DR 581/582 to 615/616 - DR 581/582 bis 615/616
|DR 581/82 – 615/16|
ETA 179 005 in the Weimar Railway Museum as in 2005
|Numbering:||DR: 581/582–615/616 |
DB: ETA 179
DR: AT 585/586–AT 591/592, AT 613/614
|Manufacturer:||WUMAG , Wegmann , Gastell , Bergmann , SSW|
|Year of construction (s):||1926–1928|
|Axis formula :||2A + A2|
|Gauge :||1435 mm (Normalspur)|
|Length over buffers:||29.220 mm|
|Total wheelbase:||9200 mm|
|Service mass:||70,0 t|
|Top speed:||60 km / h|
|Continuous output :||142 kW to 172 kW|
|Wheel diameter:||1.000 mm|
|Brake:||Clog brake , spindle handbrake|
Due to the positive experience with the accumulator railcars of the Wittfeld type , the Deutsche Reichsbahn initially procured two railcars developed by WUMAG in Görlitz. They were given the numbers 215/216 and 217/218 (later 581/582 and 583/594). In 1927/28 16 more double railcars were delivered. These were given the generic designation A8 and the numbers 585/586 to 615/616.
After the Second World War, eleven double multiple units remained with the Deutsche Bundesbahn and were classified there as the ETA 179 series . The DB decommissioned them by 1960. After an accident, the ETA 179 005 was given a new front section with a flatter front end and a driver's cab widened to the width of the car body.
In 1945, the Deutsche Reichsbahn left five double TW, AT 585/586 – AT 591/592 and AT 613/614, where they kept their old numbers. They were retired by 1968. Their last operational area was the railway lines around Gotha .
The individual wagons of the double railcars each had three sets of wheels , which were evenly spaced 4600 mm apart. The last axle at the close coupling end of the car was driven by these . The accumulators were located under the floor of the car, so that only short front ends were required. The car body was pulled in in the area of the driver's cabs and the passenger entrances. The driver's cabs had their own entry doors on both sides, there were entry doors for the passengers on both sides behind the driver's cab and on the left side of the short coupling end of each car. One car had two 2nd class compartmentsand one of the 3rd class, plus a lockable room for mail and the like. The other car had a 3rd class compartment and a cargo compartment and a toilet. The seat division was in the 3rd class 2 + 3 or 2 + 2, it was changed more often during renovations. The two car parts were connected with a bellows transition . The first two railcars were painted dark green, the series delivery was cream / red from the start. On the DB, the railcars were painted red with a white decorative stripe, on the DR it was painted cream / red with a red stripe below the roof edge.
The railcars had a total of 168 battery elements, which were manufactured by the AFA .
The railcar AT 589/590 was preserved as a non-operational exhibit of the Dresden Transport Museum. Compared to the standard version with a curved stem, it has a modified stem with a cover that is sloping towards the front. During the long years of storage in Meuselwitz , Schwarzenberg , Gerstungen , Schenklengsfeld and Eisenach , the vehicles lost a lot of their substance. In an extremely bad condition he came to the Thuringian Railway Association in 2001 . V. to Weimar , where an external work-up was started. In 2009 the railcar was taken over by IG Hirzbergbahn in Gotha, which is continuing the work.
- Rolf Ostendorf: Little howler with a big snout . In: railway magazine . No. 5, 2015, ISSN 0342-1902, S. 12–13.
- Website of the Thuringian Railway Association on AT 589/590 ( Memento from August 29, 2013 in the Internet Archive )