58th Mixed Brigade (People's Army of the Republic) - 58.ª Brigada Mixta (Ejército Popular de la República)
|58th Mixed Brigade|
|Active||January 1937 - March 1939|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
After the training period, she was assigned to the 41st Division , on the Teruel front. In July 1937 one of his battalions took part in the battle of Albarracín . Months later he would intervene in the battle of Teruel , having to face the Francoist attacks on the positions of Alto de Celadas and El Muletón, on January 14, 1938. Later he would go on to defend the city of Teruel - taken by the Republicans - and , again, the positions of El Mansueto. [ 1 ]
In February the unit was assigned to the newly created "Levante" Division - or "L" Division - along with the 57th Mixed Brigade . [ 2 ] With this new division it was intended to create an independent army corps. After the start of the Francoist offensive in Aragon, the 58th BM was sent as reinforcement to the front line, although it was not able to resist enemy pressure and had to withdraw. After the dissolution of its division, the brigade was assigned to the reserve of the XXI Army Corps . [ 1 ]
After its reorganization, added to the 19th Division , [ 3 ] it was sent to the front of Extremadura. He came to participate in the battle of the Merida Stock Exchange , in August 1938, although his intervention was not relevant. During the rest of the war, he did not stand out in any relevant military action.
- Commanders in Chief
- Cavalry Commander José Sellens Estruch ;
- Major of the militias Abelardo Belenguer Alcober ;
- Infantry Captain Miguel Condés Romero ;
- Infantry Commander Esteban Domingo Piña ;
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1975). Arrival at the sea . Madrid: San Martín. 84-7140-115-0 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.