3rd regiment of hussars - 3e régiment de hussards
Esterhazy Regiment Hussars
Internal association badge
|Armed forces||French armed forces|
|Armed forces||French Army|
|Branch of service||cavalry|
|Type||Armored reconnaissance regiment|
|Location||Metz (Séré-de-Rivières barracks)|
|Patron saint||St. George of Lydda|
|Motto||' It's worth more than one'|
|Awards|| Croix de guerre 1914–1918 with a silver star |
Croix de guerre 1939–1945 with a palm branch
|commander||Lieutenant-colonel Rodolphe Hardy (since July 1, 2015) |
The 3 e régiment de hussards - 3 e RH (3rd Hussar Regiment) is a tank reconnaissance regiment of the French army and part of the armies blindée et cavalerie . It is subordinate to the Franco-German Brigade .
Listed and renamed in chronological order
- 10 February 1764: formation of the Régiment Esterházy Houzards
- January 1, 1791: By decree, the regiments lost their names and were only referred to by numbers. From then on the unit was called 3 e régiment de hussards
- 1814: Renamed to: Hussards du Dauphin
- 1815: In the course of the second restoration, renaming to: Hussards de la Moselle
- 1825 Umbenennung in: 3 th Hussars
- 1939: When mobilizing , the regiment should be divided into five reconnaissance groups:
- 15 e corps recognition group (Aufklärungsgruppe of Armeekorps 15.) 
- 16 e groupe de reconnaissance de division of infantry (Aufklärungsgruppe the 16th Infantry Division)
- 32 e groupe de reconnaissance de division of infantry (Aufklärungsgruppe the 32nd Infantry Division)
- 46 e groupe de reconnaissance de division of infantry (Aufklärungsgruppe the 46th Infantry Division)
- 94 e groupe de reconnaissance de division of infantry (Aufklärungsgruppe the 94th Infantry Division)
- After the armistice, the unit belonged to the army of the Vichy regime and in Montauban took over its old name 3 e régiment de hussards
- November 1942: After the Germans marched into the zone of unoccupied France ( Operation Anton ), the regiment was disbanded.
- 1943 Der Maquis de Sud-Ouest stellte eine Group of squadrons of the 3rd regiment of Hussars auf.
- 1. January 1945: Wiederaufstellung of 3 e régiment de hussards in Nancy
- 1962: Dissolution in Lunéville
- February 1963: Re-establishment in Pforzheim as successor to the 24 e régiment de spahis.
- July 1996: move to Immendingen .
- May 2011: Withdrawal from Immendingen and relocation to the “Caserne Séré-de-Rivières” in Metz.
Masters / Colonels / Brigade Chiefs
Mestre de camp was the rank designation for the regimental owner and / or the actual commander. Should the mestre de camp be a person of the high nobility who had no interest in leading the regiment (such as the king or queen), the command was given to the mestre de camp lieutenant (or mestre de camp en second). The name Colonel was used from 1791 to 1793 and from 1803, from 1793 to 1803 the name Chef de brigade was used . From 1791 there were no more regimental owners.
- 10. Februar 1764: Count Valentin Ladislas Esterhazy
- 1767: Chevalier de Boufflers
- 1777: Count von Helmstadt or Baron Pierre-Frédéric Le Fort
- 1783: Karl Konstantin von Hessen-Rheinfels-Rotenburg
- 1788: ?
- 1789: Friedrich III. (Salm-Kyrburg).
- 1792: Colonel de Froissy de Brisson, Colonel Scheydt,
- 1793: Brigade leader of Karowe, Bouchotte, Soultzmann,
- 1794: Lebrun de la Houssaye brigade leader.
- 1804: Colonel Lebrun
- 1807: Colonel de la Ferrière l'Evesque
- 1811: Colonel Rousseau
- 1814: Colonel Moncey.
- 1815: Colonel Sigismond du Pouget de Nadaillac,
- 1823: Colonel de Burggraff, Colonel de Chambrun.
- 1839: Colonel Pelletier-Descarrières.
- 1848: Colonel Genestet de Planhol,
- 1853: Colonel Euzennou de Kersalaün.
- 1861: Colonel Tilliard.
- 1870: Colonel Cramezel de Kerhué (16th July - 24th November 1870)
- from November 24, 1870: Colonel Viel de Lunas d'Espeuilles
- 1875: Colonel Bergeron
- 1876: Colonel Bohin
- 1878: Colonel Renaudot
- 1883: Colonel Besaucele
- 1887: Colonel Raimond
- 1892: Colonel Audren de Kerdrel
- 1897: Colonel Lesné
- 1898: Colonel Perez
- 1906: Colonel d’Anglegean
- 1906: Colonel Grelet
- 1911: Colonel Lyautey
- 1916: Colonel de Cougny-Prefelm
- 1917: Colonel Moineville
- 1919: Colonel Longin
- 1919: Colonel Jobert
- 1927: Colonel de Lescazes
- 1931: Colonel de l'Escale
- 1934: Colonel Gouraud
- 1938: Colonel Azaïs
- 1940: Colonel de Langle de Cary
- 1941: Colonel Bourgouin.
- 1944: Colonel Nérot,
- 1946: Lieutenant-colonel Hurstel,
- 1948: Lt-colonel DARU,
- 1951: Lt-colonel de Kersauzon de Pennendref,
- 1954: Lt-colonel Vignon,
- 1958: Lieutenant-Colonel Michaud,
- 1960: Colonel Dugué Mac-Carty,
- 1962: Lieutenant-Colonel Poirier,
- 1963: Lieutenant-colonel des Moutis,
- 1965: Discovery colonel de Grasset,
- 1967: Discoveryolonel Sabouret,
- 1969: Lieutenant-Colonel Guichard,
- 1971: Lieutenant-Colonel Libault de la Chevasnerie,
- 1973: Lieutenant-colonel Mailfait,
- 1975: Lieutenant-colonel Grillot,
- 1977: Lieutenant Colonel Guichard de Bisschop,
- 1979: Lieutenant-colonel Savare,
- 1981: Lieutenant-Colonel de Ruffray,
- 1983: Lieutenant-colonel Baudot,
- 1985: Colonel Le Chatelier Discovery,
- 1987: Lieutenant-colonel Celerier,
- 1989: Colonel Lafontaine
- 1991: Lieutenant Colonel Sommerlat
- 1993: Lieutenant-Colonel Lefort
- 1995: Lieutenant-colonel Declety
- 1997: Lieutenant-colonel Pinget
- 1999: Colonel Dell’Aria
- 2001: Colonel Arnaud Sainte Claire Deville
- 2003: Lieutenant-colonel Richoux,
- 2005: Colonel Boyard,
- 2007: Colonel Laurent,
- 2009: Colonel Paris,
- 2011: Colonel Rostain,
- 2013: Colonel Bourdeau de Fontenay.
- 2015: Colonel Hardy
- 2017: Colonel Durand
The standard is decorated:
- with the Croix de guerre 1914–1918 (provided with a palm branch for a special mention in the army report)
- with the Croix de guerre 1939-1945 (provided with a silver star for an honorable mention in the divisional report)
- with the Fourragère 1914–1918: Order No. 153 F of June 8, 1918
“The regiment captured an enemy flag on September 10, 1914 and received an honorable mention in the army report for its excellent demeanor on June 1 and 2, 1918. It is permitted to use the Fourragère aux couleurs de la croix de guerre on the standard respectively."
- There is also a banner of the state of Baden-Württemberg on the standard , awarded on January 15, 2001 to all units of the 10th Panzer Division that were deployed in Bosnia and Kosovo.
It is worth more than just one (regiment)
On February 10, 1764, it was set up in Phalsbourg by the Hungarian Count Valentin Ladislas Esterhazy, with one escadron each from the three existing hussar regiments (Bercheny, Chamborant and Royal Nassau), as well as from Alsatian and German volunteers. The new regiment was named "d'Esterhazy Houzards".
Revolutionary Wars and the First Empire
On January 1, 1791, the names of the regiments were replaced by numbering. The former Esterhazy Houzards became the "3 e régiment de Hussards", and this number has been retained to this day.
It gained a reputation as an elite force in the campaigns of the revolution as part of the "Armée du Nord" (1792), the " Armée de la Moselle " (1793 to 1799) and the "Armée des Pyrénées orientales" (1793).
- When setting up the "Armée du Nord"
During the Premier Empire , the regiment fought in Prussia and Spain, where it earned laurels.
- 1806: Campaigns to Prussia and Poland
- Participation in the Spanish War of Independence 1808 to 1813
- 1813: Campaign in Germany
1815 to 1848
After the first restoration it was named Hussards du Dauphin (Hussars of the heir to the throne) and after the second restoration the name Hussards de la Moselle (Moselle Hussars). In 1823 it took part in the French invasion of Spain .
In the Second Empire it became the 3 e régiment de hussards again and was commanded to Algeria from 1861 to 1865 .
Back in France, it took part in the Franco-Prussian War , in which it was unable to distinguish itself.
During the time of the Paris Commune in 1871, the regiment was assigned to the "Armée versaillaise" (Versailles Army) and participated in the so-called "Bloody Week".
First World War
Battle of the Ourcq
- One of the regiment's first skirmishes took place on August 21, 1914
The Lieutenant d'Argenlieu, leader of the patrol reported:
“The Uhlans appeared at the exit and waved their lances , screaming . They were about 300 meters away, where they stood facing us in battle order. I posted my hussars in a row behind me, I trembled with excitement, remembered my final exam in Saint-Cyr à Satory and shouted: To attack .... attack ! "
- Capture of an enemy flag on September 9, 1914 (from the regiment diary)
On September 10, two riders of the regiment near Mont-l'Évêque were able to force 15 scattered infantrymen of the Thuringian Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 94 to surrender and captured the flag of the 2nd Battalion. The Capitaine Sonnois and the Maréchal-des-logis Noury took four prisoners and brought the captured flag to Senlis . 
Nevertheless, the standard of the regiment was not decorated with the Légion d'Honneur, instead the regiment was awarded the Fourragère in the colors of the Croix de Guerre 1914-1918.
Between September and November the regiment took part in the race to sea . It was involved in heavy fighting at Roye ( Picardy ) between September 21 and 24 . In the battles near Arras and the Yser , the hussars were able to distinguish themselves in autumn. More fights followed between October 5th and 9th at Notre-Dame de Lorette, where a number of the members of the regiment were awarded. On October 14th, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Escadron conquer the village of Riez-Bailleul, for which a commendation was given by the cavalry corps. On October 18, the regiments except for one escadron had to surrender their horses and continue fighting on foot.
After the intense fighting at Fournes on October 20, the regiment was completely exhausted and was placed in the division reserve. Already on November 2nd it was ordered to the Kemmelberg and took part in the attack on Messines .
Soon after the beginning of the war, the time of the glorious cavalry attacks was over.
No information is available for this year
No information is available for this year
On March 10, 1917, the regiment was made mounted again and was able to move into Noyon after various battles. The successful reconnaissance of the regiment, especially the 4th Escadron, allowed an offensive to begin. On March 23, the German lines could be fully explored by the hussars. However, the April 15 attack failed and the regiment returned to the trenches.
On March 26, 1918, the German spring offensive began between Scarpe and Oise . The regiment covered 400 kilometers here on horseback in four days.  As part of the Corps Général ROBILLOT there was fighting between the 25th and April 29th at Kemmelberg against the heavy German attacks. Without reinforcements, on its own, it ultimately had a high number of dead to mourn. When it was replaced on April 29, it was congratulated by Général Robillot for this achievement.
From May 27, a new German attack took place on the Ourcq . After a forced march, the hussars reached Nanteuil-le-Haudoin and were deployed immediately on June 2nd. In a counter-attack without artillery support, Lieutenant-Colonel Guérard was killed on the same day. When the regiment was withdrawn on June 3, the riders had not received any food for four days and had nevertheless covered 200 kilometers.
On June 25, the regiment joined the "2 e corps de cavalerie" (2nd Cavalry Corps) and was deployed on the Marne in the Montmirail region from July 1.
On July 17th and 18th, the Germans were driven out of the eastern part of Epernay by the hussars fighting on foot . On July 20, when they got up again, they followed the retreating and vehemently defending Germans.
From 1919 to 1939 the regiment was garrisoned in Strasbourg
Second World War
In the event of mobilization, the cavalry force was intended to provide reconnaissance groups for large units. When the war was declared, the regiment set up the following four reconnaissance groups (Groupes de Reconnaissance):
- 16 e groupe de reconnaissance de division's infantry - 16 e GRDI (Aufklärungsgruppe the 16th Infantry Division)
- 32 e groupe de reconnaissance de division's infantry - 32 e GRDI (Aufklärungsgruppe the 32nd Infantry Division)
- 46 e groupe de reconnaissance de division's infantry - 46 e GRDI (Aufklärungsgruppe the 46th Infantry Division)
- 94 e groupe de reconnaissance de division's infantry - 94 e GRDI (Aufklärungsgruppe the 94th Infantry Division)
Immediately ready for action, the regiment's formations stood out for the entire duration of the war.
With an army order of September 2, 1940, signed by Général Weygand , the “16e groupe de reconnaissance de division d'infanterie” (reconnaissance group of the 16th Infantry Division) was mentioned in praise: “During the retreat on the Oise to Vienne in the non-stop fighting of the "11e division d'infanterie" (11th infantry division) distinguished the group as the rearguard and secured its own movements in constant contact with the enemy, an excellent troop that honored the French cavalry. "
After the armistice, the regiment belonged to the army of Vichy France and was garrisoned in Montauban.
The regiment was disbanded in the same year after the German Wehrmacht marched into France, which had not been occupied until then. His standard could be brought to safety.
Some of the regimental members joined the Maquis of Tarn and Garonne . Here they set up the Groupe d'escadrons du 3 e régiment de Hussards, which was incorporated into the 1st Army of Général de Lattre de Tassigny after the Allies landed in Provence in August 19144 . The unit fought in the Vosges and Alsace . On January 1, 1945, the 3rd Hussar Regiment in Nancy was made up of Maquisards and young recruits officially returned to service and participated in the fighting until the end of the war. For its activities during the war, the regiment was awarded the Croix de guerre 1939-1945.
After a short stay in the "Quartier Verlay" in Roanne , the regiment was transferred to Morocco in the spring of 1947 , where it was stationed in the "Quartier Bissey" in Meknes . It stayed here for eight months. It was then relocated to the “Quartier Espagne” in Auch for a short time . At the beginning of 1949 it moved into the "Quartier Valazé" in Alençon garrison, where it was to remain for six years.
Once again destined for a stay in Morocco, the Hussars left Alençon on August 20, 1955 and took part in various operations to maintain security and order until the Algerian War of Independence broke out in 1958 . Until 1962 the hussars fought several skirmishes with rebel units. The return to France and the dissolution in Lunéville followed . In February 1963, the regiment in Pforzheim was re-established and replaced the 24 e Régiment de Spahis there. Belonging to the Forces Françaises en Allemagne , it was the reconnaissance regiment of the 3rd French Armored Division until 1968 and then that of the 2nd French Army Corps until 1990.
post war period
Today the regiment belongs to the Franco-German Brigade. There it represents the "heavy" component of the brigade with its AMX-10 RC armored vehicles. The task of reconnaissance within the brigade is the responsibility of the 4th company of the Jäger Battalion 291 , for which the regiment took over the sponsorship when the battalion was set up in 2010.
Between 1963 and 1996 the hussars were stationed in Pforzheim and then until 2011 in Immendingen in the Oberfeldwebel Schreiber barracks. After the brigade was rebuilt, Metz has been the new garrison since 2011.  Here it followed the disbanded "2 e régiment du génie" (2nd pioneer regiment) in the Caserne Séré-de-Rivières
- 3 armored reconnaissance squads
- 1 support squadron
- 1 staff and supply squadron
- 1 reserve intervention squadron (consisting of reservists only)
- According to the task of the light cavalry: reconnaissance and reconnaissance, security tasks within the brigade, defense against attacks and counter-attacks.
- Participation in peace and / or security missions
- Participation in humanitarian missions (Bosnia 1997, New Caledonia 1999)
- In 2004 the regiment was active in the following countries:
- In 2007 a first engagement with the 3rd Escadron followed in Djibouti
The regiment has the following types of vehicles:
- Heavy armored vehicles: AMX-10 RCR (upgraded combat value),
- Rad-Transportpanzer: Front armored vehicle (VAB),
- Light armored reconnaissance vehicle: Véhicule Blindé Léger (VBL)
- Anti-aircraft and anti-tank components
Séré-de-Rivières barracks, 2 avenue de Blida, 57044 METZ.
- Mélanie Benard-Crozat: 3rd regiment of hussars . Ed. Esprit com ', Denguin 2014, ISBN 978-2-9543989-2-1 (250 years of an exceptional regiment - Esterhazy Houzards).
- Presentation on the official website of the Army
- HISTORY OF THE 3 ° REGIMENT OF HUSSARDS ( Memento vom 7. Dezember 2008 im Internet Archive )
- Armored Cavaliers
- site on the history and traditions of the 3rd Hussars
- This reconnaissance group does not seem to have been set up by this regiment, as it is not mentioned anywhere later in connection with the regiment
- Decision n ° | 12350 / SGA / DPMA / SHD / DAT of September 14, 2007 relating to the inscriptions of names of battles on the flags and standards of the troops of the army, of the health service of the armies and of the service essences of armies. In: Official bulletin of the armies. Nr. 27, 9. November 2007.
- Decree relating to the attribution of the AFN 1952–1962 inscription on the flags and standards of armed forces and services formations, of November 19, 2004 (A) NORDEF0452926A Michèle Alliot-Marie.
- Cavalry barracks were called "quarters"
- Jean-Louis Larcade: The German flags lost in 14–18. In: Uniforms. Nr. 45 (September-October) 1978, S. 19.
- This mileage is to be classified as unrealistic, a horse simply cannot do it!
- Widerstandskämpfern (Maquis)
- The 3rd Hussar Regiment planned for Metz in 2011