The building Mainzer Strasse 28/30 (formerly Hotel Rolandseck Groyen ) is a hotel incurred building complex in Rolandswerth , a district of Remagen in Rhineland-Palatinate district of Ahrweiler , which was built in the 19th century. From 1955 to 1975 the former hotel building was the seat of the embassy of the Soviet Union in the Federal Republic of Germany.
The former hotel building is located on the west side of Bundesstraße 9 (Mainzer Straße, house numbers 28/30) above the left arm of the Rhine and below the railway line on the left bank of the Rhine . It is the southernmost building belonging to Rolandswerth on the B 9 and is located directly on the border to the district of Oberwinter , which is marked by the Rolandswerther Bach . The building can be assigned to the northern foothills of Rolandseck .
The origins of the hotel business lie in an inn ("Gasthof zum Rolandseck"), which is said to date back to the beginning of the 18th century and had a station for changing post horses . At that time it was the only or one of the few houses in the area of the road connection between Wittgen (Rolandswerth) and Oberwinter, on a Rheinstrom map by Wiebeking from 1798 it is recorded as "Quantius House". In 1810 Arnold Karl acquired Cornelius Groyen, who came from a hotelier family based in Königswinterof French origin, the Gasthof zum Rolandseck. His son and successor bought the neighboring property to the south in 1849 in order to expand the inn into a hotel.
In the course of the romanticism of the Rhine , Rolandseck had developed into a popular travel destination, and the Hotel Rolandseck-Groyen became one of the most prestigious businesses in the area. The most prominent guests included the emperors and kings Wilhelm I , Wilhelm II , Friedrich III. , Chancellor Bismarck as well as Karl Marx and Heinrich Heine . In 1920 the hotel was auctioned by the heirs of the last owner for 200,000 marks . As a result, there were frequent changes of ownership, with the hotel temporarily keeping farm animalswas repurposed. It was not until 1923 that the hotel developed again into a renowned business under the owner Hermann Hartmann.
During the Second World War , the building served military purposes: as accommodation for returning soldiers, as a hospital and as a surveying station. Towards the end of the war it housed the orthopedic clinic of the University of Cologne as substitute accommodation . The French High Commissioner then temporarily took over the building. In December 1955  which was directed Soviet Union after the recording of diplomatic relations with the Federal Republic of Germany in the former hotel building, the firm opened its new embassy on the seat of government in Bonna. There were temporarily (as of 1965) 41 diplomats and 60 other members of the embassy  . The location of the building in an unrepresentative location outside Bonn and its increasingly poor structural condition  prompted efforts to move the embassy. In February 1975 it was moved to the Viktorshöhe in the Bonn district of Schweinheim . The building then served as the accommodation of a furniture store before it was sold in 1983 and gradually converted into condominiums . The ground floor is used commercially.
“Malicious tongues put the placement of the Soviet embassy on the account of Mikhail Senin. Our first envoy on the Rhine had shown particular vigilance by choosing the most miserable from the miserable offers, because the building, which was placed like an island between the railroad and the road, was protected from illegal intrusion and eavesdropping. (...) The status of a spurned was by no means harmless. He prevented the embassy from fulfilling its function as a link to people who (...) did not always have the time and means to cover dozens of kilometers in both directions. "
The former hotel building is a two-part building complex that dates back to the middle of the 19th century and was expanded to the north at the end of the 19th century by a five-axis, pilaster-structured wing. It has been under monument protection as a cultural monument since 1981/1982 . 
- Hermann Josef Fuchs: Hotel Groyen in Rolandseck. From the noble hostel for illustrious guests to the Russian embassy . In: Ahrweiler district's homeland yearbook 2003
- Welt im Bild - Edition 182/1955 of December 21, 1955
- Time & Tide, Band 47, Time and Tide Publishing Company, 1966, S. 170.
- skyline , Der Spiegel , March 1, 1971
- Valentin Falin: Political Memories. Droemer Knaur, Munich 1993, ISBN 3-426-26657-1 , pp. 48/49.
- General Directorate for Cultural Heritage Rhineland-Palatinate (ed.): Informational directory of cultural monuments in the Ahrweiler district (PDF; 5.1 MB). Mainz 2016, p. 61.