2nd Guards Regiment on foot - 2. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß
2nd Guards Regiment on foot
Fahne des I. Battalions
|active||June 20, 1813 to February 1919|
|State||Kingdom of Prussia|
|Armed forces||Prussian Army|
|Branch of service||Infantry|
|Origin of the soldiers||whole monarchy|
With AKO on May 14, 1811, the formation of the normal infantry battalion was ordered. Each of the infantry regiments had three non-commissioned officers and 42 men, the guard five non-commissioned officers and 36 men, and the grenadier battalions one non-commissioned officer each. The list was completed by June 1, 1811. The battalion was attached to the foot guard regiment . During the wars of liberation it still fought near Großgörschen and Bautzen .
AKO on June 20, 1813 founded the 2nd Guards Regiment on foot at the headquarters in Neudorf near Reichenbach in Silesia. It was composed of the normal infantry battalion, the 1st battalion of the Colberg infantry regiment and the fusilier battalion of the 8th Leib infantry regiment .
The garrison company formed for the regiment came to the Guard Garrison Battalion in 1816. In 1820 the regiment was again assigned a company as a garrison company from this battalion. This came in 1837 as the 2nd company to the combined guard reserve battalion and was disbanded with this in 1848. In 1859 some officers and men were handed over to the establishment of the 2nd Guards Landwehr Trunk Regiment (later 4th Guards Regiment on foot ).
Wars of Liberation
In 1813 the regiment fought at Taschendorf and the fusiliers at Ober-Graub also at Wachau and in the Battle of the Nations near Leipzig . In the following year, together with the other units of the Guard Brigades, 24 guns were captured in the Battle of Paris .
In 1815 it took part in the March to France.
March Revolution 1848
It was involved in the street fighting in Berlin.
German War 1866
The regiment became part of the II. Army of Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia . In the battle near Thrush (June 28), the 1st Company captured two 8-pounder guns from Battery No. 10 of the 3rd Regiment. On June 29th it fought at the Königinhof and on July 3rd in the Battle of Königgrätz . The fusilier regiment defended Rosberitz. The regiment lost 10 officers and 183 men in this battle. The 3rd Company's rifle platoon under Second Lieutenant Chorus captured six 4-pounders of the 4th battery of the 3rd regiment, another three guns of the 7th battery captured the captain Kropff and the staff of the fusilier battalion. The 7th Company also captured a gun, as did the 8th Company.
The regiment lost 17 officers and 353 men in the campaign.
The newly established IV. Battalion came to the 2nd Reserve Army Corps in Bavaria.
Colonel von Pape , Major von Erckert and Second Lieutenant Chorus received the order Pour le Mérite.
Franco-German War 1870/71
The regiment fought in the Battle of Gravelotte-St. Private . 39 officers and 1,067 men were killed in the attack. Subsequently, on September 1st, they fought at Sedan . On September 5, it took part in the shelling of Montmédy. From September 19, 1870 to January 28, 1871, it fought in the siege of Paris and took part in the following skirmishes:
- 26. September Rantigmy (9. Kompanie)
- 27. September Clermont (Füsiliere)
- October 9 Gifors (5th Company)
- 12. Oktober Breteuil (3./4. Kompanie, II. Battalion)
- October 17 Montdidier (3rd Company)
- October 28 Formerie (1st / 2nd / 8th Company)
- December 21, Le Bourget (2nd Battalion and Fusiliers)
First World War
In 1915 it took part in the winter battle in Champagne with the 3rd Army and was then relocated to the east. There it fought at Gorlice-Tarnów , Krasnostaw and Biskupice . After the battles on the Bug and the Jasiolda, it was moved back to the western front and took part in the autumn battle at La Bassée and Arras .
In the summer of 1916 it fought in the Battle of the Somme and in the following spring of 1917 in the double battle of Aisne and Champagne . It took part in fighting in the Argonne before it was relocated to the Eastern Front. There it was used in the breakthrough battle in Eastern Galicia and in the Battle of Riga . After the armistice on the Eastern Front, it was moved back to the Western Front.
The regiment took part in the spring offensive from April 1918 and fought in the battle between Soissons and Reims . After the order to retreat behind the Aisne , it fought in the Battle of Vouziers and had to retreat to the Meuse until the armistice , on November 12, 1918 it rallied at Vaux-les-Rossiers.
After the Compiègne armistice , the regiment returned to Berlin via Luxembourg and Koblenz, where it arrived on December 12th. On December 14, 1918, the regiment entered Berlin via the Tiergarten and through the Brandenburg Gate. At the armory it made one last march past the commanding general . The regiment was then demobilized and disbanded in February 1919. Various free formations were formed from parts , including the volunteer regiment "Rosen". This went on with the formation of the Provisional Reichswehr in the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 30. 
The tradition in the Reichswehr was adopted by the 11th Company of the 9th (Prussian) Infantry Regiment in Spandau on August 24, 1921, by decree of the Chief of Army Command, General der Infanterie Hans von Seeckt .
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Wilhelm von Müffling called white||June 19, 1813 to December 11, 1815|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Konstantin von Quadt-Wykradt-Hüchtenbruck||December 12, 1815 to March 29, 1832|
|Oberst||Otto von Zieten||March 30, 1832 to June 19, 1837|
|Major||Johann Carl von Möllendorff||July 12, 1837 to January 13, 1838 (in charge of the tour)|
|Major/Oberstleutnant/Oberst||Johann Carl von Möllendorff||January 14, 1838 to October 16, 1844|
|Oberst||Karl von Schlieffen||October 24, 1844 to August 2, 1848|
|Oberst||Karl von Kropff||August 3, 1848 to December 3, 1849|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Ferdinand von Kleist||December 4, 1849 to May 9, 1855|
|Oberst||Friedrich Herwarth von Bittenfeld||May 10, 1855 to November 11, 1857|
|Oberst||Maximilian von Schlegel||November 12, 1857 to June 13, 1859|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Georg Ferdinand von Bentheim||June 14, 1859 to December 16, 1863|
|Oberst||Alexander von Pape||December 17, 1863 to October 29, 1866|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Rudolf von Kanitz||October 30, 1866 to June 19, 1871|
|Lieutenant colonel||August of Oppell||June 20, 1871 to January 17, 1872 (in charge of the tour)|
|Oberst||August of Oppell||January 18, 1872 to July 13, 1877|
|Oberst||Friedrich von Wissmann||July 14, 1877 to May 14, 1883|
|Oberst||Karl Finck von Finckenstein||15. May 1883 to 2. August 1887|
|Oberst||Alfred von Collas||September 6, 1887 to June 18, 1888|
|Lieutenant colonel||Ernst von Petersdorff||June 19 to August 3, 1888 (in charge of the tour)|
|Oberst||Ernst von Petersdorff||August 4, 1888 to November 17, 1890|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Egon from Gayl||November 18, 1890 to September 16, 1892|
|Lieutenant colonel||Ferdinand von Hartmann||September 17, 1892 to January 26, 1893 (in charge of the tour)|
|Oberst||Ferdinand von Hartmann||January 27, 1893 to September 11, 1896|
|Lieutenant colonel||Günther von Kirchbach||September 12, 1896 to January 26, 1897 (in charge of the tour)|
|Oberst||Günther von Kirchbach||January 27, 1897 to October 16, 1899|
|Lieutenant colonel||Kurt von Pritzelwitz||October 17, 1899 to April 27, 1900 (in charge of the tour)|
|Oberst||Hermann von Strantz||April 28, 1900 to January 26, 1903|
|Oberst||Wilhelm of Hohenzollern||January 27, 1903 to June 15, 1905|
|Lieutenant colonel||Otto von Stein zu Nordheim and Ostheim||June 16 to September 14, 1905 (in charge of the tour)|
|Oberst||Otto von Stein zu Nordheim and Ostheim||September 15, 1905 to January 26, 1910|
|Oberst||Roderich von Schoeler||January 27, 1910 to September 30, 1912|
|Oberst||Detlef von Rantzau||October 1, 1912 to September 6, 1914|
|Oberst||Otto von Estorff||September 7, 1914 to July 18, 1915|
|Lieutenant colonel||Maximilian von Muzio||July 19 to November 11, 1915|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Hans von Werder||November 12, 1915 to August 28, 1916|
|Lieutenant colonel||Hans von Lütcken||29. August 1916 to 16. May 1917|
|Major||Eberhard von dem Hagen||May 17 to November 7, 1917|
|Lieutenant colonel||Carl von Borcke||November 8, 1917 to June 17, 1918|
|Lieutenant colonel||Curt von Wittich||June 18 to December 13, 1918|
|Lieutenant colonel||Carl von Borcke||December 14, 1918 to February 19, 1919|
The uniforms had Ponceau red armpits, Swedish lapels and yellow buttons. The officers wore gold braid on each side of the collar and on the cuffs.
- Hans Paulus Herwarth von Bittenfeld : History of the royal Prussian 2nd guard regiment on foot. 1868, digitized digitized
- Georg Alt: The Royal Prussian Standing Army: A brief history of all its troops. Volume 1, p. 57ff.
- Albert Lüdinghausen: History of the Royal Prussian 2nd Guard Regiment on foot. Second revised and enlarged edition, Berlin 1892.
- Brief description of the history of the 2nd Guards Regiment on foot. 1813-1913. Prepared for the NCOs and men in close connection with that of Major Frhrn. Regimental history written by Lüdinghausen called Wolff, 4th increased edition, Verlag R. Eisenschmidt, Verlagbuchhandlung für Militärwissenschaft, Berlin 1913, (In four editions: Berlin 1883, 1897, 1905 and 1913).
- Gottfried Adolf von Brauchitsch : The 2nd Guard Regiment on foot. after d. official war diaries / edit. in the order d. Association d. Officers d. formerly 2nd Guard Reg. on foot, digitized
- Maximilian von Bock: Base list of the officer corps of the 2nd Guards Regiment on foot. June 19, 1813– May 15, 1913. Publisher R. Eisenschmidt, Berlin 1913.
- Friedrich von Rieben: The 2nd Guards Regiment on foot (= From Germany's great times. Formerly Prussian troops . Volume 71 ). Sporn, Zeulenroda (Thuringia) 1934 ( digitized version of the Württemberg State Library ).
- Master list of the Royal Prussian Army from the 16th century to 1840. P. 49.