3. Schlesisches Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 15 - 3. Schlesisches Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 15
The association was established by the Highest Cabinet Order (AKO) from September 27 to October 30, 1866 (Foundation Day) as Dragoon Regiment No. 15 from the 5th Squadron of the Leib-Kürassier-Regiment (Silesian) No. 1 , the 2nd Silesian Dragoon Regiment No. 8 and the Hussar Regiment No. 4 and 6 were established. The regiment was initially assigned to Gross-Strehlitz in Upper Silesia as a garrison.
By AKO on February 28, 1867, twelve soldiers from the aforementioned regiments as well as the Uhlan Regiment No. 2 and 59 recruits were put together to form the 5th Squadron. On November 3, 1867, the association was named 3rd Silesian Dragoon Regiment No. 15 . After winning the war against France, the regiment temporarily moved to Hagenau on July 9, 1871 and was then assigned with AKO on August 22, 1871, the city as the final garrison.
With the mobilization, the regiment moved to the French border and led the first battles there. After the Battle of the Marne , the association took part in the race to the sea as part of the front lengthening and got as far as Lille . From the end of December 1914 to October 1915, the unit was assigned to the Army Reserve in Lorraine, where it undertook patrol and security services. The dragoons then provided border protection on the Belgian-Dutch border until October 1916. Then took part in the campaign against Romania with the subsequent transfer back to the Western Front , where until April 1917 patrol and security services in the area ofSiegfriedstellung were undertaken.
In May 1917, assigned to the 7th Cavalry Division on the Vosges Front, the regiment began to be converted into a cavalry rifle association. After the horses were surrendered, the dragoons were trained as infantry and from July 1918 onwards they were used as "Rifle Battalion Dragoons 15" in defensive battles on the western front.
In October 1918, the unit moved to Alsace to refresh and stayed there until the end of the war.
After the Armistice of Compiègne , the rest of the regiment began the march into the Reich on November 12, 1918. Since the garrison in Hagenau was no longer available, the regiment in Rotenburg an der Fulda was demobilized and disbanded.
On June 16, 1871 appointed William I the cavalry general Wilhelm von Tümpling in honor of his contributions to the regimental commander . After his death, this position remained vacant and was only refilled on September 5, 1897 with the appointment of Prince Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria .
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Alexander von Busse||October 30, 1866 to August 25, 1871|
|Major||Louis von Hesberg||August 26 to November 3, 1871 (in charge of the tour)|
|Major/Oberstleutnant/Oberst||Louis von Hesberg||November 4, 1871 to June 14, 1875|
|Lieutenant colonel||Oskar von Buddenbrock-Hettersdorff||June 15, 1875 to October 11, 1878|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Eduard Schmidt von Altenstadt||October 12, 1878 to March 10, 1886|
|Lieutenant colonel||Karl von Diepenbroick-Grüter||March 11, 1886 to March 23, 1890|
|Oberst||Carl Otto||March 24, 1890 to February 24, 1891|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Lothar von Fürstenberg||February 25, 1891 to June 17, 1895|
|Oberst||August Franz von Rodde||June 18, 1895 to March 21, 1899|
|Lieutenant colonel||Eugen von Horn||March 22, 1899 to March 25, 1901|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Ludwig Rocholl||April 18, 1901 to April 9, 1906|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Karl August Hellwig||April 10, 1906 to June 15, 1910|
|Oberst||Viktor von Lindern||June 16, 1910 to April 2, 1911|
|Oberst||Carl Berghe von Trips||April 21, 1911 to April 21, 1912|
|Oberst||Magnus of Abercron||April 22, 1912 to March 31, 1914|
|Lieutenant colonel||Franz Hotop||April 1 to November 13, 1914|
|Lieutenant colonel||Heinrich Deetjen||November 14, 1914 to July 31, 1915|
|Oberst||Ernst Buchfinck||August 1, 1915 to April 21, 1916|
|Oberst||Joachim von Schlichting||April 22 to May 9, 1916|
|Lieutenant colonel||Erich von Hopffgarten||May 10, 1916 to July 4, 1918|
|Lieutenant colonel||Otto Koch||July 5, 1918 to January 19, 1919|
|Oberst||Franz Hotop||January 20 to August 7, 1919|
The dragoons wore a cornflower blue tunic and anthracite trousers. The tunic was equipped with Swedish lapels.
The so-called badge color of the regiment was pink. The cuffs , the stand-up collar, the epaulette fields and passers-by were of this color . The collar and the cuffs were provided with white piping. The regimental number was on the shoulder pieces and epaulettes. The buttons and fittings made of nickel silver . A white bandolier with a black cartridge ran from the left shoulder to the right hip . Bandoliers and cartouches were not worn with the evening suit and formal suit. The helmet was equipped with a dragoon eagle made of tombac , as were scale chains and the tip of the helmet made of tombac. A black (for the musicians a red) horsehair bush was attached to the parade. The country cockade was white and black. Likewise the lance flag of the teams. The waist strap (the Dragoons had no belt) was white and had a simple pin buckle.
According to AOK of February 14, 1907, the field-gray uniform M 1910 was introduced for field service from 1909/10. In this uniform, the straps and boots were natural brown, the helmet was covered by a reed-colored cover. The bandolier and cartridge were no longer worn.
- Jürgen Kraus : The German Army in World War I: Uniforms and Equipment - 1914 to 1918. Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2004, (= catalogs of the Bavarian Army Museum, 2). ISBN 3-9501642-5-1 .
- Hugo FW Schulz: The Prussian Cavalry Regiments 1913/1914. Podzun-Pallas Verlag, Friedberg 1985, licensed edition Weltbild Verlag, Augsburg 1992, ISBN 3-89350-343-9 .
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 3: The staffing of active regiments, battalions and departments from the foundation or list up to August 26, 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1993, ISBN 3-7648-2413-1 , pp. 72–73.