4th Lower Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 143 - 4. Unter-Elsässisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 143

4th Lower Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 143

active April 1, 1890 to April 1919
State Kingdom of Prussia
Armed forces Prussian Army
Branch of service Infanterieregiment
Insinuation XV. Armee-Korps
Location Strasbourg , III. Btl. In Kehl (until 1897), Mutzig (since 1898).

The fourth sub-Alsatian Infantry Regiment. 143 was an infantry joined the Prussian army .

story

The association was established on April 1, 1890 from the 4th battalions of infantry regiments No. 17 , 80 and 83 . The garrison was in Strasbourg , the III. Battalion in Kehl until 1897 , then in Mutzig . On October 2, 1893, a half battalion named IV Battalion was established. Together with Infantry Regiment No. 99 , it formed the 60th Infantry Brigade belonging to the 30th Division .

On January 27, 1902, Wilhelm II issued the army order that the associations, which had previously been run without a rural team name, were given an extension of their name in order to better differentiate and develop tradition. From this point on, the regiment was called the 4th Lower Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 143.

On October 1, 1912, the regiment received an MG company.

Boxing distance

On the occasion of the suppression of the Boxer Rebellion , 143 officers and men volunteered to serve in the expeditionary force to China .

First World War

The regiment made on 1 August 1914. Mobile and moved to the western front , where it was the entire war in use.

Whereabouts

After the end of the war , the regiment could no longer return to its locations in the realm of Alsace-Lorraine. After the march back to Germany in the first half of December 1918, it served as a border guard in the Westerwald . From December 25, 1918, the remnants of the association arrived in Hersfeld , where demobilization took place from December 31, 1918 and the regiment was finally disbanded on April 1, 1919. Even before the demobilization, some of them joined the "Petri" volunteer battalion and the "Gerstenberg" volunteer detachment.

The tradition in the Reichswehr was adopted by the 12th Company of the 12th Infantry Regiment by decree of the Chief of Army Command, General of the Infantry Hans von Seeckt , on August 24, 1921 .

Commanders

Rank Name Date [1]
Oberst Gustav Mache 0 April 1, 1890 to July 27, 1892
Oberst Oskar Wallmüller July 28, 1892 to April 17, 1896
Oberst Guido from Frobel April 18, 1896 to August 17, 1898
Oberst Karl Kuehne August 18, 1898 to October 17, 1901
Oberst Heinrich Krebs October 18, 1901 to June 18, 1902
Oberst Rudolf von Wegener June 19, 1902 to September 3, 1906
Oberst Gustav Küchler 0 September 4, 1906 to June 14, 1907
Oberst Georg Fuchs June 15, 1907 to April 20, 1911
Oberst Theodor Mengelbier April 21, 1911 to January 26, 1914
Oberst Walter von Petersdorff January 27 to September 24, 1914
Lieutenant colonel Friedrich Linker September 25 to November 8, 1914
Lieutenant colonel Paul Bode 0 November 9, 1914 to May 30, 1915
Lieutenant colonel Hermann Pinter 31. May 1915 to 11. May 1916
Lieutenant colonel Heinrich von Dalwigk May 12 to October 15, 1916
Lieutenant colonel Ulfert October 16, 1916 to January 23, 1919
Oberst Adolf von Kühn January 24 to April 1, 1919

literature

  • Hans Bossert: The 4th Lower Alsatian Infantry Regiment No. 143 in peace and in World War I. 2 volumes, Berlin 1935, 1938. Digitized version (volume 1)
  • Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 , p. 227.

Individual evidence

  1. Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The staffing of the active infantry regiments as well as jäger and MG battalions, military district commands and training managers from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1992, ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 , p. 351.