38th Mixed Brigade (People's Army of the Republic) - 38.ª Brigada Mixta (Ejército Popular de la República)
|38th Mixed Brigade|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 38th Mixed Brigade was a unit of the Popular Army of the Republic that participated in the Spanish Civil War . Throughout the war it came to operate on the fronts of the Center, Aragon , Segre and Catalonia .
The unit, created on December 31, 1936, was formed on the basis of the forces of the "Perea" column and was initially called the "Z" mixed brigade. [ 1 ] [ 2 ] The head thereof fell on the cavalry captain Joaquin Zulueta Isasi . The unit was garrisoning the Pozuelo sector when on January 4, 1937, it had to face a Francoist offensive , having to retreat towards the Casa de Campo area - having to defend the bridge of the French-; During the fighting, the brigade leader, Zulueta, was wounded and had to be replaced by the infantry commander Antolín Serrano García (replaced at the end of the month by Major Mariano Tomás Lozano ). The 38th BM was assigned to the 5th Division , [ 3 ] failing to take part in relevant military operations. In June it became part of the 17th Division .
In March 1938, after the beginning of the Franco offensive on the Aragon front, the brigade was sent from the Center front to Caspe , [ 4 ] a town where it arrived on March 11; once there integrated into the 45th Division . [ 5 ] However, only two battalions managed to emerge from the subsequent fight against Franco's forces relatively intact. The remains of the 38th BM managed to pass north of the Ebro river, where they would be briefly added to the Ebro Autonomous Group . [ 6 ] [ 7 ]After the unit will be added to the 72nd Division , [ 8 ] [ 9 ] it is featured on the front of the Segre . At the beginning of the offensive in Catalonia, at the end of the year, the 38th BM - like the rest of the division - was seriously damaged by the enemy attack, being forced to withdraw. His remains would cross the French border through the Coll de Ares.
- Cavalry Captain Joaquín Zulueta Isasi ; [ 10 ]
- Infantry Commander Antolín Serrano García ;
- Militia Major Mariano Tomás Lozano ;
- Militia Major José Pellisó Martín ; [ 11 ]
- Militia Major Francisco Mari Morante ;
- Chiefs of Staff
- militia major, Isidoro Mari Morante ;
- Alcofar Nassaes , José Luis (1973). "Spansky." Foreigners who fought in the Spanish Civil War I . Madrid: Dopesa.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1975). Arrival at the sea . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- —— (1978). The Battle of the Ebro . Madrid: San Martín.
- -- (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Editorial San Martín.