44th Mixed Brigade (People's Army of the Republic) - 44.ª Brigada Mixta (Ejército Popular de la República)
|44th Mixed Brigade|
|Active||December 31, 1936 - March 27, 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
| José María Enciso |
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The unit was created on December 31, 1936 from the "Enciso" column commanded by the infantry commander José María Enciso Madolell - who would be kept as the head of the brigade. Álvaro Peláez Antón , of the PCE , was appointed as commissioner of the unit . The 44th BM, created in front of Madrid, was concentrated in Barajas for its training phase. Once this was finished, it became part of the 8th Division of the Madrid Army Corps . [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
The unit had its baptism of fire on January 17, 1937, during an assault on the Clinical Hospital of the University City ; he did not intervene in the Battle of Jarama . During the rest of the war, the 44th WB was assigned to the 8th Division, covering the sector that went from El Pardo to the Sierra Madrileña, without intervening in relevant military operations. [ 3 ]
In March 1939 he took part in the Casado coup . On March 10, some units of the 44th WB, which lined the first line between Villafranca del Castillo and Cerro de los Ángeles, abandoned their positions and headed for Madrid, in support of the Negrín government . After the end of the fighting, due to the attitude contrary to Casado's coup, his commanders were deposed and replaced by officers addicted to the Casado forces. [ 3 ]
- Infantry Commander José María Enciso Madolell ;
- Militia Major Guillermo Ascanio Moreno ;
- Militia Major Julio Carreras Castro ;
- Major of the militias Enrique Valls Poquet ;
- Chiefs of Staff
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: Almena. ISBN 84-922644-7-0 .
- Gabriel , Pere (2011). History of the UGT IV. A trade unionism at war (1936-1939) . Siglo XXI de España Editores.
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.