4th Mixed Brigade (People's Army of the Republic) - 4.ª Brigada Mixta (Ejército Popular de la República)
|4th Mixed Brigade|
|Active||November of 1936 - March of 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Carlos Romero Jimenez|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The republican plan envisaged that on November 5 the brigade would leave for Villacañas , and later on to Las Rozas , but finally it was decided that the 5th BM would cover the San Fernando de Henares - Mejorada del Campo - Rivas sector , integrated into the 6th. ª Division . During the defense of Madrid , on November 17, a company from the 1st Battalion stopped an advance of the rebellious forces in the Parque del Oeste , while the bulk of the brigade held heavy fighting in the Ciudad Universitaria . The fighting was so intense that Commander Arellano died during the fighting,[ 2 ] being accidentally replaced by Infantry Lieutenant ColonelCarlos Romero Jiménez. [ 3 ]
The brigade did not intervene in the Battle of Jarama , nor did it in the Battle of Brunete , where it remained in reserve and integrated into the 4th Division . In fact, during the rest of the war it would not intervene in any major military operation again, being stationed on quiet fronts. In December 1937 there was a change in the command of the unit and the 4th BM became integrated into the 7th Division of the II Army Corps . [ 4 ]
On July 31, 1938, it was assigned to the 37th Division of the VII Army Corps on the Extremadura front. He moved to Cabeza del Buey , from where he intervened in the Republican counterattacks after the closure of the Merida stock market . In February 1939 it covered the front of Casas de las Vargas de San Pedro. [ 4 ]
- Infantry Commander Arturo Arellano Fontán ;
- Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Carlos Romero Jiménez ;
- Infantry Captain Antonio Lázaro Fortea ;
- Militia Major Víctor de Frutos Boudevin ;
- Infantry Commander Alipio Díez Calleja ;
- Major of the militias Eugenio Franquelo Ramírez ; [ 5 ]
- Militia Major Vicente Alcalde Butier ;
- Isidoro Hernández Tortosa , from the PCE ; [ 4 ]
- Antonio Solá Cuenca , from the PSOE ; [ 6 ]
- Carlos Barrientos Martínez ;
- Alpert, Michael (2013). The Republican Army in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939. Cambridge University Press.
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: Almena. ISBN 84-922644-7-0 .
- Líster , Enrique (1966). Our War . Editions de la librairie du Globe.
- Salas Larrazábal , Ramón (1973). History of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: National Editor.