5th Hanover Infantry Regiment No. 165 - 5. Hannoversches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 165
5th Hanover Infantry Regiment No. 165
|active||April 1, 1897 to April 1, 1919|
|State||Kingdom of Prussia|
|Armed forces||Prussian Army|
|Branch of service||Infantry|
|Insinuation||X. Armee-Korps / IV. Armee-Korps|
|Location||Goslar , Quedlinburg and Blankenburg|
|Motto||"Faithful in the storm, stuck in loyalty"|
The association was set up on March 24, 1813 as the light field battalion "Lüneburg" of the Hanoverian army . In Lüneburg, which at that time still belonged to the Kingdom of Westphalia , Lieutenant Colonel Albrecht von Estorff , on behalf of Colonel von Tettenborn , called for the voluntary formation of a hussar regiment. From this regiment emerged the "Estorff'schen Jäger" during the war of independence against Napoleonic France. On April 2, 1813, the first battle against the French took place in Lüneburg. In August 1813 the battalion was transferred to the Russian-German Legion of General von Wallmoden-Gimbornincorporated. On January 25, 1814, the Lüneburg, Celle, Gifhorn Landwehr battalions and the Lüneburg field battalion were merged to form the Lüneburg Infantry Regiment.
Wars of Liberation
In the war against Denmark in 1864, the regiment was not actively involved in combat operations. It only occupied parts of Holstein and was used to protect the Elbe and Weser estuaries in Bremerhaven , Neuhaus and Stade .
During the war against Prussia , the regiment took part in the battle of Langensalza on June 27, 1866 . After the capitulation, the Kingdom of Hanover was occupied by Prussia and subsequently annexed, and the regiment was dissolved along with the army.
In the course of the army increase, the Infantry Regiment No. 165 was established on April 1, 1897 . The 1st battalion was formed from the IV battalions of infantry regiments No. 79 and 82 , and the II battalion was formed from regiments 77 and 92 . The regimental staff and the 1st battalion were stationed in Goslar (from 1909 in Quedlinburg), the 2nd battalion in Blankenburg.
The regiment was initially under the X Army Corps . It formed the 82nd Infantry Brigade of the 20th Division with Infantry Regiment No. 164 . On January 24, 1899, Wilhelm II decreed that the regiment was to be regarded as one with the former 4th Infantry Regiment of the Hanoverian Army and set the foundation day for March 24, 1813. At the same time, the association was given a national team name and was called the 5th Hanover Infantry Regiment No. 165 until it was dissolved .
In May 1899 the subordination changed. The regiment came to the IV. Army Corps and formed the 14th Infantry Brigade of the 7th Division with the infantry regiment "Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia" (2nd Magdeburg) No. 27 .
In 1909 the 1st Battalion and the regimental staff moved into the newly built infantry barracks in Quedlinburg . The III. The regiment's battalion was set up there in the following weeks and also moved into these barracks. The 2nd Battalion had its garrison in Blankenburg .
First World War
At the beginning of the First World War , the regiment mobilized on August 2, 1914 and, as part of the IV Army Corps, moved through neutral Belgium into northern France. Here it suffered heavy losses in the Battle of the Marne , so that the 1st and 2nd Battalion had to be combined. By spare the I. and II. Battalion was established on 16 October 1914, three companies again and from 7 December 1914 consisted each battalion back from four companies. In 1915 the regiment took part on the Western Front in the fighting on the Aisne , the Loretto Battle , the Autumn Battle at La Bassée and Arrasas well as the battle of Loos . In 1916 position battles followed in the Artois and Flanders . In October 1916 the regiment received a 2nd and 3rd MG company. From April to May 1917 the association took part in the spring battle near Arras and then fought in Flanders . In 1918 the regiment was again in Artois, Flanders, Ypres, on the Avre and the Matz . After heavy losses again, the 1st Battalion had to be disbanded on September 20, 1918. A few days later a 1st Battalion could be formed from parts of the disbanded Infantry Regiment No. 184. During the fighting at Souainwere the II. and III. Battalion almost completely destroyed. The remnants formed a company each. By the beginning of October 1918, the regiment was so decimated that the remaining soldiers were drawn together to form a combat battalion. In a makeshift manner, the regimental association could be re-established by the middle of the month. During the fighting for Fleury, the 1st Battalion was taken prisoner at the end of October 1918.
After the Armistice of Compiègne , the remnants of the regiment returned to their home garrisons, where they arrived on December 24, 1918 and were then demobilized . Various free formations were formed from the individual units . The staff formed the staff of the Landesschützen-Regiment 1 in the volunteer Landesschützen-Korps. In addition, from the III. Battalion, the volunteer battalion "Gruson" as well as a volunteer company and a volunteer machine-gun company. The formations went up with the formation of the Provisional Reichswehr in June 1919 in the Reichswehr-Schützen-Regiment 8.
The tradition in the Reichswehr was adopted by the 6th Company of the 12th Infantry Regiment in Quedlinburg on August 24, 1921, by decree of the Chief of Army Command, General der Infanterie Hans von Seeckt .
|Oberst||Ludwig Koenigk||April 1, 1897 to April 17, 1900|
|Oberst||Fritz von Weller||April 18, 1900 to April 17, 1903|
|Oberst||Paul from Gregory||April 18, 1903 to September 10, 1907|
|Oberst||Konrad Hardt||September 11, 1907 to June 18, 1909|
|Oberst||Karl von Kehler||June 19, 1909 to February 17, 1913|
|Oberst||Burghard von Oven||February 18, 1913 to August 7, 1914|
|Oberst||Johannes von Dassel||August 14, 1914 to January 24, 1915|
|Lieutenant colonel||Feodor von Puttkamer||January 25, 1915 to February 1918|
|Lieutenant colonel||Ernst von Beyer||February to March 8, 1918|
|Major||Paul von Weller||March 9, 1918 to January 1919|
|Major||Ernst Gruson||January 10, 1919 until dissolution|
The regiment was based on the uniforms typical of the Battle of Waterloo : a colorful skirt with red, Brandenburg arm cuffs, red shoulder pieces with yellow numerals and a yellow lined eagle with a bandeau. On the occasion of the naming in 5th Hanover Infantry Regiment No. 165, Wilhelm II awarded the association the helmet strap with the inscription "Waterloo".
Over 3,600 members of the regiment lost their lives in the First World War. To commemorate this, a memorial was erected on the market church in Quedlinburg on July 27, 1924 . In 1930 it was moved in front of the officers' mess of the 2nd Battalion, the traditional part of Infantry Regiment No. 165, on Waterlooplatz. In 1946 it was dismantled and destroyed after the Second World War .
- Gerhard Bauer, Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army. 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 , pp. 255-256.
- Kuno Kleveman: History of the 5th Hanoverian Infantry Regiment No. 165 for the NCOs and men. Publishing house Kircher.
- Kuno Kleveman: History of the 5th Hanoverian Infantry Regiment No. 165. 1813–1913. Self-published by the regiment, 1913.
- Günter Wegmann (Ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The occupation of the active infantry regiments as well as Jäger and MG battalions, military district commands and training managers from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1992, ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 , pp. 372–373 .