4th regiment of hunters - 4e régiment de chasseurs

Regiment Nancre dragon
regiment Franche Comte hunters
4 e regiment chasseurs
4 e Chasseurs

Internal association badge

Internal association badge
Lineup 1675
State France France
Armed forces FrankreichFrance French armed forces
Armed forces FrankreichFrance French Army
Branch of service Mountain troop
Strength 650
Insinuation 27 th Mountain Infantry Brigade
Location Guillaume General Quarter, 05014 Gap, France
Motto Always ready, always willing
Awards Croix de guerre 1914–1918 with three palm branches and a silver star
Croix de guerre 1939–1945 with a palm branch
commander
commander Colonel de Thieulloy (since 2017)
Important
commanders

Camp Master Claude Antoine de Dreux

The former Régiment de Nancré dragons - currently 4 e régiment de chasseurs (4 e RC - 4th Jägerregiment) - is a French regiment that was set up in 1675 as a dragoon regiment. Today it is an association of light cavalry. The regiment is on active service and is the armored regiment of the 27 e brigade d'infanterie de montagne (27th Mountain Infantry Brigade) in Varces . The members of the regiment wear the beret of the mountain troops.

Chasseur à cheval during the First Empire

story

The forerunners of the regiment were:

  • the "Regiment of Nancré dragons", established in 1675 by Claude Antoine de Dreux
  • das “Regiment of foreign volunteers of Clermont-Prince”, aufgestellt 1758 durch Louis de Bourbon-Condé , count of Clermont
  • 1779: conversion of two regiments in the "4 A Regiment de Chasseurs à cheval" [A 1]
  • 1788: Umbenennung in „Régiment des chasseurs à cheval de Franche-Comté“
  • 1791: Umbenennung in "4 and mountain chasseurs à cheval" unter dem Kommando von Colonel Maumigny de Verneuil
  • 1814: Umbenennung in „Regiment of the chasseurs à cheval de Monsieur“
  • 1815: Wiederaufstellung als „4 e régiment de chasseurs à cheval“
  • 1815: dissolution
  • 1816: Position as "Chasseurs à cheval d'Ariège"
  • 1825: Umbenennung in "4 and mountain chasseurs à cheval"
  • 1831: Resolution and Wiederaufstellung as "4 e régiment de chasseurs à cheval"
  • 1921: dissolution
  • 1939/1940: Wiederaufstellung as "4 e régiment de chasseurs à cheval" and renaming the 2nd February in "4 a regiment's automitrailleuses" (4 Panzerwagenregiment).
  • 1940: dissolution
  • 1954: On July 1, 1954, the unit was re-established as the "4 e régiment de chasseurs". It received the status of a reconnaissance regiment and was assigned to the "14 e division d'infanterie" (14th infantry division). This was intended for use in Indochina .

The garrison

  • 1848–1850: Libourne
  • 1882: Bruyères
  • 1887: Saint Germain en Laye
  • 1894–1921: Marseille ?, Épinal
  • 10. – 30. Juli 1940: Vic-le-Comte
  • 1st - 19th July 1954: Reutlingen
  • May 1954–1955: in Tunisia in the Bou Ficha region, then in the Kaïrouan region
  • May 1955 – January 1960: Algeria (Staff in Chelghoum Laïd, Squadrons in Aïn M'lila and Oued-Athménia)
  • January 1960 – July 1962: Algeria (Lamy region, then Kouif)
  • July – October 1962: Algeria (Tebessa region, then Morsott)
  • October 1962 – February 1963: Algeria (La Calle region, staff in Combes)
  • 10. February 1963–30. Juni 1983: Béligneux ( Valbonne , 27 e AD)
  • 1. Juli 1983: Gap (Hautes-Alpes)

Masters / Colonels / Brigade Chiefs

Mestre de camp was the rank designation for the regimental owner and / or the actual commander. Should the mestre de camp be a person of the high nobility who had no interest in leading the regiment (e.g. the king or queen), the command was given to the mestre de camp lieutenant (or Mestre de camp en second). The name "Colonel" was used from 1791 to 1793 and from 1803, from 1793 to 1803 the name Chef de brigade was used . From 1791 there were no more regimental owners.

  • to the Nancré-dragons
1676: Field master of Bursard
1681: Mestre de camp of Philibert-Emmanuel de Froulay de Tessé
1692: Field master of Sennectère
1705: Field master of Belabre
1727: Field teacher of Plebe
1729: Nicolaï's field master
1744: Field master of Bartillat
1748: Field master of Apchon
  • als Volunteers of Clermont-Prince
1761: Field teacher of Nicholas
1763: Field master of Lanan
1782: Mestre de camp Étienne Narcisse de Durfort

Revolution and First Empire

Hofgut Imsbach : Commemorative plaque from Charles Louis Narcisse Lapointe, 1807 Colonel of the regiment
1791: Colonel de Verneuil, Paul Maumigny
1791: Colonel de Jobal, Joseph François
1792: Colonel de Cadignan, Jean Baptiste Dupleix
1792: Colonel de Rossi, Hyacinthe Étienne Antoine Alexandre
1793: Bregeot brigade leader , Claude Hyacinthe
1794: Scalfort brigade leader, Nicolas Joseph
1802: Head of brigade (1803 Colonel) Bruguière, Claude Denis Noël
1806: Colonel Lambert, Urbain François
1807: Colonel Lapointe, Charles Louis Narcisse
1809: Colonel Boulnois, Louis Jacques François
1813: Colonel de Villeneuve de Vence, Clément Louis Helion
1815: Colonel Desmichels, Louis Alexis
1815: Colonel Clary, François Joseph Marie
  • Three officers of the regiment achieved the rank of "Général de Brigade"
Scalfort, Nicolas Joseph
Lambert, Urbain François
Boulnois, Louis Jacques François
  • Regimental commanders killed or injured in fighting
Colonel Bruguière: fallen on 28 October 1806
Colonel Boulnois: Wounded August 14th and 19th, 1812
Colonel de Vence: Wounded October 18 and 20, 1813
  • Number of officers killed or wounded between 1805 and 1815
fallen: 21
died of the wound: 1
wounded: 48

4 e regiment chasseurs

1907: Colonel Labry de Monpoly
1914: Colonel Arthuis

4th auto- machine gun regiment

1939: Lieutenant-colonel Grevy

4 th regiment of hunters

1957: Colonel Alain de Boissieu
1958: Colonel de Saint Germain
1960: Colonel Mirabeau
1961: Colonel Raiffaud
1966: Lieutenant-colonel Tilly
1971: Colonel Provensal
1973: Colonel Basteau
1975: Colonel Codet
1977: Colonel Iliou
1979: Colonel Lajouanie
1981: Colonel Barreau
1983: Colonel Dubost
1985: Colonel Peltier
1987: Colonel Pernet
1989: Colonel Fleuriot
1991: Colonel Dupety
1993: Colonel Langlois
1995: Colonel Epitalon
1997: Colonel Chefson
1999: Colonel de Langlois
2001: Colonel Barrau
2003: Colonel Lockhart
2005: Colonel Kolodziej
2007: Colonel Lemaire
2009: Colonel de Brebisson
2011: Colonel de Courrèges
2013–2015: Colonel Armel Dirou
2015–2017: Colonel Jean-Jacques Fatinet
2017–2019: Colonel Pierre de Thieulloy

Battle calendar

Old regime

Revolution / First Empire

After the final fall of Napoleon I , the regiment was disbanded and the riders were assigned to the "21 e bataillon de chasseurs à pied" (21st battalion hunters on foot).

Restoration

Second empire

  • 1854–1859: Campaign of conquest in Algeria
  • 1859: Sardinian War
  • 1864–1868: Campaign of conquest in Algeria

During the Franco-Prussian War , the regiment was assigned to the Armée du Rhin (Rhine Army): Battle of Spichern

1871–1914

First World War

  • When the war broke out, the regiment was in Épinal , it belonged to the "2 e brigade de cavalerie légère" (2nd light cavalry brigade). This was part of the "21 e corps d'armée" (21st Army Corps) in the "1 re Armée" (1st Army).
  • For the years 1916/17 there is no reliable information about combat operations.

1914

7-30 August: Occupation of the Col de Bonhomme , Sainte Marie and Saales
August 25–4 September: Fights at the Col de la Chipotte , at Hans, Urbeis and Donon
6th - 13th September: First Battle of the Marne

1915

1918

  • Fight on the Aisne

Interwar period

In 1921 the regiment was disbanded.

Second World War

  • Campaign in France:

On February 3, 1940, the "4 e régiment de chasseurs à cheval" was renamed "4 e régiment d'automitrailleuses" (4 e RAM). Under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Grevy, the regiment became a reconnaissance unit for the "4 e division légère de cavalerie" (4th light cavalry division) and belonged to the "14 e brigade légère motorisée" (14th light motorized brigade). It fought in Champagne , Burgundy and south of the Loire . Upon conclusion of the armisticethe regiment had only been in real action for two months, but had lost 795 men (including 29 officers). On July 10, 1940, the "4 e régiment de chasseurs à cheval" within the Vichy Army was reorganized again, but dissolved again at the end of the month.

Since 1954

On July 1, 1954, the former "4 e régiment de chasseurs à cheval" was reorganized as the "4 e régiment de chasseurs". It is again a reconnaissance regiment and was assigned to the "14 e division d'infanterie". This was originally intended to be used in Indochina , but was then moved to Tunis . Between 1954 and 1955 the regiment in Tunisia was mainly concerned with maintaining the military infrastructure. On October 14, 1962, the largest armored unit of the French army in Algeria left the country and returned to France.

In February 1963, the regiment moved into its garrison in “La Valbonne dans l'Ain” in the “Quartier Maréchal des Logis de Langlade” barracks. In 1983 it was moved to Gap in the "Quartier Général Guillaume" barracks, which at that time was one of the most modern barracks in Europe.

equipment

The regiment has:

tasks

The unit is a light tank regiment and subordinated to the "27 e brigade d'infanterie de montagne - 27 e BIM" (27th mountain brigade). It has the tasks:

to carry out violent reconnaissance quickly and precisely
secure operational spaces

The regiment also operates in crisis areas such as Côte-d'Ivoire , Chad , Kosovo and Senegal . It is also used in Afghanistan; among other things for training the Afghan army.

structure

  • 3 armored squadrons
  • 1 reconnaissance and anti-tank squadron
  • 1 staff and supply cadron
  • 1 Reserveescadron

All protected vehicles in the regiment are wheeled vehicles. Armored tracked vehicles are not used.

From 1965 to 1983, the 13th e régiment de chasseurs à cheval cadre was subordinated to the regiment .

address

4 e regiment hunters
Neighborhood General William
BP 158
05014 Gap CEDEX
Tel. 04 92 67 52 99

Inscriptions on the standard

The regiment's standard bears the names of the battles in which it has honored in gold letters on the back. [1] [2]

Awards

The ribbon of the standard is decorated with the Croix de guerre from 1914–1918 with three palm branches and a silver star, the Croix de guerre from 1939–1945 with a palm branch and the gold medal of the city of Milan.

Devise

The regiment's motto is:

Toujours prêt, toujours volontaire
(Always ready - and always voluntary)

Known members of the regiment

  • Louis Hubert Gonzalve Lyautey, Marshal of France , im Jahr 1887 Chief of 1. Squadron
  • Captain Xavier de Cacqueray-Valménier, fallen at the head of the 3rd Squadron on 28 September 1958 in Oued-Athménia
  • Ismael de Lesseps, son of Ferdinand de Lesseps , brigadier in the 1st Squadron

literature

  • Roland Jehan, Jean-Philippe Lecce: Encyclopedia of insignia of the Armored Cavalry Arm. Band II: Hunters on horseback. Cheminements Éditions, 2008, ISBN 978-2-84478-708-8 .
  • Pascal Adrien: History of the army and of all the regiments, since the early days of the French monarchy. A. Barbier, 1850.

Weblinks

Remarks

  1. The hunters on horseback only had one number at this point.
  2. have been replaced by AMX-10 RCR since 2010

Individual evidence

  1. The regulation No. 12350 / SGA / DPMA / SHD / DAT of September 14, 2007 regulates the inscriptions on the standards of the troops of the army, the medical service and the fuel supply service (Service des essences des armées). The basis is the Bulletin officiel des armées , No. 27, November 9, 2007.
  2. ^ Order AFN 1952–1962 on the assignment of the inscriptions on the flags and standards of the formations of the army and the services of November 19, 2004 (A) NORDEF0452926A by Michèle Alliot-Marie.