53rd Division (Franco's Army) - 53.ª División (Ejército franquista)
| José Moscardó |
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The division was created in May 1937, from the old "Soria" division . [ 1 ] [ n. 1 ] It was under the command of General José Moscardó , [ 3 ] who would later be replaced by General Álvaro Sueiro . [ 4 ]
At the end of 1937 the unit was assigned to the Aragon Army Corps , [ 5 ] being deployed on the Aragon front during the following months. In the spring of 1938, the 53rd Division actively participated in the Aragon campaign , breaking the front in the Huesca sector. [ 6 ] It continued advancing until it reached the line of the Segre River, where it halted its advance. [ n. 2 ]
On October 3, the division was transferred from its positions from the Lleida front, and sent as reinforcement to the Ebro front . [ 8 ] Attached to the Army Corps of the Maestrazgo , [ 9 ] she took part in the last Francoist counteroffensive in the Ebro. At the end of the year she was again deployed in the Segre front, [ 10 ] participating in the offensive of Catalonia . [ 11 ]
The division was dissolved after the end of the contest.
- Alpert , Michael (1977). The Republican Army in the Civil War . Iberian.
- Engel , Carlos (2000). History of the divisions of the national army . Almena Editions.
- Maldonado , José M.ª (2007). The front of Aragon. The Civil War in Aragon (1936-1938) . Look Editors. ISBN 978-84-8465-237-3 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1978). The Battle of the Ebro . Madrid: San Martín.
- -- (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- —— (1979). The Campaign of Catalonia . Madrid: San Martín.
- VV.AA. (1990). General history of Spain and America XVII . The second republic and the civil war . Madrid: Rialp Editions.