4th Hannoversches Infantry Regiment No. 164 - 4. Hannoversches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 164
4th Hannoversches Infantry Regiment No. 164
|active||April 1, 1897 to April 1, 1919|
|State||Kingdom of Prussia|
|Armed forces||Prussian Army|
|Branch of service||Infantry|
|Insinuation||X. Armee-Korps / IV. Armee-Korps|
|Location||Hameln , Hanover|
In 1813 the government of the Kingdom of Hanover ordered the formation of 30 Landwehr battalions to take action against the French occupation and Napoleonic France . Another reason for the formation of the Landwehr battalions was to make up for the lack of soldiers in the final battle against Napoleon . On November 27, 1813, the Hanoverian battalion Calenberg was set up, which formed the origin of the later Prussian regiment. The name should be reminiscent of the Duke of Calenberg , a successful general in the Thirty Years' War. Shortly after it was founded, three more Landwehr battalions were attached to the Calenberg field battalion.
Wars of Liberation
During the war against Prussia , the regiment took part in the battle of Langensalza on June 27, 1866 . After the surrender of which was the Kingdom of Hanover subsequently annexed and dissolved the army and the government.
In the course of the army increase, the Infantry Regiment No. 164 was established on April 1, 1897 . The 1st battalion was formed from the IV battalions of infantry regiments No. 78 and 91 , and the II battalion from regiments 73 and 74 . The regimental staff and the 1st battalion were in Hameln on Deisterstraße, the 2nd battalion was only in Hanover before the regiment was concentrated in Hameln on October 1, 1898 in the new barracks on Scharnhorststraße. The association was subordinate to the X. Army Corps and formed the 82nd Infantry Brigade with Infantry Regiment No. 165. On January 24, 1899, Kaiser Wilhelm II read the order in Hanover, according to which the regiment was led as the successor to the Hanoverian 2nd Infantry Regiment. From this point on, the name was 4th Hannoversche Infantry Regiment No. 164 . As a result, he was awarded a helmet bracelet with the inscription "Waterloo". Due to the army reinforcement, the regiment received a third battalion stationed in Holzminden on October 1, 1913, and another machine-gun company that remained in Hameln.
First World War
- 1914: Participation in the advance in Belgium and France and in the Battle of the Marne with considerable losses
- 1916: on the Somme , in the Artois
After the armistice of Compiègne , the remnants of the regiment returned to Hameln, where they arrived on December 13, 1918 and were demobilized via the local settlement office . Four security companies, which were active as free formations , were formed from the individual units . You went in June 1919 as the 3rd company in the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 20 and in the III. Battalion of the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 19 of the Provisional Reichswehr.
The tradition in the Reichswehr was adopted by the 10th Company of the 18th Infantry Regiment in Hameln on August 24, 1921, by decree of the Chief of Army Command, General der Infanterie Hans von Seeckt .
|Oberst||Daniel yaw||April 1, 1897 to October 16, 1899|
|Oberst||Richard Protzen||October 17, 1899 to April 17, 1901|
|Oberst||Georg Friedberg||April 18, 1901 to April 23, 1904|
|Oberst||Felix from the east||April 24, 1904 to March 21, 1908|
|Oberst||Oskar von Wartenberg||March 22, 1908 to February 21, 1912|
|Oberst||Rudolf of L'Estocq||February 20, 1912 to July 31, 1914|
|Oberst||Günther Herzbruch||August 1, 1914 to October 19, 1916|
|Lieutenant colonel||Viktor von Forstner||October 20, 1916 to November 29, 1917|
|Lieutenant colonel||Wolf Wallmüller||November 30, 1917 to June 21, 1918|
|Lieutenant colonel||Rulof von Bismarck||June 22nd to September 12th 1918|
|Major||Albert Fett||September 13, 1918 until dissolution|
The regiment's uniform was based on that for the battle of Waterloo : a colorful skirt with white, Brandenburg arm cuffs with blue piping, white shoulder pieces with red numerals and a yellow, lined eagle with a bandeau with the inscription Waterloo.
A memorial stone for the return of the soldiers from the battle of Waterloo, who reached Hameln on January 25, 1816, was erected on the garrison church built in Hameln between 1712 and 1713. Because the fallen, wounded or missing soldiers in the battle of Waterloo included nine soldiers from the Hameln Landwehr battalion. In addition, in 1957, based on the application of the Association of Former Members of Regiment 164, the street at the former "Old Barracks" was renamed "Am 164er Ring" in memory of the city. In 1973 the street name was shortened to "164er Ring".
- Hermann Cron: History of the German Army in the World War 1914–1918. Volume V: History of the Kgl. Prussian Army and the Imperial Army. Berlin 1937, new edition: Biblio-Verlag, Osnabrück 1990, ISBN 978-3-7648-1767-1 .
- Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army. 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 , p. 254.
- Günter Wegner: Occupation of the German armies 1815-1939. Volume 1: The higher command posts 1815–1939. Biblio-Verlag, Osnabrück 1990, ISBN 3-7648-1780-1 .
- Arnold Heeren, History of the 4th Hanoverian Infantry Regiment No. 164 , 1932
- Fallen list of World War I at denkmalprojekt.org
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The staffing of active infantry regiments as well as jäger and machine gun battalions, military district commands and training managers from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1992, ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 , p. 371.