3rd Royal Saxon Hussar Regiment No. 20 - 3. Königlich Sächsisches Husaren-Regiment Nr. 20
Due to the increase in the army, the Saxon Army received an eighth cavalry regiment on October 1, 1910 (Foundation Day) with the 3rd Hussar Regiment No. 20 , which meant that the four infantry divisions were now each equipped with a complete cavalry brigade of two regiments. This corresponded to the intended equipment of the peace presence.
The following regiments each had to hand over a squadron to the new unit:
- 1st Hussar Regiment "King Albert" No. 18 the 3rd Squadron
- 2nd Hussar Regiment "Queen Carolin" No. 19 the 4th Squadron
- 1st Uhlan Regiment "Emperor Franz Josef of Austria, King of Hungary" No. 17 the 3rd Squadron
- 2nd Uhlan Regiment No. 18 the 3rd Squadron
The 5th Squadron later supplemented itself from the regiment.
First World War
After mobilization, the regiment moved west on August 7, 1914, through Luxemburg to the Meuse and then to the Marne . It had been assigned to 1st Infantry Division No. 23 . The hussars had their first enemy contact at Dinant . This was followed by cavalry reconnaissance and patrol service until the withdrawal order on September 9, 1914. On that day, the regiment was at Lenharrée on the other side of the Marne. The transfer to the Aisne followedand with it the end of the cavalry combat mission in the regimental unit. The hussars first had to dismount and were used in trench warfare as infantry. In October – November 1914, numerous members of the regiment fell victim to a typhus epidemic.
From the end of 1914 to April 1915, the regiment was part of the movable army reserve of the XII. Army Corps of the Cavalry Brigade "Rüxleben" and then resigned to 1st Infantry Division No. 23. Here, in turn, it was mainly used in trench warfare until the regimental association was finally disbanded on July 17, 1916 and the squadrons were placed under various command associations.
- 1st Squadron of 1st Infantry Division No. 23
- 2nd squadron and staff of 3rd Landwehr Division No. 47
- 3rd Squadron (not known)
- 4th Squadron of 3rd Infantry Division No. 32
- 5th Squadron of 7th Infantry Division No. 123
Partly re-deployed as a mounted troop, the hussars moved in the Somme , Champagne , Siegfriedstellung and Flanders area and were used here as infantry, for scouting patrols and for sending messages to higher staff.
After the end of the war, the squadrons returned individually to Bautzen by January 1919, where the regiment was demobilized . The dissolution of the association was completed on April 1, 1920.
|Lieutenant colonel||Horst von Luttitz||October 1, 1910||December 21, 1911|
|Major||Karl von der Planitz||December 22, 1911||December 7, 1913 (in charge of the tour)|
|Lieutenant colonel||Karl von der Planitz||December 8, 1913||February 25, 1915|
|Major||Moritz Schulz||February 26, 1915||December 12, 1916|
|Major||Friedrich Genthe||February 15, 1919||March 26, 1919|
The hussars of the regiment no longer received the usual colorful Attila of the hussars, but already field-gray and field-gray trousers and field-gray lacing. The uniform, however , was cut and equipped exactly like the colorful peace uniform of her comrades from the regiments that had previously been set up. Only the Kolpak , with its blue color, still referred to the colorful skirt of the past few days. The fur hat was adorned with a star and a coat of arms, and gold-colored, flat chains of scales. The standard was green and white.
The boots of the hussars were called "Tschismen" (ung. Csizma ). In contrast to other cavalry boots, they were made more elegant. At the front with a cutout pointing downwards, at the back with a curved cut upwards. The edge had an ornament and a rosette in front.
- Hugo FW Schulz: The Bavarian, Saxon and Württemberg cavalry regiments 1913/1914. Weltbild Verlag 1992.
- Karl Edler von der Planitz: The 3. Kgl. Saxon. Hussar Regiment No. 20. Dresden 1932.
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 3: The occupation of active regiments, battalions and departments from the foundation or formation until August 26, 1939. Cavalry, artillery, pioneers, motor and driving departments, armored forces, traffic force and intelligence departments. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1993, ISBN 3-7648-2413-1 , p. 144.