3rd Army (National People's Army) - 3. Armee (Nationale Volksarmee)
|Lineup||only in case of war|
|Armed forces||Warsaw Pact|
|Insinuation||High Command of the 1st Front ( GSSD )|
The 3rd Army was a military association of the National People's Army , which in the event of war would have been formed from the associations , troops and units of Military District III ( Leipzig ). It would have been under the command of the GSSD and NVA 1st Front and would have been deployed on the southern flank of the front .
- 4th Motorized Rifle Division (NVA)
- 11th Motorized Rifle Division (NVA)
- 7th Panzer Division (NVA)
- 10th motorized rifle division ( mobilization division of the NVA )
- 6th motorized rifle division (mobilization division of the NVA)
- 17th motorized rifle division (mobilization division of the NVA)
Planning until 1985
The 3rd Army was included in the Warsaw Pact's early military planning as a reserve and was part of the 2nd Squadron.
Planning from 1985
From 1985 the 3rd Army became an association of the 1st Squadron. In a now more defensive strategy, as part of the 1st Front, it was supposed to defend the western border of the GDR together with forces of the GSSD.
- Torsten Diedrich : The armed forces of the GDR and Poland in the operational planning of the Warsaw Pact . In: Rüdiger Wenzke (Ed.): Potsdam writings on military history . tape 12 . Military History Research Office, Potsdam 2010, ISBN 978-3-941571-09-9 (on behalf of the Military History Research Office).