128th and 129th , from ancient columns. [ 1 ] [ 3 ] In mid-June, in the context of government repression against the POUM, Rovira was arrested by the republican authorities.[ 4 ] The command of the unit would be assumed by the militia majorMiguel García Vivancos. [ 5 ] [ n. 1 ] The 29th Division came to participate in theHuesca offensive, [ 7 ] although it had a mediocre performance. In August the division would end up being dissolved and reorganized, [ 8 ] distributing its former members among other units.
In February 1938 the 29th Division was recreated, under the command of the infantry commander Antonio Rúbert de la Iglesia . [ 9 ] The division was integrated into the VII Army Corps , on the Extremadura front. [ 10 ] During the month of July it intervened in the fighting in the Merida Stock Exchange , from which it would emerge bankrupt. As a consequence, it had to be subjected to a profound reorganization. As of August, it was incorporated into the VI Army Corps . [ 11 ]
- Major of Militias José Rovira Canales (since April 1937);
- Major of the militias Miguel García Vivancos (since July 1937);
- infantry commander Antonio Rúbert de la Iglesia (since February 1938); [ 9 ]
- militia major Antonio de Blas García ; [ n. 2 ]
- Lieutenant Colonel Fernando Monasterio Bustos [ 13 ] (since April 1938);
- Infantry Commander José Cirac Laiglesia (since November 1938)
- Joaquín Vila Claramunt , of the PSUC (since February 1938); [ 14 ]
- Benigno Alonso de Dios , from the PCE (since August 1938); [ 15 ]
- Froilán Nanclares Cocho (since March 1939)
- Chiefs of Staff
- infantry captain Enrique Trigo Bru (since February 1938);
- Infantry Commander Luis Recuenco Gómez (since April 1938);
Order of battle
|Date||Attached Army Corps||Integrated Mixed Brigades||Battle front|
|May 1937||X Army [ 16 ]||128.ª y 129.ª||Aragon|
|February 1938||VII Army Corps||62.ª , 109.ª y 46.ª||Estremadura|
|March 1938||VII Army Corps||46.ª , 109.ª y 104.ª||Estremadura|
|April 30, 1938||VII Army Corps||46.ª , 109.ª y 210.ª||Estremadura|
|July 1938||VII Army Corps||25.ª , 46.ª y 109.ª||Estremadura|
|July 18, 1938||VII Army Corps||25.ª y 109.ª||Estremadura|
|August 1938||VI Army Corps||46.ª , 109.ª y 44.ª||Estremadura|
|October 23, 1938||VI Army Corps||46.ª , 148.ª y 192.ª||Estremadura|
|November 1938||VI Army Corps||46.ª , 109.ª y 194.ª||Estremadura|
- Casanova, 1985, p. 114.
- Thomas, 1976, p. 594.
- Maldonado, 2007, p. 170.
- Thomas, 1976, p. 759.
- M. Lorenzo, 1972, p. 248.
- Maldonado, 2007, p. 240.
- Maldonado, 2007, p. 180.
- Casanova, 1985, p. 248.
- Alpert, 1989, p. 385.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , p. 167.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , p. 249.
- Engel, 1999.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , p. 296.
- Álvarez, 1989, p. 180.
- Álvarez, 1989, p. 188.
- Maldonado, 2007, p. 171.
- Alpert , Michael (1989). The republican army in the civil war . Siglo XXI Editores.
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Casanova , Julián (1985). Anarchism and revolution in Aragonese rural society, 1936-1938 . Siglo XXI Editores.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Maldonado , José M.ª (2007). The front of Aragon. The Civil War in Aragon (1936-1938) . Look Editors. ISBN 978-84-8465-237-3 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: San Martín.
- M. Lorenzo , César (1972). The Spanish Anarchists and power 1868-1969 . Iberian Wheel.
- Thomas , Hugh (1976). History of the Spanish Civil War . Barcelona: Circle of Readers. ISBN 9788497598323 .