3rd Panzer Grenadier Brigade (Federal Army) - 3. Panzergrenadierbrigade (Bundesheer)

3rd Panzer Grenadier Brigade

COA 3PzGrenBrig.svg COA 3PzGrenBrig var.svg

Troop body badge Association badge
active 1956 to 2016
State OsterreichAustria Austria
Armed forces Roundel of Austria.svg Federal Army
Armed forces Armed Forces
Branch of service Mechanized
Type Panzer Grenadiers
Subordinate troops
Insinuation Federal Ministry for National Defense and Sport
Brigade headquarters Julius Raab barracks, Mautern on the Danube
Colours Infantry green, black
insignia
Identifikationssymbol Cross, four-leaf clover

The 3rd Panzer Grenadier Brigade ( 3rd PzGrenBrig ) was one of two mechanized brigades of the Austrian Armed Forces until 2016 and owned several battalions of various branches in Lower Austria and Burgenland . Their command was in Mautern on the Danube .

In the course of the army reform in 2016 , the 3rd Panzer Grenadier Brigade was transferred to the Rapid Operations Command .

history

The 3rd Panzer Grenadier Brigade was set up in Vienna on September 1, 1956 as the 3rd motorized ( infantry ) brigade . To the unit belonged to the battalion 9, 10 infantry battalion and the brigade artillery division 3. In October 1956, took place the laying of Krems . A year later the brigade occupied the Raab barracks in Mautern an der Donau, where the command is still stationed today.

The first armored vehicles were Russian T-34 main battle tanks .

On January 1, 1963, the reclassification into the 3rd Panzer Grenadier Brigade with the Brigade Command and the Armored Staff Battalion 3 in Mautern an der Donau, the Panzer Grenadier Battalion 9 in Horn and Weitra , the Panzer Battalion 10 in St. Pölten-Spratzern and the Armored Artillery Battalion 3 in Allentsteig .

In 1998 the St. Pölten tank battalion 10 was transferred to the 4th Panzer Grenadier Brigade (location: Linz - Ebelsberg ). For this, the brigade received the 33rd Panzer Battalion in Zwölfaxing and the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion in Mistelbach .

During this time, the Leopard 2 A4 battle tanks were purchased and the first female recruits were trained.

The badge of the 3rd Panzer Grenadier Brigade was a gold-framed black semicircular shield with a white cross. In the shield head above there was a white lettering with the name of the association. At the top left there was a white four-leaf clover, which symbolized the four quarters of Lower Austria.

As a consequence of the refugee crisis in 2015 , the armed forces increased their number of units on the one hand and further specialization and reorganization on the other. For the 3rd Panzer Grenadier Brigade, this meant that it was transferred to the Rapid Operations Command as part of this federal army reform in 2016 .

structure

The brigade last had the following structure:

Strength and armament

Main battle tank Leopard 2A4 of Panzer Battalion 33

In addition to the armored personnel carriers, the large formation also had pioneer, infantry (hunter), reconnaissance and artillery units. The brigade had the following weapons and equipment:

Calls

The 3rd Panzer Grenadier Brigade was specifically deployed for national military defense at home and abroad. In addition, it was also used in disasters and accidents such as avalanches , mudslides and floods. Other tasks included training contingents for peacekeeping missions abroad, such as in Kosovo or Bosnia .

Commanders

See also

Weblinks

Commons : Military Exercise 1999 (Armored Combat Vehicles) - Collection of pictures, videos and audio files