53rd Division (People's Army of the Republic) - 53.ª División (Ejército Popular de la República)
|Active||April 1938-March 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 53rd Division was one of the divisions of the People's Army of the Republic that were organized during the Spanish Civil War on the basis of the Mixed Brigades . It was deployed on the Levante front.
During 1937 on the North front there had already been a division that used this numbering. [ n. 1 ]
In the spring of 1938, within the XVII Army Corps , a division was created that was numbered "53". [ 5 ] Command fell to Marine Infantry Captain Eugenio Franquelo Ramírez . In June the division was sent to the Levante front, where - integrated into the XX Army Corps - it resisted the Franco offensive that sought to conquer Valencia. During the rest of the war the division remained on this front, without participating in relevant military operations.
The division dissolved itself towards the end of the war, in March 1939.
- Chiefs of Staff
Order of battle
|Date||Attached Army Corps||Integrated Mixed Brigades||Battle front|
|April 30, 1938||XVII Army Corps||192.ª , 193.ª y 194.ª||General reserve|
|June 28, 1938||XX Army Corps||36.ª y 208.ª||Levante|
|August 1938||XX Army Corps||36.ª , 203.ª y 208.ª||Levante|
- This unit, commanded by the militia major Francisco Bravo Quesada , had been created in the summer of 1937 within the XV Army Corps (Santander). [ 1 ] It inherited the structure of the old "2nd Santander Division", of which the infantry commander José Bueno Quejo [ 2 ] and Lieutenant Colonel José Gállego Aragüés had been leaders . [ 3 ] The new unit was made up of the 170th , 171st and 172nd mixed brigades ; [ 1 ] [4 ] would have a very short operational life, as it was would be destroyed during the Battle of Santander .
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- Solla Gutiérrez , Miguel Ángel (2010). The besieged Republic. Thirteen months of Civil War in Cantabria . Santander: Editions of the University of Cantabria.