55th Division (Franco's Army) - 55.ª División (Ejército franquista)
|Enrique Adrados Semper|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 55th Division was a Division of the Francoist Army that fought in the Spanish Civil War . Framed in the army corps of Aragon and Galicia , the division came to take part in the battles of Aragon and Levante .
The unit was created on April 20, 1937 from the «Position and Stages Brigade», being under the command of Engineer Colonel Enrique Adrados Semper . [ 1 ] [ 2 ] In the spring of 1938, framed in the Army Corps of Aragon , the unit participated in the Aragon offensive . On March 25, he broke the republican front, occupying the towns of Castejón de Monegros , Monegrillo or Lanaja . [ 1 ] It would be assigned to the «Agrupación García Valiño» - together with the 1st Division of Navarra -, [3 ] in cooperation with which he managed to conquer the towns of Fatarella , Gandesa , Corbera , Pinell or Batea . [ 4 ]
After the end of operations in Aragon, the division was sent south to participate in the Levante campaign . [ 5 ] She became part of the Galician Army Corps , [ 6 ] under the command of General Antonio Aranda . At the end of April it began its advance from Morella , along with the 84th Division , although it encountered strong resistance from Republican forces. [ 7 ] Later it would be integrated into the "Alonso Vega Group" together with the 4th Division of Navarra , [ 8 ]Entering the province of Castellón. On July 8 he managed to conquer Villavieja , [ 9 ] although his subsequent advances would be unsuccessful.
The 55th Division was disbanded after the end of the contest.
- Cabrera Castillo , Francisco (2002). From the Ebro to Gandesa. The battle of the Ebro, July-November 1938 . Battlement.
- de Paz Sánchez , Manuel (2004). Military Masons of Spain: Biographical Dictionary of the 20th Century . UNED Alzira-Valencia.
- Engel , Carlos (2000). History of the divisions of the national army . Almena Editions.
- Sánchez Ruano , Francisco (2004). Islam and the Spanish Civil War: Moors with Franco and with the Republic . The Sphere of Books.
- VV.AA. (1990). General history of Spain and America XVII . The second republic and the civil war . Madrid: Rialp Editions.