|Active||April 13, 1937 - March 27, 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 39th Division was one of the divisions of the People's Army of the Republic that were organized during the Spanish Civil War on the basis of the Mixed Brigades . He participated in the battles of Teruel , Alfambra and Levante .
- Battle of Teruel
In December 1937, it was placed as a reserve for the Republican Army, [ 5 ] under the command of Major Francisco Alba Rebullido , [ 6 ] facing the battle of Teruel . On December 30 it was mobilized and sent to the front; its troops proceeded to relieve the 11th Division of Enrique Lister , [ 7 ] which until then had taken the bulk of operations at the siege of Teruel. The next day the forces of the 39th Division, together with the 40th and 25th DivisionsThey managed to stop a Francoist counterattack and reestablish the front. [ 8 ] During the following days, she remained prominent in the front, while the fenced Francoist garrison of Teruel surrendered.
On January 17, 1938, covering the "Celadas" sector, the forces of the 39th Division - especially the 22nd Mixed Brigade - received the bulk of the enemy attack, which caused heavy casualties in the unit. [ 9 ] However, the other two brigades of the 39th Division managed to thwart Franco's attempt to cut the road from Teruel to Alcañiz . [ 10 ]
As a result of these operations, the unit was very broken, so it performed poorly during the Battle of Alfambra .
- Levante campaign
After the battle of Teruel the division was placed in the rear, recovering from its losses. At the end of April the division had to withdraw before the attack of the Army Corps of Castile , avoiding being destroyed. On April 30, 1938, she was assigned to the XIX Army Corps , [ 1 ] already engaged in the middle of the Levant campaign . During the following weeks the unit performed well, maintaining its positions against Franco's assaults. She was congratulated by the republican authorities, being decorated with the medal of valor. [ 11 ] Subsequently, the 39th Division became integrated into the XVI Army Corps, arranged online. [ 12 ]
During the rest of the war it remained located on the Levant front, without taking part in relevant military operations.
- Infantry Colonel José Sánchez Ledesma ; [ n. 2 ]
- Lieutenant Colonel of the Civil Guard Francisco Galán ; [ 14 ]
- infantry commander Francisco Alba Rebullido ;
- Sebastián Zapirain Aguinaga , from the PCE ; [ 15 ]
- César Romero Sánchez-Herrera , from the PSOE ; [ 16 ]
- Major State Boss
Order of battle
|Date||Attached Army Corps||Integrated Mixed Brigades||Battle front|
|April 1937||—||22.ª , 64.ª y 81.ª||Teruel|
|December 1937||XIII Army Corps||22.ª , 64.ª y 96.ª||Teruel|
|August 1938||XVI Army Corps||64.ª , 96.ª y 129.ª||Levante|
- Engel, 1999 , p. 216.
- Zaragoza, 1983, p. 58.
- Maldonado, 2007, p. 172.
- Martínez Bande, 1973 , p. 25.
- Thomas, 1976, p. 848n.
- Corral, 2005, p. 44.
- Corral, 2005, p. 129.
- Corral, 2005, p. 148.
- Corral, 2005, pp. 199-200.
- Corral, 2005, p. 201.
- Pérez Gómez, 2005 , p. 82.
- Corral, 2005, p. 36.
- Romero, 1976, p. 208.
- Álvarez, 1989, pp. 180-389.
- Álvarez, 1989, pp. 188.
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Corral , Pedro (2005). If you want to write to me. The battle of Teruel . Pocket-size. ISBN 84-9793-626-4 .
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Maldonado , José M.ª (2007). The front of Aragon. The Civil War in Aragon (1936-1938) . Look Editors. ISBN 978-84-8465-237-3 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1973). The Great offensive on Zaragoza . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- Pérez Gómez , Javier (2005). The bullfighting brigade. History of the 96 Mixed Brigade of the Popular Army . Battlement.
- Romero , Luis (1976). The end of the war . Barcelona: Ed. Ariel.
- Salas Larrazábal , Ramón (2006). History of the People's Army of the Republic . The Sphere of Books. ISBN 84-9734-465-0 .
- Thomas , Hugh (1976). History of the Spanish Civil War . Barcelona: Circle of Readers. ISBN 84-226-0874-X .
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.