Prussian EG 509/510 - Preußische EG 509/510
EG 509/510 Variante als BLS Fb 2x2/3-101
mech .: Krauss |
el .: AEG
|Year of construction (s):||1909|
|Axis formula :||1’B + B1’|
|Gauge :||1435 mm (Normalspur)|
|Length over buffers:||15.750 mm|
|Total wheelbase:||12.450 mm|
|Service mass:||94,4 t|
|Friction mass:||69,4 t|
|Top speed:||75 km / h|
|Hourly output :||1.175 kW|
|Continuous output :||615 kW|
|Starting tractive effort:||135 kN|
|Driving wheel diameter:||1.270 mm|
|Impeller diameter:||850 mm|
|Power system :||15 kV 16 2/3 Hz AC|
|Power transmission:||Overhead line|
|Number of traction motors:||2|
|Brake:||Air brake type Westinghouse|
It was ordered for operation on the Bern-Lötschberg-Simplon Railway (BLS) and was to be given the road number 101 as the BLS Fb 2x2 / 3 series  .  It was not accepted by the company in Switzerland and was then used for attempts at electrical operation on the Prussian State Railroad. With the cessation of electrical operation for railways electrified with overhead lines in Central Germany, the locomotive was shut down at the beginning of the First World War and then not put back into operation. The locomotive was retired in 1923.
The locomotive was created as part of a tender for an electric locomotive for the newly built Bern-Lötschberg-Simplon Railway. It was manufactured by Krauss in the mechanical part and AEG in the electrical part and designed as a double locomotive with a 1'B + B1 'wheel arrangement. It was completed in 1909 and was extensively tested on the Oranienburg experimental railway . 
After the locomotive with load rides on the Lötschbergbahn a C'C locomotive from which the Swiss Locomotive and Machine Works and the Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon was inferior, the company refrained from buying the German locomotive.
At the time, the Prussian State Railways had the S-Bahn Berlin project with overhead lines. The locomotive was then equipped with pantographs and used on the Dessau – Bitterfeld railway line in a trial run for the planned drive frame use. Since the locomotive consisted of two identical halves, it could be used both as a train locomotive and as a split unit at the head and at the end of the train. These trips were carried out in order to gain knowledge for the push operation , which did not yet exist in Prussia at that time. Sometimes journeys were made with only one half of the locomotive.  Until the beginning of 1914, the Prussian State Railroad carried out test runs with the EG 509/510 , with speeds of up to 75 km / h being achieved. The locomotive did not have a good reputation in operations and workshop service. Problems with the line connections often led to malfunctions, and the locomotive showed shaking vibrations due to the rod drive. Therefore the locomotive was not used as planned.
It was shut down when electrical operations on the Dessau – Bitterfeld railway were discontinued, and it was not put back into operation after the war. The locomotive was retired in 1923. 
The two frame halves of each half of the locomotive were stiffened by cross bracing, buffer beams, head pieces, the brackets for the transformer and the traction motor. The halves were connected to one another by close couplings, consisting of a fixed close coupling iron and two emergency coupling irons. Two buffers provided a preload between the vehicle halves. The superstructures consisted of the engine room, the driver's cab and a smaller porch in which the auxiliary operations were housed.
The running axle and the first coupling axle were combined into a Krauss-Helmholtz steering frame . Both drive axles were driven by coupling rods from a jackshaft , which received its torque from the high rack motor via another almost vertical coupling rod. The lateral mobility of the first coupling axle was realized by hinge-like coupling rods and spherical crank pins.
As compressed air facilities, the locomotive had the air brake design Westinghouse , the sand spreader and whistles. The required compressed air was generated by an air compressor for each half of the locomotive. Each half of the locomotive had a handbrake and a fan unit for the traction motor as auxiliary equipment.
On delivery, each half of the locomotive had a pantograph . Both halves of the locomotive were connected by flexible cables. The main switch was located on the roof in front of the driver's cab. This made the locomotive look like it was powered by an internal combustion engine. The transformers were designed as jacketed transformers with oil cooling. The locomotive was controlled by a contactor control with seven speed levels. Between the speed steps there was the possibility of gradual over-switching using several current dividers. Two driving switches were located in each driver's cab ; one for the route, one for the shunting. The traction motors were AC machinesbased on the Günther-Eichberg design .
- Dieter Bätzold, Günther Fiebig E-Locomotive Archive , Transpress-Verlag, Berlin 1970
- Brian Rampp: The Dessau-Bitterfeld test farm. In: Prussia Report. Volume 10, 1997, ISBN 3-89610-005-X
- Website about the locomotive with many historical photos
- Website about the Oranienburg experimental railway with photos of the locomotive
- Photo of the test train with the split locomotive on Drehscheibe-online.de
- Baetzold electric locomotive archive , Trans Press Verlag Berlin, 1970, S. 174th
- Brian Rampp: The experimental operation Dessau-Bitterfeld. In: Prussia Report. Volume 10, 1997, ISBN 3-89610-005-X , p. 46.
- Brian Rampp: The experimental operation Dessau-Bitterfeld. In: Prussia Report. Volume 10, 1997, ISBN 3-89610-005-X , p. 47.