5th Grand Ducal Hessian Infantry Regiment No. 168 - 5. Großherzoglich Hessisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 168
The association was formed with AKO from March 31, 1897 on May 1, 1897 from the IV. Battalion of the Infantry Regiments No. 115 and 116 , the I. Battalion of the Infantry Regiment No. 117 and the II. Battalion of the Infantry Regiment No. 118 set up. The regiment of the 49th Infantry Brigade of the Grand Ducal Hessian (25th) Division was subordinate to it .
First World War
The association mobilized at the beginning of the First World War on August 2, 1914 and was subordinated to the 50th Reserve Infantry Brigade of the 25th Reserve Division . After the adoption by Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig , the regiment marched out on August 8th. From August 21, 1914, it took part in the advance through the neutral Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and subsequently in the battles at Neufchâteau and the Marne . This was followed by position battles in Champagne and Flanders , among others , until the regiment finally went to Poland on November 29, 1914 on the Eastern Frontwas relocated. From the end of March 1915 it was in service in the Carpathians , then fought in Galicia and off Brest-Litovsk before the regiment came to southern Hungary at the end of September 1915. In mid-December 1915, the association returned to the Western Front and moved into quarters around Sedan . It was then engaged in trench warfare in the Argonne and entered the fighting for Verdun in July 1916one. In mid-October, the regiment had to hand over the 6th Company to the newly formed Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 88. Pulled from the front at the beginning of November 1916, it took up relatively quiet positions south of St. Souplet in Champagne from the middle of the month. Here the association was expanded on December 11, 1916 by a 2nd and 3rd MG company. At the end of January 1917, the regiment was used again in front of Verdun . In August 1917 it suffered heavy losses in the fighting there, was pulled from the front and transported to Saarburg on August 27th . After a period of rest, the regiment moved from the beginning of November 1916 to mid-April 1918 positions in Champagne. This was followed by Montdidier , Roye andSaint-Quentin on duty. Here on September 27, 1918 parts of the III. Battalion of the disbanded Infantry Regiment 418 integrated into the association. In addition, the regiment received an MW company on October 12, 1918 .
Shortly afterwards, as a result of the dissolution of the 25th Reserve Division of the 41st Reserve Infantry Brigade of the 21st Reserve Division, the regiment was in constant defensive and retreat battles until the end of the war. Finally the regiment formed into two battalions.
After the armistice , they marched back home, where the regiment was demobilized in Butzbach on December 18, 1918 and disbanded on April 1, 1919. In January 1919 a volunteer battalion with MG company and MW platoon was formed from parts , which then in June 1919 in the III. Battalion of the Reichswehr Rifle Regiment 35 of the Provisional Reichswehr rose. 
The tradition in the Reichswehr was adopted by the 10th and 11th companies of the 15th Infantry Regiment by decree of the Chief of Army Command, General of the Infantry Hans von Seeckt , on August 24, 1921 . In the Wehrmacht , the 36th Infantry Regiment in Friedberg continued the tradition.
|Oberst||Hermann von Hanneken||April 1, 1897 to July 2, 1899|
|Oberst||Franz Wundsch||July 3, 1899 to April 23, 1902|
|Oberst||Walter von Jablonowski||April 24, 1902 to August 19, 1904|
|Oberst||Richard Ochwaldt||August 20, 1904 to October 14, 1906|
|Oberst||Johannes Riedel||October 15, 1906 to July 3, 1910|
|Oberst||Karl Neuhauß||July 4, 1910 to September 30, 1913|
|Oberst||Esch||October 1, 1913 to July 3, 1914|
|Oberst||Friedrich Kundt||July 4th to October 5th 1914|
|Lieutenant colonel||Maximilian von Pfeil||October 6, 1914 to December 29, 1916|
|Lieutenant colonel||Karl-Hermann Lockemann||December 30, 1916 to 1917|
|Oberst||Bernhard Fabarius||1917 to 1919|
|Oberst||Paul von Zglinicki||1919|
The regiment was the only one in the German army that had white numbers on red epaulettes. Otherwise yellow numbers were always used.
- Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Publishing house Militaria. Vienna 2007. ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 . P. 259.
- Adolf Soldan: 5th Grand Ducal Hessian Infantry Regiment No. 168. (Reminder sheets of German regiments - Prussian share. Volume 110). Oldenburg, Berlin 1924. Digitally available: Württembergische Landesbibliothek
- FW Deiß: The Hessians in World War 1914–1918. Publishing house Wilhelm Glaß & Co. Charlottenburg. o. JS 80-97.
- Excerpt from the military convention between Prussia and the other federal states: “By military convention between Prussia and the other federal states, the federal princes concerned have ceded their rights to appoint officers of their contingents to his majesty the German emperor. Your troops are under the Prussian administration or are completely merged with the Prussian army. " (The latter concerned, for example, Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Reuss.)
- Ranking list of the German Reichsheeres , Ed .: Reichswehrministerium , ES Mittler & Sohn . Berlin 1930. p. 206
- Hall of Fame of our Old Army , published on the basis of official material from the Reichsarchiv , Militär-Verlag, Berlin 1927, p. 22.
- Jürgen Kraus: Handbook of the units and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Publishing house Militaria. Vienna 2007. ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 . P. 259.
- Günter Wegmann (Ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The staffing of the active infantry regiments as well as the hunter and machine gun battalions, military district commands and training managers from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag. Osnabrück 1992. ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 . P. 375f.