4th Panzer Army (Red Army) - 4. Panzerarmee (Rote Armee)
National badge of the armed forces of the USSR
July to October 1942 |
July 1943 to April 1957
(2nd line-up and 4th Armored Guard Army)
|Armed forces||Red Army|
|Armed forces||Armed Forces|
The 4th Panzer Army was a large armored unit of the Red Army in World War II . First deployed from the 28th Army in the summer of 1942 to take part in the defense of Stalingrad , it was transformed back into the 65th Army in October 1942 . Re-erected in July 1943 from the Stawka reserve, it served in the Oryol Operation , the Dnepr-Carpathian Operation , the Lviv-Sandomierz Operation , the Vistula-Oder Operation , the Lower Silesian and theUpper Silesian operation before being raised to Guard status and henceforth designated as the 4th Guards Armored Army . As such, she took part in the Battle of Berlin and the Prague Operation .
After the war it was stationed as part of the group of Soviet occupation troops in Germany in the SBZ , was transformed into the 4th Mechanized Guards Army in 1949 and the 20th Guards Army in 1960. The latter withdrew from reunified Germany in 1993.
Second World War
The large association has had the following names since it was set up:
- 4th Panzer Army , in short: 4th PR (January 1, 1942, first formation, July 15, 1943, second formation)
- 4th Guard Panzer Army (March 17, 1945)
- 4th Guard Armored Division (1946-1949, status)
- 4. Mechanisierte Gardearmee (1949–1957 / 1960)
- 20. Gardearmee (1960)
- 20th Guards Panzer Army (1993, in Voronezh Russia)
- 20. Army Guard (2015)
By order of the Stawka on July 22, 1942, the 4th Panzer Army was formed from the High Command of the 28th Army on August 1st at the Stalingrad Front . At the time it was set up, it comprised a tank corps (22nd), two rifle divisions and other units. It was thrown almost immediately to the front at Kalatsch in order to prevent the German advance on Stalingrad together with the 1st Panzer Army . When the Stalingrad Front was divided at the beginning of August it remained in its existence, and when the Don Front was formed at the end of September it was added to it. It was disbanded on October 22nd and its parts were used to form the 65th Army .
The 4th Panzer Army was formed for the second time on July 1, 1943 on the instructions of the Stavka on June 26 and based on the 19th Cavalry Corps in the Moscow Military District:
|11th Panzer Corps||Generalmajor Nikolai Nikolajewitsch Radkewitsch||20th, 36th and 65th tank brigade and 12th motorized rifle brigade|
|30th Panzer Corps||Generalleutnant Georgi Semjonowitsch Rodin||197th, 243rd and 244th Panzer Brigade and 30th Motorized Rifle Brigade|
|6th Guards Mechanized Corps||Major General Alexander Ivanovich Akimov||16th and 17th Guards Mechanized Brigade and 49th Mechanized Brigade|
From the end of July it was deployed on the West and Brjansk Fronts in the Oryol Operation . The 11th Panzer Corps was then withdrawn from her at the end of August 1943. At the end of September 1943 she was released from the Bryansk Front and assigned to the Stawka reserve in the Karachev area.
In mid-February 1944, during the Dnepr-Carpathian operation , she was assigned to the reserve of the 1st Ukrainian Front and from the beginning of March took part in the Proskurov-Chernivtsi operation against the German 1st Panzer Army (→ Kamenez-Podolski Kesselschlacht ). In mid-April it reached the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains . It was then moved to the Ternopil area to refresh .
From July 13, 1944, the 4th Panzer Army was deployed together with the 1st Panzer Army and the 3rd Guard Armored Army in the Lviv-Sandomierz operation in which they liberated Lemberg . In the subsequent pursuit of the retreating German troops, she crossed the Polish border and was involved in the fighting over the Sandomierz bridgehead .
In January 1945 it was used with the 3rd Armored Guard Army when they broke out of this bridgehead and pursued them towards Silesia . Proceeding via Kielce , Radomsko and Trebnitz , it reached the Oder southeast of Glogau by the end of January and formed a bridgehead over the river. As part of the Lower Silesian Operation from the beginning of February, she advanced from her bridgehead to the Neisse , which she reached in the Forst area at the end of the month . She was then transferred to Upper Silesia, where she took part in the Upper Silesian Operation from mid to late Marchwas involved. On March 17, the People's Commissariat for Defense issued an order to rename the 4th Panzer Army the 4th Guards Armored Army .
The 4th Armored Guard Army took part in the operations from the Spree bridgehead near Groß Döbbern that led to the encirclement of Berlin in the Battle of Berlin . Parts of the army closed the siege ring near Ketzin and Brandenburg an der Havel by meeting units of the parts of the 1st Belarusian Front that had advanced north around Berlin and stopped the advance of the " Wenck Army " to relieve Berlin. Other parts of the army (10th Panzer Corps) went via Michendorf - Saarmund to Potsdam and took part in the storm on the southwestern districts of Berlin.
After Berlin surrendered on May 2, the army was moved south to take part in the Prague Operation , the Soviet Army's last strategic offensive in Europe. On May 5th it crossed the Elbe near Torgau and reached Freiberg on May 6th . Via Frauenstein - Saida they advanced over the Ore Mountains and took Teplice and on May 8th Žatec . On the night of May 9th, a tank brigade of the army reached Prague , the majority of the army entered the city the following day. Parts of the army met on May 9 at Říčany east ofPilsen with the Americans ( 2nd Infantry Division of the 3rd US Army ).
post war period
After the war, the 4th Guards Armored Army belongs to the group of Soviet occupation troops in Germany . In the summer of 1946 it was renamed the 4th Guards Mechanized Army and reduced to a cadre division at the end of October 1946. In March 1950 it was enlarged again and renamed the 4th Guards Mechanized Army . At the end of April 1957 it was renamed the 20th Guards Army . The latter remained in the GDR until it was withdrawn in the course of German reunification due to the two-plus-four treaty in 1991.
Commander in World War II
- Vasily Dmitrievich Kryuchonkin - August 1 to October 14, 1942
- Pavel Ivanovich Batow - October 14-23 , 1942
- Vasily Mikhailovich Badanov - June 26, 1943 to March 29, 1944
- Dmitri Danilowitsch Lelyuschenko - March 29, 1944 to March 17, 1945
4th Guard Panzer Army
- Dmitri Danilowitsch Lelyuschenko - March 17, 1945 until the end of the war