2nd Hannoversches Uhlan Regiment No. 14
|active||1866 to 1919|
|Branch of service||cavalry|
|Location|| World (1873–1886) |
St. Avold (1886–1914)
|Former Commanders||See list|
The second Hannoversche Lancers Regiment. 14 was a cavalry joined the Prussian army . The Uhlan regiment was established in Münster in 1866 and took part in the Franco-German War . After their return, the regiment was garrisoned in Verden (Aller) from 1873 to 1886 and then in Lorraine until 1914 . After participating in World War I , the regiment was demobilized at the end of 1918 and dissolved in 1919.
Lineup and line of tradition
During the war minister Roon -driven army reform and proliferation in the wake of German unification wars and then the German Empire a number of cavalry regiments were reestablished. Between 1860 and 1866 the number of Prussian Uhlan regiments was doubled in two waves from 8 to 16, with AKO dated:
- May 7, 1860: Uhlan regiments No. 9 , 10 , 11 and 12
- September 27, 1866: Uhlan regiments No. 13 , 14, 15 and 16
After the German War of 1866, the defeated Kingdom of Hanover was annexed by Prussia. After the territorial enlargement new troops were in the newly acquired territories established, including the later (Hannoversches 1) No king Lancers. 13 and the subsequent second Hannoversches Lancers Regiment. 14 , the latter as the 14th Lancers on four squadrons . For this purpose, the existing Uhlan regiments No. 4 , 8 , 9 and 12 each gave up the fifth squadron. The garrison of staff and 1st to 3rd squadrons was Münster , the 4th squadron moved intoHamm Neighborhood. 
When the war against France began in 1870 , the regiment was mobilized on July 17, 1870 and placed under the 3rd Cavalry Division. On August 10, 1870, the regiment crossed the border at Überherrn as the advance guard of the division . From August to October the regiment took on outpost and security services while Metz was being enclosed. Fights against French irregulars in the Argonne followed , as well as participation in the battles of Hallue , Bapaume and Tertry Poeuilly . 
After the armistice of January 18, 1871 and the preliminary peace treaty of February 26, 1871, the regiment remained in France for more than two more years and served as part of the occupation army based in Lunéville, Lorraine . In the summer of 1873 the regiment returned to their Hanover homeland . 
Garrison time in Verden and Lorraine
In 1873 the regiment received a festive welcome in its new garrison Verden ,  and moved into the Holzmarkt barracks.  The timber market barracks (also cavalry barracks) was built in 1829, and has been since 1831 by the Hanoverian Cavalry Regiment " Duke of Cumberland used". After the transfer of the Uhlan Regiment No. 14, the 2nd Hanover Field Artillery Regiment No. 26 moved in here in 1887 . After the Second World War, the British Rhine Army used the building under the name of Gibraltar Barracks, and in 1959 the German Armed Forces took over. The military use ended in 1987, today there is an event center there, the German Horse Museum, the city hall, and the city library. 
In 1886 the regiment was relocated to Lorraine , which was annexed by the German Reich as a result of the division after the war of 1870/71 . There the regiment moved into a garrison in Saint-Avold , two squadrons in the modern mountain barracks and two squadrons in the less inexpensive Ketzerath barracks. The mountain barracks was used as a residential building after Lorraine's return to France, and was later demolished. The local branch of the IUT de Moselle-Est University of Applied Sciences is located there today . The Ketzerath barracks were demolished in 1956 to make way for the Lycée Poncelet .  The fifth squadron was initially in Falkenberg(today Faulquemont) and then from 1893 stationed in Mörchingen (today Morhange). [8th]
With AKO of January 24, 1899, the regiment was given the traditional line of the former Hanoverian Guard Cuirassier Regiment, the official date of foundation was December 10, 1805.
First World War
Shortly before the outbreak of the First World War , the regiment was mobilized on July 29, 1914 and on July 31, 1914 went to the border guard on the left wing of the German army. At the beginning of the war the regiment fought as part of the 34th Infantry Division .
The regiment retained its cavalry status during the World War and, unlike many other mounted units, was not converted into a cavalry rifle regiment .
In the summer of 1916, the regiment's squadrons were individually subordinated to infantry divisions and performed security and reconnaissance tasks on the Eastern Front :
- 1st squadron in the 199th Infantry Division
- 2nd squadron in the 195th Infantry Division
- 3rd Squadron in the 197th Infantry Division
- 4th Squadron in the 220th Infantry Division
The regiment suffered losses in the First World War totaling 120 war dead, including 19 officers. Of the 120 war dead 85 were in the regiment itself fallen , the remaining 35 losses occurred in Abkommandierungen or in training for the replacement squadron on.  Compared to German infantry regiments deployed at the front during World War I, these losses are moderate. On the other hand, the proportionate loss of officers, who were hardly to be found in the front line of the infantry, is high in comparison. In the Uhlan Regiment, however, many officer patrols were carried out for reconnaissance .
Dissolution and aftermath
In December 1918, the regiment's squadrons returned to Hanover one by one, as the type of garrison in Lorraine should no longer belong to the German Reich. When crossing the Rhine during the home march, the soldiers on the left bank of the Rhine were released. In Hanover, the remaining regiment was demobilized and disbanded.
The tradition took over in the Reichswehr by decree of the Chief of the Army Command General of the Infantry Hans von Seeckt from August 24th, 1921 the training squadron of the 13th (Prussian) Cavalry Regiment stationed in Hanover . In the Wehrmacht , the anti-tank department 19 continued the tradition. 
In 1928, the Union of the former 14th Uhlans, Hanover donated a war memorial for the members of the Uhlan Regiment No. 14, which was erected at Verden Cathedral . The bronze figure of the Uhlan was created by the sculptor Paul Wynand from Berlin. The memorial shows 120 names of those killed in the regiment. The monument was inaugurated on October 7, 1928. 
Subordination and structure
Peace structure from 1890 until the outbreak of the First World War:
- XVI. Army Corps based in Metz
- 34th Division based in Metz
- 34th Cavalry Brigade based in Metz, from 1912 in St. Avold
The Ulanka called tunic was made of dark blue cloth. The color of the badge (cuffs, collar, parade discounts, Tschapkarabatte, epaulette fields and passers-by) was red, on the shoulders of the Ulanka there were epaulettes with the regiment number 14. The boot pants were anthracite-colored. The buttons and fittings of the Tschapka were silver, the parade hair bush was white. Crews and NCOs wielded tubular steel lances with lance flags.
From 1899 on the Tschapka was affixed with the traditional decree under the silver heraldic eagle, the bandeau " Peninsula , Waterloo , García Hernández ", with which the battles of the forerunners of the Hanoverian Guard Cuirassier Regiment in the service of the English were remembered.
The AKO of February 14, 1907 ordered the introduction of the field-gray field service uniform (M 1910), which gradually replaced the colorful uniform from 1909/10. The leather gear and boots were leather-colored, the chapka was covered by a fabric cover called reed-colored.
Archduke Joseph Karl Ludwig of Austria held the honorary title of head of the regiment from 1897 until his death eight years later ,  then from 1906 Archduke Joseph August of Austria .  The appointment was made in both cases by Kaiser Wilhelm II.
|period of service||commander||Life dates||Rank for appointment and comments|
|1866–1873||Lüderitz, Otto von||1818–1885||Major, later lieutenant general|
|1873–1880||Wolffersdorff, Arthur von||1823–1897||Lieutenant Colonel, later Major General|
|1880–1883||Nebelthau, Jacob||1833–1895||Lieutenant Colonel, later Colonel|
|1883–1885||Massenbach , Adolph von||1836–1912||Lieutenant colonel|
|1885–1886||Reichlin von Meldegg, Albert||1838–1893||Lieutenant Colonel, later Major General|
|1886–1891||Bothe, Heinrich von||1840–1923||Major, later lieutenant general|
|1891–1896||Colmar, Conrad of||1843–1930||Lieutenant Colonel, later Major General|
|1896–1899||Merveldt , Clemens von||1845–1923||Major, later colonel|
|1899–1904||Rohr , Carl von||1840–1932||Major, later colonel|
|1904–1905||Oheimb, Erich von||1854–1927||Major, later lieutenant general. Lost both sons in World War I|
|1905–1906||Dehnicke, Eduard||1854–1936||Major, later colonel|
|1906–1908||Weinschenck, Paul||1858–1950||Major, later lieutenant general|
|1908–1911||Priess, Conrad||1860–1933||Lieutenant colonel|
|1911–1913||Fritsche, Eugen von||1861–1921||Lieutenant colonel|
|1913–1916||Veit, Georg||1863–1931||Lieutenant Colonel, later Major General|
|1916–1917||Stotzingen , Conrad von||1873–1933||Oberst|
|1917–1919||Sydow , Heinrich von||1867–1942||Oberst|
- Fritz von Mackowsky: History of the 2nd Hanoverian Uhlan Regiment No. 14th League of former 14 Uhlans, Bremen 1932. ( Scans at the historical seminar of the University of Hanover )
- Wilhelm Dietze: Former 2. Hannov. Ulanen-Regt No. 14. Kyffhäuser-Verlag, Berlin 1938. (Issue No. 343 of the series Die Tradition des Deutschen Heeres. Edited by Ernst von Eisenhart-Rothe and Walther Beckmann)
- Uhlan Regiment No. 14 at GenWiki
- Fallen list of the regiment in the genealogical project "Fallen memorials"
- Fritz von Mackowsky: History of the 2nd Hanoverian Uhlan Regiment No. 14. Bremen 1932, p. 12.
- Fritz von Mackowsky: History of the 2nd Hanoverian Uhlan Regiment No. 14. Bremen 1932, p. 13.
- Fritz von Mackowsky: History of the 2nd Hanoverian Uhlan Regiment No. 14. Bremen 1932, pp. 14-16.
- Fritz von Mackowsky: History of the 2nd Hanoverian Uhlan Regiment No. 14. Bremen 1932, p. 16.
- Cathedral Square on the website of the city of Verden (Aller)
- Otwin Skrotzki: World, Gibraltar Barracks of 17 June 2012.
- The Hamon and Mahon Barracks, in Saint-Avold at the time of the Barracks
- Fritz von Mackowsky: History of the 2nd Hanoverian Uhlan Regiment No. 14. Bremen 1932, pp. 18-19.
- figures from Fritz von Mackowsky: History of the 2nd Hanoverian Uhlan Regiment No. 14th Bund of former 14 Uhlans . Bremen 1932, p. 89 (losses in the war year 1914), p. 108 (1915), p. 155 (1916), p. 215 (1917), p. 277 (1918)
- Günter Wegmann (Hrsg.), Günter Wegner: Formationsgeschichte und Stellenbesetzung der deutschen Streitkräfte 1815–1990. Teil 1: Stellenbesetzung der deutschen Heere 1815–1939. Band 3: Die Stellenbesetzung der aktiven Regimenter, Bataillone und Abteilungen von der Stiftung bzw. Aufstellung bis zum 26. August 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1993, ISBN 3-7648-2413-1, S. 177.
- Bund ehem. 14er Ulanen (Hrsg.): Festschrift zur Weihe des Ehrenmals für die Gefallenen des 2. Hannoverschen Ulanen-Regiments Nr. 14 am 6. und 7. Oktober 1928 in Verden/Aller. / Hrsg. vom Tressau, Verden/Aller 1928.
- Ernennung zum Regimentschef am 15. September 1897
- Ernennung zum Regimentschef am 29. August 1906
- Fritz von Mackowsky: Geschichte des 2. hannoverschen Ulanen-Regiments Nr 14. Bremen 1932, S. 280.