49th Division (People's Army of the Republic) - 49.ª División (Ejército Popular de la República)
|Active||April 1938-March 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 49th Division was one of the divisions of the People's Army of the Republic that were organized during the Spanish Civil War on the basis of the Mixed Brigades . It was deployed on the Levante front.
During 1937 there had already been a division on the Northern Front that used this numbering, the successor to the «2nd Basque Division». [ n. 1 ]
On April 30, 1938 the division was recreated within the XX Army Corps . [ 1 ] She would be sent to the Levante front to support the republican forces deployed there against the Franco offensive that was trying to conquer Valencia. It would bring together the 75th , 128th and 221st mixed brigades , [ 7 ] under the command of the militia major Francisco Jiménez Durán . He remained in the Levant front until the end of the war, without participating in relevant military operations.
Order of battle
|Date||Attached Army Corps||Integrated Mixed Brigades||Battle front|
|August 1937||XIV Army Corps||159.ª , 162.ª y 165.ª||Santander|
|April 30, 1938||XX Army Corps||183.ª , 184.ª y 185.ª||General reserve|
|May 30, 1938||XX Army Corps||57.ª y 128.ª||Levante|
|August 1938||XX Army Corps||75.ª , 128.ª y 221.ª||Levante|
- The division was originally commanded by Colonel Joaquín Vidal Munárriz , with José Elorriaga Echevarría as political commissioner. [ 1 ] Subsequently, the militia major Manuel Cristóbal Errandonea , [ 2 ] the militia commander Nino Nanetti [ 3 ] and the militia major Víctor de Frutos would succeed in command of the division . [ 4 ] [ 5 ] When he began the Battle of Santandersome units of the 49th Division withdrew their positions without a fight, leaving other units of the Republican Army abandoned. [ 6 ] The battalions that obeyed the PNV's slogans headed for Santoña, in accordance with the provisions of the so-called " Pact of Santoña ."
- Aguirre , JM (1981). General history of the civil war in Euskadi. The Basque army (I) . L. Haranburu.
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Jiménez de Aberasturi Corta , Luis María (2003). Chronicle of the war in the north (1936-1937) . Txertoa.
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1972). The end of the northern front . Madrid: Ed. San Martín.
- —— (1977). The offensive on Valencia . Madrid: San Martín. 84-7140-142-8 .
- -- (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.