5th (Prussian) Infantry Regiment (Reichswehr) - 5. (Preußisches) Infanterie-Regiment (Reichswehr)
5th (Prussian) Infantry Regiment
|active||1921 to 1934|
|Armed forces||Imperial Army|
|Branch of service||Infantry|
The regiment was formed on January 1, 1921 from the Reichswehr Infantry Regiments 3, 6 and 115 and the Reichswehr Rifle Regiment 4 of the transitional army . On May 29, 1922, the regiment was given the country team name "Prussian" in addition to its name. 
In the course of the expansion of the Reichswehr, the regiment was divided into the first wave in 1934 and the Stettin Infantry Regiment and the Rostock Infantry Regiment were formed.
- Stettin : Regimental Staff, 1st Battalion and 13th ( MW ) Company
- Prenzlau : 2nd battalion with staff, 7th and 8th companies
- Angermünde : 2nd battalion, 5th and 6th companies
- Rostock: III. Bataillon
- Greifswald : Training Battalion
|No.||Name||Beginning of the appointment||End of appointment|
|1.||Colonel Hans Tieschowitz von Tieschowa||January 1, 1921||December 31, 1922|
|2.||Colonel Leopold Heisterman von Ziehlberg||January 1, 1923||30. April 1925|
|3.||Colonel Kuhlwein von Rathenow||May 1, 1925||1928|
|4.||Oberst/Generalmajor Curt Liebmann||March 1, 1928||February 28, 1930|
|5.||Colonel Noack||March 1, 1930||January 31, 1931|
|6.||Colonel Curt von Eine||February 1, 1931||30. September 1932|
|7.||Colonel Max von Viebahn||October 1, 1932||30. September 1934|
|8.||Colonel Friedrich-Wilhelm von Chappuis||October 1, 1934||March 1, 1938|
The regiment consisted of the regimental staff with a news relay
- 1st battalion with staff and news relay, emerged from the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 3,
- 2nd battalion with staff and news relay, emerged from the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 115,
- III. Battalion with staff and news relay, emerged from the Reichswehr Rifle Regiment 4 and the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 3,
- Supplementary battalion, from March 23, 1921 a training battalion, emerged from the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 6.
Each field battalion was divided into three companies of three officers and 161 NCOs and men (3/161) as well as a machine gun company (4/126). In total, a battalion consisted of 18 officers and officials (including medical officers) and 658 men.
Armament and equipment
In the machine gun companies, the 1st platoon consisted of three groups with three MG 08 heavy machine guns on a carriage, drawn in four horses, the 2nd to 4th platoon consisted of three groups with three MG 08 heavy machine guns on a carriage, drawn in two horses.
The heaviest weapons in the regiment were the mine throwers in the 13th Company. The 1st train was equipped with two medium-sized launchers 17 cm, drawn in four horses, the 2nd and 3rd train with three light launchers 7.6 cm, driven in two horses.
Takeover of tradition
- 1st and 2nd company: Grenadier Regiment "King Friedrich Wilhelm IV." (1st Pomeranian) No. 2
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th Company: Fusilier Regiment "Queen Victoria of Sweden" (Pomeranian) No. 34
- 5th Company: Queen Elisabeth Guard Grenadier Regiment No. 3
- 6th Company: 5th Guards Regiment on foot
- 7th and 8th companies: Guard Fusilier Regiment
- 9th Company: 3rd Upper Silesian Infantry Regiment No. 62
- 10th Company: Grenadier Regiment "King Friedrich I." (4th East Prussian) No. 5
- 11th Company: 6th Pomeranian Infantry Regiment no. 49
- 12th Company: Infantry Regiment "Prince Moritz von Anhalt-Dessau" (5th Pomeranian) No. 42
- 13th Company: Prussian Air Force
- 14th and 16th company: Infantry Regiment "Grand Duke Friedrich Franz II. Of Mecklenburg-Schwerin" (4th Brandenburg) No. 24
- 15th Company: 9th West Prussian Infantry Regiment No. 176
- Georg Tessin : German associations and troops 1918-1939, Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1974, ISBN 3-7648-1000-9 , pp. 187ff
- Edgar Graf von Matuschka: Organization of the Reichsheeres in a manual on German military history 1648–1939 , published by the Military History Research Office , Freiburg (Breisgau), Part VI: Reichswehr and Republic (1918–1933) , Bernard & Graefe Verlag für Wehrwesen, Frankfurt am Main 1970 , Pp. 320-322.