40th Division (People's Army of the Republic) - 40.ª División (Ejército Popular de la República)
|Active||April 13, 1937 - March 27, 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 40th Division was one of the Divisions of the People's Army of the Republic that were organized during the Spanish Civil War on the basis of the Mixed Brigades . It was made up of forces from the Carabineros Corps .
The division was created on April 13, 1937, [ 1 ] in the Teruel Front. It was formed from forces from militias and Carabinieri forces from the 87th Mixed Brigade . The division was initially assigned to the «Teruel Operations Army», [ n. 1 ] although the unit was later assigned to the XIX Army Corps . In December 1937, integrated into the XX Army Corps , he participated in the republican offensive on Teruel. [ 3 ] [ 4 ]By then he was under the command of Carabinieri Lieutenant Colonel Andrés Nieto Carmona . [ 5 ] The 84th and 87th brigades were the ones that carried the weight of the struggle to conquer the capital of Teruel, after taking part in a house-to-house fight.
After the end of the fighting in Teruel, the 40th Division was placed in reserve, integrated into the XIX Army Corps , with its forces very worn out. [ 6 ] Later it was integrated into the XVII Army Corps , together with the 25th and 65th divisions ; He came to have an outstanding intervention during the republican defense of Caudiel's "bag" . [ 7 ] For their behavior during the fighting, the 40th Division was awarded the Medal of Valor. [ 8 ] [ 9 ]Towards the end of the war, in March 1939, it was located on the Segorbe front . [ 10 ]
- Infantry Colonel Manuel Valencia García , [ 11 ] with his creation, since April 1937.
- Carabinieri Lieutenant Colonel José María Galán Rodríguez , since August 1937.
- Carabinieri Lieutenant Colonel Andrés Nieto Carmona , since December 1937.
Order of battle
|Date||Attached Army Corps||Integrated Mixed Brigades||Battle front|
|April-May 1937||Army of oper. from Teruel||82.ª , 84.ª , 87.ª||Teruel|
|December 1937||XX Army Corps||82.ª , 84.ª , 87.ª||Teruel|
|February 1938||XIX Army Corps||87.ª , 97.ª , 222.ª||Teruel|
|March 1938||XIX Army Corps||87.ª , 222.ª , 58.ª y 97.ª||Teruel-Levante|
|November 1938||XVII Army Corps||87.ª , 211.ª , 222.ª||Levante|
- Alpert, Michael (2013). The Republican Army in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939. Cambridge University Press.
- Corral , Pedro (2005). If you want to write to me. The battle of Teruel . Pocket-size. ISBN 84-9793-626-4 .
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Maldonado , José M.ª (2007). The front of Aragon. The Civil War in Aragon (1936-1938) . Look Editors. ISBN 978-84-8465-237-3 .
- Moreno Gómez , Francisco (1996). Pedro Garfias, poet of the avant-garde, war and exile . Córdoba Provincial Council.
- Salas Larrazábal , Ramón (2006). History of the People's Army of the Republic . The Sphere of Books. ISBN 84-9734-465-0 .
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.