SCB Eb 2/4 (1857) - SCB Eb 2/4 (1857)
|SCB Eb 2/4|
|Year of construction (s):||1857–72|
|Axis formula :||B'2|
|Gauge :||1435 mm (Normalspur)|
|Length over buffers:||9960 mm|
|Bogie axle base:||2250 mm|
|Fixed wheelbase:||2250 mm|
27.5 tons |
29.0 tons (2nd boiler)
38.5 tons |
38.2 tons (2nd boiler)
21.5 tons |
22 tons (2nd boiler)
|Wheel set mass :||
11 tons (2nd boiler)
|Driving wheel diameter:||1525 mm|
|Number of cylinders:||2|
|Cylinder diameter:||360 mm|
|Piston stroke:||561 mm|
|Boiler overpressure:||9 Atm |
10 Atm (2. Kessel)
|Number of heating pipes:||125 |
123 (2. Kessel)
|Heating pipe length:||3790 mm |
3750 mm (2. Kessel)
|Grate area:||0,8 m² |
1,0 m² (2. Kessel)
|Radiant heating surface:||5,8 m² |
6,5 m² (2. Kessel)
|Evaporation heating surface:||81,9 m² |
78,9 m² (2. Kessel)
|Water supply:||4,1 m³|
|Fuel supply:||2.0 tons of coal|
The SCB Eb 2/4 is an Engerth type support tender locomotive . In 1857 twelve locomotives were delivered to the Swiss Central Railway (SCB). This was followed in 1861 by an identical locomotive, which was built in 1859 for the Jura industriel . In 1872 four more were purchased. In total, the SCB owned 17 steam locomotives of this locomotive series. All locomotives were manufactured by the Esslingen machine factory .
The locomotive was one of the three construction variants of the support tank locomotives based on the Engerth system, which the SCB procured from 1854 and used as an express locomotive. The design variant Ec 2/5 was used as a passenger locomotive , the design variant Ed 3/5 as a freight locomotive.
The locomotives had an internal engine. The steam boiler only had a steam collecting pipe and no steam dome. The initially existing conical spark arrester chimney was replaced by a cylindrical chimney after coal firing was introduced in 1859. The engine acted on the second coupling axle, which drove the first axle through the external coupling rods. The slightly inclined piston rods transmitted the force to the slotted drive rod via double-bar crossheads. The control of the Allan type was also within the scope. The first axle of the support tender was in front of the fire box, whereby the tender carried part of the weight of the boiler. Together with the locomotive, it formed an operationally inseparable unit. Initially, the locomotives did not have the spring buffers and screw couplings that are common today, but only shock bars and coupling eyes. The locomotives were equipped with spring buffers and screw couplings between 1861 and 1873. The driver's cab, which is open to the rear, was also added later.
The inner frame consists of two 24 millimeter thick and 225 millimeter high longitudinal bars. These are connected by the cylinders, the tank girders with struts and the cross that forms the coupling to the tender. The suspension springs, which are designed as leaf springs, are fastened over the axle bearings and have no compensating levers between them. The last four locomotives already received an improved boiler, which all other locomotives received in this form during revisions.
This locomotive also had a very weak frame, which earned it the nickname spider . The internal cylinder block, especially the valve body installed in a very confined space, caused some problems and tended to leak.
The locomotives were fitted with a spindle handbrake ex works, which worked on the tender wheels. From 1884, the installation of an additional train brake began, using different systems. These train brakes also only act on the tender wheels of the locomotive. A compressed air brake based on the Wegner system was installed in locomotives 19, 20, 22, 25, 26 and 72 in 1884. A pneumatic brake based on the grinder system was installed in locomotives 15 and 71 in 1884. From 1889 they began to be replaced by a single-acting Westinghouse brake, with locomotives 17, 23, 24, 73 and 74 receiving them in 1889, and locomotive 15 a year later. Locomotives 15 and 71 were temporarily fitted with the Hardy system vacuum brake in 1891. The vacuum braking system could not convince. That is why in 1895 all locomotives of this type still in operation were equipped with Westinghouse brakes. The air tank was constructed in the shape of a tube and, clearly visible, was mounted on the water tank.
Only the last four locomotives delivered received a new number from the SCB, as numbers 71-74 had to be cleared for shunting locomotives. They were assigned the numbers 18-21 of already discarded locomotives. The two locomotives taken over by the SBB also received a new number. There were some changes to the names, because around 1859 it was decided to sort the names that were initially given at random. The locomotives of the Eb series were given 2/4 river names, while the Ec 2/5 were given city names and the Ed 3/5 were given mountain names. As an exception, the number 56 can be called, because for them the name was used industrially in the Jura L'Ardennaisse provided, though delivered with them, but by the SCB once in 1861 in the acquisition Linth renamed.
|Statistics Sweden number||SBB number||Name |
(ab ca. 1859)
|Construction year||Manufacturer||2. Kessel||Discarded||Remarks|
|15||–||Speiser||–||353||1857||Esslingen||1880||1902||Served in 1946 as a parts dispenser for the replica Limmat ( SBB D 1/3 )|
|21||–||We do not||–||359||1857||Esslingen||1874||1896|
|71 / 18||5434||Rhône||–||1179||1872||Esslingen||–||1904|
|72 / 19||5435||Inn||–||1180||1872||Esslingen||–||1903|
|73 / 20||–||Thur||–||1181||1872||Esslingen||–||1898|
|74 / 21||–||Toess||–||1182||1872||Esslingen||–||1902|
All locomotives were scrapped. Only No. 15 Speiser was kept until 1946 and shown without a buffer at the Swiss National Exhibition in Bern in 1914. This locomotive also served as a part donor for the replica of Switzerland's first locomotive, the Limmat (see SNB D 1/3 ).
- Alfred Moser: The steam operation of the Swiss railways 1847-1966 . 4th updated edition, Birkhäuser, Stuttgart 1967, (6th edition ISBN 3-7643-0742-0 )
- Mosser writes about a bargain purchase