2nd violin concerto (Penderecki) - 2. Violinkonzert (Penderecki)
Penderecki was inspired to create his second violin concerto by the violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter , with whom he collaborated in the 1988 Lucerne performance of Prokofiev's 1st violin concerto. With a break from 1992 to spring 1995 he worked on the new, approx. 38-minute piece. It was to be much brighter in shape and expression than his 1st Violin Concerto, which he wrote for Isaac Stern two decades earlier .
On 24 June 1995, it was the opening concert of the MDR Music Summer in Leipzig Gewandhaus by Anne-Sophie Mutter (soloist dedicated) and the MDR Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Mariss Jansons premiered . It was commissioned by the Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk . 
To the music
- Cheerful but not too much - Allegro lively
- Allegretto - Allegro vivo
- Much less moved - Andante
- Joking - Very lively
- Andante con moto - First time
- Anne-Sophie Mutter, Violinistin, London Symphony Orchestra, Krzysztof Penderecki, Dirigent; DG, 1997 (= Best Instrumental Soloist(s) Performance (with orchestra), Grammy Awards 1999).
- Kim Chee-Yun , violinist, National Symphony Orchestra of the Polish Radio , Antoni Wit , conductor; Naxos , 2003.
- Ju-Young Baek, Violinistin, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Grzegorz Nowak, Dirigent; RPO, 2013.
- Violin Concerto No. 2 “Metamorphoses” on the Three Composers website of the National Audiovisual Institute
- Jörg Clemen, Steffen Lieberwirth: Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk. The history of the symphony orchestra . Verlag Klaus-Jürgen Kamprad, Altenburg 1999, ISBN 3-930550-09-1 , p. 188.