46th Mixed Brigade (People's Army of the Republic) - 46.ª Brigada Mixta (Ejército Popular de la República)
|46th Mixed Brigade|
|Active||December 31, 1936 - March 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Dissolution||March of 1939|
|David Alfaro Siqueiros|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The unit was created on December 31, 1936 from the old "Ghost" column — which is why it was known as the "Ghost" Brigade. [ 1 ] [ 2 ] As brigade commander was appointed commander of the ancient column, Lieutenant Colonel of the Guardia Civil Manuel Uribarri Barutell , while the head of state was appointed Mayor or Captain Jose Soto Serra. The 46th Mixed Brigade was assigned to the 9th Division of the II Army Corps . [ 3 ]
He did not intervene in the Battle of Jarama , although on May 1, 1937, he did intervene in an attack against the Toledo bridgehead . She was briefly assigned to the 36th Division . In the month of July it came to intervene in the first phase of the Battle of Brunete , [ 4 ] although on July 12 it was withdrawn from the front line of combat and went into reserve. Later it would be assigned to the reserve of the Army of Extremadura . [ 3 ]
On June 19, 1937 [ n. 1 ] command of the brigade was taken over by the militia greater David Alfaro Siqueiros , [ 5 ] [ 6 ] famous Mexican muralist. The 46th BM would be incorporated into the newly created 29th Division of the VII Army Corps . [ 7 ] Between April 5 and 8, 1938 he intervened in a small operation on Carrascalejo . On July 18 - in the context of the battle of the Merida bag - it was sent to El Puente del Arzobispoas a reserve force, although the following day it had to be sent directly to the battlefront due to the gravity of the situation. On August 22, the 46th WB suffered heavy losses following a skirmish in Puerto de San Vicente . Until the end of the war, he did not intervene again in relevant operations. [ 3 ]
- Lieutenant Colonel of the Civil Guard Manuel Uribarri ;
- Militia Major Recaredo Alós García ;
- Militia Major David Alfaro Siqueiros ;
- Militia Major Acracio Gómez:
- Major of militias Juan Guijarro Iniesta ;
- Other sources indicate that assumed command of the 46th BM in February 1938. [ 3 ]
- Alpert, Michael (2013). The Republican Army in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939. Cambridge University Press.
- Corral , Pedro (2007) . Deserters. The Civil War that nobody wants to tell . Pocket-size. ISBN 978-84-8346-258-4 .
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- González , Javier (2016). War, exile and death of Aurelio Arteta (1936-1940) . Seville: Red Point Books.
- Mainar , Eladi (1998). From militiamen to soldiers. The Valencian columns in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) . University of Valencia. ISBN 84-370-3349-7 .
- Salas Larrazábal , Ramón (2000). History of the People's Army of the Republic . The Sphere of Books. ISBN 84-9734-465-0 .
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.