3rd Upper Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 172 - 3. Ober-Elsässisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 172

3rd Upper Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 172

Neubreisach Neue Kas 1909.jpg

The regiment moved into its new barracks in 1909
active March 31, 1897 to January 15, 1919
Armed forces Prussian Army
Branch of service Infantry
structure 12 Companies & MG Company
Strength 2000–2500
Insinuation XV. Armee-Korps
Location Offenburg 1914–1918 (replacement battalion)
Former locations 1897–1914 Neubreisach
Origin of the soldiers Alsace, Rhineland, Westphalia
Tradition 17. Infanterie-Regiment
Butcher Second Battle of Flanders

The third upper-Alsatian Infantry Regiment. 172 was an infantry joined the Prussian army .

story

Seal mark K. Pr. 3rd Upper Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 172, 1st Battalion

The association was set up on March 31, 1897 under the name Infantry Regiment No. 172 and initially stationed in Strasbourg . It was formed from the IV half battalions of infantry regiments No. 132 and 138 (1st battalion) and 99 and 143 (2nd battalion), which were set up in 1893 . [1] The regiment was subordinate to the 85th Infantry Brigade of the 30th Division .

In 1901 the regiment of the 82nd Infantry Brigade was placed under the 39th Division .

On January 27, 1902, Wilhelm II issued the army order that the associations, which had previously been run without a rural team name, were given an extension of their name in order to better differentiate and develop tradition. From this point on, the regiment was called the 3rd Upper Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 172.

In 1907, the federation was under taxes from companies of other regiments to a III. Battalion, which was stationed in Neubreisach , expanded. From this point onwards it formed three battalions of four companies each. On October 1, 1912, the regiment received an MG company. In the same year the association was merged in Neubreisach.

First World War

The regiment was used exclusively on the Western Front during World War I and was involved in the Second Battle of Ypres , among other things . The regiment was south of the Menenstrasse before Ypres. During this time the Koelberg military cemetery practically became their regimental cemetery , which they sponsored. [2]

Whereabouts

After the end of the war , the regiment returned home, where it arrived in Weida on December 18, 1918 . Demobilization took place there from January 15, 1919 . A volunteer company and a volunteer machine gun company were formed from parts of the regiment, which then transferred to the "Eulenberg" Freikorps in mid-February 1919 as the 4th company and the 2nd machine gun company . In June 1919, both companies joined the Provisional Reichswehr in the 2nd Battalion of the 52nd Reichswehr Infantry Regiment. [3]

The tradition in the Reichswehr was adopted by the 8th Company of the 17th Infantry Regiment by decree of the Chief of Army Command, General of the Infantry Hans von Seeckt , on August 24, 1921 .

Commanders

Rank Name Date [4]
Oberst Ulrich von Zanthier March 31, 1897 to May 21, 1899
Oberst Otto Heckert 22. May 1899 bis 17. August 1901
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Heinrich Geppert August 18, 1901 to April 17, 1903
Oberst Albert Schöpflin April 18, 1903 to August 31, 1907
Oberst Friedrich von Wacholtz 0 September 1, 1907 to May 17, 1908
Oberst Rudolf von Bercken May 18, 1908 to April 20, 1911
Oberst Friedrich von Dungern April 21, 1911 to September 30, 1912
Oberst Maximilian von Suter 0 October 1, 1912 to October 11, 1914
Major Roedenbeck October 12 to November 7, 1914 (in charge of the tour)
Lieutenant colonel Ludwig von Gemmingen-Guttenberg November 14, 1914 to February 10, 1915
Lieutenant colonel Otto waterfall February 11, 1915 to March 31, 1916
Lieutenant colonel Leopold von Rath 0 April 1 to October 9, 1916
Major Bulkheads October 10 to November 18, 1916 (entrusted with the tour)
Lieutenant colonel Wladislaw Semerak November 19 to December 30, 1916
Lieutenant colonel Kurt Thinks December 31, 1916 to August 6, 1918
Major Johannes Hahn 0 August 7, 1918 to January 9, 1919
Oberst Armin Koenemann January 10, 1919 until dissolution

literature

  • Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 , p. 264.
  • Hans Wegener: The history of the 3rd Upper Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 172 Zeulenroda (Thuringia) 1934.
  • Werner Bernhard Sendker: Fallen in Flanders fields. Germans and their relationship to the First World War. Tönningen 2005, ISBN 3-89959-366-9 .

Weblinks

Commons : 3rd Upper Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 172 - Collection of images, videos and audio files

Individual evidence

  1. ^ Curt Jany : History of the Prussian Army from the 15th Century to 1914. Volume 4. Biblio Verlag. Osnabrück 1967. p. 303.
  2. Hans Wegener: The history of the 3rd Upper Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 172. Zeulenroda (Thuringia) 1934. P. 127.
  3. ^ Jürgen Kraus: Handbook of the units and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Publishing house Militaria. Vienna 2007. ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 . P. 264.
  4. Günter Wegmann (Ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The occupation of the active infantry regiments as well as Jäger and MG battalions, military district commands and training directors from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1992, ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 , p. 379.