40th Division (Franco's Army) - 40.ª División (Ejército franquista)
|Saturnino González Badía|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The unit was created in May 1938, [ 1 ] within the Moroccan Army Corps , with infantry colonel Saturnino González Badía as commander and Chief of Staff Luis de Lamo Peris as Chief of Staff . [ 1 ] [ 2 ] The unit completed its organization phase to the 14 May. [ 2 ] A few days later, on the 22nd, he took over from the 150th Division in the Segre river sector [ 3 ] that ran from the confluence between the Segre and Ebro rivers toAlfarrás . [ 4 ]
At the end of 1938 the unit took part in the offensive in Catalonia together with the rest of the Moroccan Army Corps. In January 1939, after the start of the battle of valsequillo-Peñarroya , the unit was sent as reinforcement to the front of Extremadura, [ 5 ] [ 4 ] taking part in the fighting bloody that developed and therefore Franco counter. On January 19, the forces of the 40th Division reconquered the Sierra del Risco [ 6 ] and subsequently continued to press into the bag, seizing Los Blázquez after overcoming the resistance of the 61st Divisionrepublican. [ 7 ]
The division would be dissolved after the end of the contest.
- Besolí , Andreu; Sesalí , David; Hernández , Xavier; Íñiguez , David; Luque , Joan Carles (2005). Ebro 1938 . Barcelona: Inedita Editores. ISBN 84-96364-27-5 .
- Engel , Carlos (2000). History of the divisions of the national army . Almena Editions.
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1978). The Battle of the Ebro . Madrid: San Martín.
- —— (1979). The Campaign of Catalonia . Madrid: San Martín.
- —— (1985). The end of the Civil War . Madrid: San Martín. 84-7140-232-7 .
- Moreno Gómez , Francisco (1985). The Civil War in Córdoba (1936-1939) . Córdoba: Alpuerto.