House Albertsplatz 5 / 5a - Haus Albertsplatz 5/5a
The house Albertsplatz 5 / 5a in the Upper Franconian town of Coburg is a neo-Gothic residential and commercial building that was built from 1874 and is listed as a monument in the Bavarian list of monuments.
After the confectioner Rudolf Weiß acquired a two-story wooden house on Rosengasse in December 1872, he commissioned the ducal building inspector Hans Rothbart to build a multi-part residential building on the north side of Albertsplatz. In the first phase of construction, the wooden house was converted into a massive residential building in 1874 and an additional building was added to the east in 1876. In 1880, a five-storey crenellated residential tower followed as the eastern end. In 1910, a risalit to accommodate sanitary facilities was added on the side facing the Rosengasse. Renovations were carried out in 1977/78  and 2010/11. In 2011 the historical company lettering was replaced as part of a facade renovationRudolph Weiss - candy factory restored. Until 1975 the candy production was operated on the first floor and the confectionery wholesale and retail trade on the ground floor.  A plaque on the east side of house 5a commemorates the Coburg city painter Emil Maurer, who lived on the fourth floor of the residential tower from 1901 until his death on November 12, 1945. 
The building complex that defines the cityscape is part of a neo-Gothic development ring along the former city wall. At Albertsplatz, it is closed at the eastern end by a five-storey, crenellated residential tower, which marks the location of the inner ketch gate, which was demolished in 1791. To the west follows a three-storey eaves side house , the south facade of which has two four-storey, three-axis dwarf risalite . A two-storey villa with a centrally arranged, three-storey gable risalit forms the north-western end. The house has a small front garden and is set back on the remains of the high medieval wall. The same ridge, eaves and storey heights as well as design elements such as crenellations and arched friezes under the eaves structure and unite the individual building parts.
- Peter Morsbach, Otto Titz: City of Coburg. Ensembles-Architectural Monuments-Archaeological Monuments . Monuments in Bavaria. Volume IV.48. Karl M. Lipp Verlag, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-87490-590-X , pp. 28-29
- Helmut Wolter: The house book of the city of Coburg 1400-1945, Volume 4: Albertsplatz Angerstraße , Verlag Frankenschwelle, Hildburghausen 2002, ISBN 3-86180-145-0 , pp. 76-78
- Peter Morsbach, Otto Titz: City of Coburg. Ensembles-Architectural Monuments-Archaeological Monuments . P. 28
- Memory in mulled wine red . In: Coburger Tageblatt , May 7, 2011
- Helmut Wolter: The house book of the city of Coburg 1400 - 1945, Volume 4: Albertsplatz Angerstraße , p. 79